Sign in to follow this  
Deadline247

Managing multiple monsters during combat

I'm just getting ready to begin GMing for my rather large Warhammer Fantasy game group, and I was wondering how some of you go about keeping track of monster hit points during combat. Do you follow the book suggestion of pulling a wound card for each creature and adding tokens to it for each wound they acquire (seems like it should be the other way around to me...start with a pile of tokens and then remove them as they get wounded), or do you use pencil and paper to keep track...or something else?

Seems like large combats would start to take up a lot of the GMs table space if he's got stacks and stacks of wound tokens laying around.

Just curious...

Deadline247 said:

I'm just getting ready to begin GMing for my rather large Warhammer Fantasy game group, and I was wondering how some of you go about keeping track of monster hit points during combat. Do you follow the book suggestion of pulling a wound card for each creature and adding tokens to it for each wound they acquire (seems like it should be the other way around to me...start with a pile of tokens and then remove them as they get wounded), or do you use pencil and paper to keep track...or something else?

Seems like large combats would start to take up a lot of the GMs table space if he's got stacks and stacks of wound tokens laying around.

Just curious...

I use a piece of paper for NPC wounds. Critical wounds I draw and put under the base of the NPC.

It's strange how some people think of wounds as hit points. My played also say they have 4 wounds left when they can in fact take 4 wounds more before being KO'ed

When you are healed you have no wounds on your body. Zero wounds. No cards to represent physical wounds. There are no hit points. When you are fully healed you have no wounds. You are completely healed.

When someone hit you you may get wounded and mechanically this is simulated by you drawing a number of wound cards to represent the wounds you have. If you get a critical wound. Someone cuts off your finger. You get a wound to match. The more wounded you are the more wound cards you have.

It makes perfectly sense to me... I never understood the whole hit points idea.

Doc, the Weasel said:

I started using a tracker, with a different token for each monster. Works great, and takes up the same amount of room regardless of how many guys you have out there.

Compared to having a piece of paper that wil get messy if you have 10+ NPCs

Sometimes simple just is good :D

I want to buy one of the new iPads though, so I can run everything from there.

Having purchased the Core box and later the GM's vault, I ended up with two decks of wound cards. So I just keep the second deck behind by screen and pull cards from it to represent wounds any NPCs/enemies have aquired.

Ludlov Thadwin of Sevenpiecks said:

I like to use non-Warhammer dice and place the number with the amount of wounds face up next to the monster's standup.

My players use this solution to track fatigue and stress, by the way.

Personally, I make monster reference sheets which I put into plastic sleeves and use wipe-off markers to keep track of their wounds. I've also used post-its when I haven't gotten around to making the reference sheets in time.