Sign in to follow this  
Alaric0503

New Alien Species idea for Dark Heresy

Anyone ever thought of converting the Protoss from Starcraft into Dark Heresy stats? I think I might have to venture into this project and then post my results. If anyone has suggestions or has already done this then please tell me.

I would be a bit hesitant to actually use Protoss in 40k.  If it is mostly about the look, substitute Tau (note the physical similarity), possibly of a radical sept.  O'Shovah's sept makes for a good example of what might work for your story.   The hardest part from a continuity standpoint is explaining how and why the Tau are anywhere near the Calixis Sector (or perhaps your acolytes are not where they think they are anymore?)

Way back when I ran Maggots in the Meat for my group I rolled up a few pets for the Slaugh using the charts in the GM screen.  One of my critters ended up getting dubbed "Zerglings" by my players, because it was a fairly accurate description of what they were.   If there is demand I am pretty sure I still have their stat-block laying around here somewhere.   I also ended up with a different critter that was more or less an amorphous tentacle-monster.  The point being, if you are hard up for some semi-random xenos menace for a story you could do far worse than to sit down with the GM screen and roll up a few critters until you get what your story needs.

There is also a handy "NPC upgrade" random chart in there.  If I need to make a few named characters to attatch to otherwise cookie-cutter mook-mobs in a hurry, just roll a few times on the handy chart, add the changes to the basic mook template and then give them a name.   BOOM!  Veteran Sergeant Jones now has stand-alone stats and probably the skeleton of a personality as defined by his skill and attribute advances.

I agree with Zilla here. The niche is very much the same...then again, perhaps you simply dislike the Tau and their "greater good" or feel that they simply cannot show up where you want them to be. Or have a dislike for the Tau "range over closecombat" ...which is a point where the Protoss really differ from Tau.

Anyway, I am not THAT familiar with the protos (played SC only a couple of times). The only really striking thing about them seems their field technology.
So, simply take basic stats with not much modificatin ( = very similiar to humans) but grant them access to a lot of Energy Fields (I advise the field rules from ASCENSION...but if you do not have it, take those from IH) and give their Warriors lots of Energyblades (they were attacking with these strange bladed arm attachment, wheren´t they?)

Oh... and give them robots. Lot´s of robots. And walkers. =0) Tech-Priests are going to hate them, me thinks.

Traditional Tau do indeed embrace a ranged combat doctrine, both to enhance their technological advantages and to downplay their anatomical and philosophical shortcomings in close combat.  This is why I suggested substituting a renegade sept of Fire Warriors similar to the followers of the renegade Tau commander O'Shovah.  For those who are not familiar with him, he was exiled from Tau society for being too aggressive and militant and his followers embrace a variant school of combat that is far less shunning of close combat than is typical for the race, sometimes even going to the extreme of mounting sophisticated blade weapons on their armour.  Add Shield Drones and the assorted Tau skimmer vehicles and your renegade Tau are a fantastic 40K proxy for your Protoss idea.  To be sure, such Tau renegades are a bit lacking in Battle Suits compared to their more traditional Fire Warrior bretherin, but since you are talking about an Inquisitorial accolyte cell dealing with the "fish'eds" instead of a veteran Deathwatch kill team this is really not a problem at all.

Add an especially redneck Imperial Guard or Astartes unit and some Tyranid bioforms to the mix and you have Starcraft!

"SPAWN MORE NACHOS!"

And yes, the filthy degenerate xenos do not honour the machine spirits of their wargear.  They simply push buttons, throw switches and away they go.  BLASPHEMY!  Where are the prayers of appeasement, the annointing of blessed machine oil, the sanctification of prayer strips?  How can a warrior place his faith in such wargear?  Have faith and courage, my brothers!   For Drusis, for the EMPEROR! CHARGE!