Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Any guesses for Boromir, as it seems rather probable that he was mentioned for the Dead Marshes expansion... You can put what you'd like to see and/or what you expect seeing.

I'd like something like this:

Boromir

Leadership Sphere

Gondor, Noble, Warrior

Threat Cost 11

Will Power 1

Attack 3

Defense 2

Hit Points 5

Boromir can be assigned as a defender to any number of engaged enemies.

If you attach Horn of Gondor to Boromir, he gains a Tactics resource icon.

I realize it seems quite too strong but I'd like that. It would give Horn of Gondor a much better use, as it is sort of weak right now. I'll be happy if Boromir is Leadership and not Tactics, it makes more sense to me when you already have Theodred and Faramir in the sphere, as opposed to having Legolas and Gimli in the Tactics.

PS I expect something different although all the (5) numbers are hard to imagine differently. And the defending thing is quite thematic, I believe.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd make him Tactics, with gaining a Leadership icon once he gets the Horn of Gondor (so that you can logically play him and the Horn in the same deck).

Make him able to block an additional ennemy instead, if you think he's currently too strong. Or maybe something similar to Aragorn, but applying to combat (such as pay 1 resource to ready him after he attacks or defends, use once per turn).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it is Boromir, I agree he should be a Tactics hero as his Horn is in Tactics as well.

But the 'dramatic scene' of Boromir's death is actually not in Fellowship but in Two Towers, unless FFG have messed up in their description and were thinking of the movies...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

SiCK_Boy said:

 

I'd make him Tactics, with gaining a Leadership icon once he gets the Horn of Gondor (so that you can logically play him and the Horn in the same deck).

Make him able to block an additional ennemy instead, if you think he's currently too strong. Or maybe something similar to Aragorn, but applying to combat (such as pay 1 resource to ready him after he attacks or defends, use once per turn).

 

 

It makes sense to me.

Your way of Horn of Gondor and a resource icon is much better in terms of the game. He'd be able to produce the resource for which he'd play the Horn and then gain the Leadership icon. My way would require to have a Tactics hero already - not great. Thematicaly though, I find it more fit that he'd be Leadership and Horn would grant Tactics. But I think they will use neither, it will make Aragorn's ability less special perhaps. Although he may seem too strong compared to others now - and the cost does not really drawback too much.

To ready after attack is also a nice idea. Blocking more than 1 enemy is again very thematic perhaps but in playing terms it could mean a probable death.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ClydeCloggie said:

 

If it is Boromir, I agree he should be a Tactics hero as his Horn is in Tactics as well.

But the 'dramatic scene' of Boromir's death is actually not in Fellowship but in Two Towers, unless FFG have messed up in their description and were thinking of the movies...

 

 

His death yes but the dramatic scene with Frodo is indeed at the end of the Fellowship.

They may have got confused though by the film experience.

I really cannot think of another character (that has not been published yet) that would fit their description. The Balrog is surelly not a Hero.

ps: If Boromir really ends up in Tactics as the vast majority thinks now, it would make the family divided into three spheres: Denethor (Lore), Faramir (Leadership), Boromir (Tactics). It would be fit and funny then if we get Finduilas in Spirit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lleimmoen said:

ClydeCloggie said:

 

If it is Boromir, I agree he should be a Tactics hero as his Horn is in Tactics as well.

But the 'dramatic scene' of Boromir's death is actually not in Fellowship but in Two Towers, unless FFG have messed up in their description and were thinking of the movies...

 

 

His death yes but the dramatic scene with Frodo is indeed at the end of the Fellowship.

They may have got confused though by the film experience.

I really cannot think of another character (that has not been published yet) that would fit their description. The Balrog is surelly not a Hero.

ps: If Boromir really ends up in Tactics as the vast majority thinks now, it would make the family divided into three spheres: Denethor (Lore), Faramir (Leadership), Boromir (Tactics). It would be fit and funny then if we get Finduilas in Spirit.

