Sign in to follow this  
inquisitor6

Ranking, Wealth & the Passage of Time

Hey folks.

I'm starting my group out in the premade adventures at Rank 2, and have some questions.

How much money should I give them to compensate for start at R2 instead of R1? I may start them a little into R2 instead of at the start of R2, though I haven't completely decided this yet.

And how do folks here mark the passage of time outside of the adventures? It appears to make a difference as they can make money through Trades and the like during that time, as well as the Inquisition's padding of their wallets.

Ideas?

I

I like to restrict monetary gain in my games.  Here is why, I have run games where players have had a nearly infinite amount of money, and games where i have given them barely enough to get by on, and honestly, the best equipment  verses the bare essentials has not made that much of a difference in the game, it more just makes it more complicated.  I finally decided that i like them having less gear becuase it forces them to work harder and to think out of the box more, which creates some fairly epic situations.  So, I give them very little opportunity to scavenge things to sell / trade and when I do I make it so that they really have to work to sell it.  (one of them got a hold of and eldar shuriken catapult, took a lot of work on the players part to sell it.)

So, starting in rank 2 I would give them the starting amount, + 2 months rank 1 pay + 1 month rank 2 pay.  but to off set this a little I would allow them to ignore rarity for purchases during character generation with the added income.

(example for a guardsman starting 70+1d10 (7) + Rank 1x2 50x2 + Rank 2 55 = 232 thrones to buy what he wants)

As for the passage of time, how long do they spend during a mission / campaign?  + down time in between missions, down time is entirely up to you, I usually go for 20 - 40 days between missions, gives them a bit of extra money from the monthly pay, but they still have to save it up to buy anything useful.  Remember that the Income a player receives includes his Inquisitions pay and any side jobs / trades / thefts he does in down time.  Anything specifically earned during a session should not count toward that, becuase we know where it comes from.

I started my group at R2 so gave them, starting cash, rank 1 and one rank 2 and then allowed then to buy equipment with using availiblity from the book as they saw fit.  I also handed out max cash this hasn't given the cell an over abundace of cash.  I also hand out their salary as each month passes this mostly happens in transit between adventures.

A little help with them starting beyond the first rank you could get them to perform the task set in the Ascension book, give them  mission title and a place and have them tell you the adventure, what they did, why, and against who? this makes them feel they earned the extra XP and means that as characters they have worked together before so they kinda know each other.