Sam, Pippin and Merry are still missing from the fellowship. Other than Pippin's stupidity and Merry's cleverness in Moria, there's not too much dramatic stuff going on with either of the three in Fellowship; for them it all happens later. So Boromir does seem like the best bet. For me, the most dramatic scene of Fellowship is with the river horses where Glorfindel conjures up white horses from the river to stop the Nazgul from crossing. in MECCG, Gandalf got the credits with the Wizard's River-horses card, in the films it was Arwen, and of course we've already got Glorfindel in this game. But meh. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ClydeCloggie said:

 

Sam, Pippin and Merry are still missing from the fellowship. Other than Pippin's stupidity and Merry's cleverness in Moria, there's not too much dramatic stuff going on with either of the three in Fellowship; for them it all happens later. So Boromir does seem like the best bet. For me, the most dramatic scene of Fellowship is with the river horses where Glorfindel conjures up white horses from the river to stop the Nazgul from crossing. in MECCG, Gandalf got the credits with the Wizard's River-horses card, in the films it was Arwen, and of course we've already got Glorfindel in this game. But meh. 

 

Sam's and Frodo's poem for Gandalf in Lothlorien is more dramatic in my eyes.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Boromir will be Tactics.

My son and I made a custom hero of him that we use for "fun" games.  We gave him an ability that works well with Horn of Gondor.  I don't have the card here with me, so I'm doing this from memory:

"Response: After Boromir attacks an enemy or is declared a defender, shuffle a Gondor ally into its owner's deck to deal 2 damage to an enemy engaged with you."

We feel like it makes a good "tactics" card, since it triggers on tactics-type actions like attacking and defending, it has the damage effect common to tactics cards, plus the shuffle like Beorn, who is also tactics.  The Gondor requirement ties it to his culture to keep it balanced, and the synergy with Horn of Gondor makes it playable.  The allies eventually keep coming out of your deck to be played again and again, making it stronger as the game progresses - as long as Boromir stays alive that is...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

qwertyuiop said:

 It kills me that you guys don't consider the betrayal of a close ally as dramatic.  It's a major catalyst in the story.

Do you mean Boromir's attempt to grab the ring? It's dramatic alright!

But I can't see how that would translate well to a hero's card text. "Forced: whenever you play an attachment and give it to another character than Boromir, reveal one card from the encounter deck. If the threat on this card is higher than Boromir's willpower, Boromir immediately attacks. You may declare one character as a defender to this attack." doesn't do it for me.

His redemption in saving Merry and Pippin, aye, but that's in Two Towers.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, what if Boromir were a very powerful hero with some sort of drawback like negative willpower (when he's in play, not just questing)? That could be interesting.

I've actually been rereading Fellowship, and the part where Tom Bombadil saves the hobbits from the Barrow-wights is actually pretty dramatic. Could that be it? Though I have the feeling they'd save Bombadil for future quests in the Old Forest/Barrow-downs area.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ClydeCloggie said:

qwertyuiop said:

 

 It kills me that you guys don't consider the betrayal of a close ally as dramatic.  It's a major catalyst in the story.

 

 

Do you mean Boromir's attempt to grab the ring? It's dramatic alright!

But I can't see how that would translate well to a hero's card text. "Forced: whenever you play an attachment and give it to another character than Boromir, reveal one card from the encounter deck. If the threat on this card is higher than Boromir's willpower, Boromir immediately attacks. You may declare one character as a defender to this attack." doesn't do it for me.

His redemption in saving Merry and Pippin, aye, but that's in Two Towers.

 

 

But he's still the valiant liberator of Osgiliath at this point. I think.  Or that ability gives him a threat cost of 2. :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ClydeCloggie said:

qwertyuiop said:

 

 It kills me that you guys don't consider the betrayal of a close ally as dramatic.  It's a major catalyst in the story.

 

 

Do you mean Boromir's attempt to grab the ring? It's dramatic alright!

But I can't see how that would translate well to a hero's card text. "Forced: whenever you play an attachment and give it to another character than Boromir, reveal one card from the encounter deck. If the threat on this card is higher than Boromir's willpower, Boromir immediately attacks. You may declare one character as a defender to this attack." doesn't do it for me.

His redemption in saving Merry and Pippin, aye, but that's in Two Towers.

 

When they mention the card's text, it could just be the flavour text?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On another thread I said Denether is perhaps given least justice in the movies. On the other hand, Boromir is portrayed wonderfully. Not only by Sean Bean who was just perfect for the role but also given the right screen time. It was a very good move to move his death till the end of the Fellowship of the Ring, it makes that film very special and just builds for the desperation the other members of the Fellowship are facing at the end.

It is a character who is a very interesting mix of strength and frailty which makes a perfect Lord of the Rings hero for me. I really hope I can play this character in my deck and not regret it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

lleimmoen said:

On another thread I said Denether is perhaps given least justice in the movies. On the other hand, Boromir is portrayed wonderfully. Not only by Sean Bean who was just perfect for the role but also given the right screen time. It was a very good move to move his death till the end of the Fellowship of the Ring, it makes that film very special and just builds for the desperation the other members of the Fellowship are facing at the end.

It is a character who is a very interesting mix of strength and frailty which makes a perfect Lord of the Rings hero for me. I really hope I can play this character in my deck and not regret it.

Why would you ever regret it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

qwertyuiop said:

lleimmoen said:

 

On another thread I said Denether is perhaps given least justice in the movies. On the other hand, Boromir is portrayed wonderfully. Not only by Sean Bean who was just perfect for the role but also given the right screen time. It was a very good move to move his death till the end of the Fellowship of the Ring, it makes that film very special and just builds for the desperation the other members of the Fellowship are facing at the end.

It is a character who is a very interesting mix of strength and frailty which makes a perfect Lord of the Rings hero for me. I really hope I can play this character in my deck and not regret it.

 

 

Why would you ever regret it?

Hehe, not regret it from the playing point of view. I mean I can tend to play cards that do not seem to fit best into my deck (Bilbo player) although I try to have a super-powerful deck, too (Boromir). I really like Boromir to the point that I will have him in a deck (not literally, of course, since he is a hero) nomatterwhat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wait---nobody considers eating with Farmer Maggot as dramatic?

Seriously though, I'd give Boromir a few more HPs. I don't remember the details of the scene from the book, but four-ish arrows to the chest? Boo-yah! He is definitely wearing plot armor made of iron.

Wait...3. Yes, I watched the entire movie just to find out. Allow me to re-read the book...

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

*He was sitting with his back to a great tree, as if he was resting. But Aragorn saw that he was pierced with many black feathered arrows; his sword was still in hand, but it was broken near the hilt; his horn cloven in two at his side. Many orcs lay slain, piled all about him and at his feet.*

J. R. R Tolkien The Two Towers Chapter 1 'The Departure of Boromir'

I always felt he went down too easily by comparison in the film. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spirit said:

 

*He was sitting with his back to a great tree, as if he was resting. But Aragorn saw that he was pierced with many black feathered arrows; his sword was still in hand, but it was broken near the hilt; his horn cloven in two at his side. Many orcs lay slain, piled all about him and at his feet.*

J. R. R Tolkien The Two Towers Chapter 1 'The Departure of Boromir'

I always felt he went down too easily by comparison in the film. 

 

 

Considering the passage in the book, the picture of it on the card Valiant Sacrifice, although done very nicely, is not very accurate. I mean there are no slain orcs around.

"Few have gained such a victory."

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spirit said:

*He was sitting with his back to a great tree, as if he was resting. But Aragorn saw that he was pierced with many black feathered arrows; his sword was still in hand, but it was broken near the hilt; his horn cloven in two at his side. Many orcs lay slain, piled all about him and at his feet.*

J. R. R Tolkien The Two Towers Chapter 1 'The Departure of Boromir'

I always felt he went down too easily by comparison in the film. 

 

He was shot by trees in the movie. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

qwertyuiop said:

spirit said:

 

*He was sitting with his back to a great tree, as if he was resting. But Aragorn saw that he was pierced with many black feathered arrows; his sword was still in hand, but it was broken near the hilt; his horn cloven in two at his side. Many orcs lay slain, piled all about him and at his feet.*

J. R. R Tolkien The Two Towers Chapter 1 'The Departure of Boromir'

I always felt he went down too easily by comparison in the film. 

 

 

 

He was shot by trees in the movie. 

 

Eh? what are you on about? He's shot 3 times by Lurtz the leader of the band of Uruk Hai.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

spirit said:

qwertyuiop said:

 

spirit said:

 

*He was sitting with his back to a great tree, as if he was resting. But Aragorn saw that he was pierced with many black feathered arrows; his sword was still in hand, but it was broken near the hilt; his horn cloven in two at his side. Many orcs lay slain, piled all about him and at his feet.*

J. R. R Tolkien The Two Towers Chapter 1 'The Departure of Boromir'

I always felt he went down too easily by comparison in the film. 

 

 

 

He was shot by trees in the movie. 

 

 

 

Eh? what are you on about? He's shot 3 times by Lurtz the leader of the band of Uruk Hai.

Yeah. Lurtz shot Boromir with trees. Those arrows were like one inch dowels.  I know he wasn't gunned down in his prime by an angry spruce or Mr. Douglas Fir.lengua.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...