Sign in to follow this  
Sean Miller

tech priest doing something outlandish

i have been running a campaign and i feel i killed off an evil tech priest who had a lot of potential as a future villain. and i don't want to go all dues ex and just retcon the guy so i was wondering in the context of the 40k universe how outlandish would it be for a tech priest to transfer his consciousness into say a thunder hammer while it was crushing his head?  

Hallo,
in my understanding of the setting, it is far from likely: it's more suitable to a fantasy world than to Warhammer 40.000.

Yet, if you'd like to go on with your idea, I think you could appeal either to the Proteus Protocol (Disciples of the Dark Gods, pag. 44), maybe using it as a ritual/operation that didn't turn out as intended or that wasn't yet ready to be carried out when the techpriest was killed; or to a Dark Pact (Main Handbook, pag 241 and following), matching both with a healthy dose of irony.
Disciples of the Dark Gods (pagg. 119-121) could be a source of inspiration as for unholy and possessed weapons as well.

All in all, I still think though that a revived (and even more augmented) version of the dead techpriest would be more «believable» or fit for the setting. 

Rather than uploading his mind into a weapon, if he was sufficiently paranoid just declare that he made a backup of his mind in a heretek cogitator. It can later be transfered to a servitor, or perhaps the backup can take over a manufactory and trick the machines and workers into constructing a new body.

right i understand that it does not work that way exactly my justification is that pretty much every mundane object has some kind of A I or machine spirit and tech priests spend their entire lives making their brains into computers, its not a huuuge leap of faith to say this tech priest wrote himself onto another machine as it was killing him maybe even accidentaly,   and obviously i will put this thunder hammer into the players possession at some point and that scenario could yield some interesting role playing, thats my thought on the matter anyways but your constructive feedback is welcome

Ok, I was gonna suggest bringing him back by use of the heretek sciences such as an "anima aura" (Radical's Handbook, page46) or full cybernetic resurection powered by maleteck warp coil (Radical's Handbook, page 53) for some flavor, but you seem pretty set on this weapon incarnation bit.

So, here it goes;

In an effort to complete his life long ambition, the tech priest strikes a bargain with a demon to to cast-off his weak flesh and become pure information, a powerful and cunning data spirit, with a malign will of its own and an unsatiable hunger for knowledge. His body, now only a shell, simply housed his consciousness until he can find a large enough data core he could infect and consume all information within and then moving on to repeat the process(or some such thing).

But "lo and behold", inquisitorial agents have come to end this tech priest's insane schemes.  The fight was long and hard, but with a final blow to the head with a thunder hammer the Tech Priest was put down for good (or so it would seem). His shell, now destroyed, the malign data spirit infected the only system it could, a simple thunder haver, and now its waits patiently for an opportune moment to escape and wreak havoc.

Just give him some of the abilities of a "Schismatical" (Creatures Anathema, page 29), the rest can fall into place.

1) I doubt a thunder hammer has anything he could load himself into. Even if it did, the power field would keep him from actually touching it.

2) if you're absolutely determined to do this, then he shouldn't have anything but the barest bones of a personality left. Almost no memory and only few, very strong, emotional impulses.

Your still thinking he's just a normal data spirit, its a demon bargain, normal rules tend not to apply. Thats why I suggested that route. Plus Im just trying to come up with a half plausible exscuse to help out the OP with his idea.

Quartermus said:

Your still thinking he's just a normal data spirit, its a demon bargain, normal rules tend not to apply. Thats why I suggested that route. Plus Im just trying to come up with a half plausible exscuse to help out the OP with his idea.

Sorry, I was addressing the OP, not your post. If he's busy making deals with daemons then he could take over toenail clippers. And then **** your soul.

Sean Miller said:

right i understand that it does not work that way exactly my justification is that pretty much every mundane object has some kind of A I or machine spirit and tech priests spend their entire lives making their brains into computers, its not a huuuge leap of faith to say this tech priest wrote himself onto another machine as it was killing him maybe even accidentaly,   and obviously i will put this thunder hammer into the players possession at some point and that scenario could yield some interesting role playing, thats my thought on the matter anyways but your constructive feedback is welcome

It is. I can slam my USB-Stick as hard against my computer as I like, the data will not be transfered. Even -if- the hammer would be suiting in computer-capacity to host a human mind (...why should anywone but that storage into a hammer?), the datatransfer would need some kind of link. Unless the Hammer has some "wireless link".

Assuming both of this (capacity = check; vox-link = check...in a hammer) AND that the TP managed the upload just in the splitseconds that he realised that he won´t survive this....  no, this is a little more then "not a huuuge leap of faith".

If you want this comeback, I would advise the "he made a back-up copy off himself". If it -really- needs to be him. Otherwise, how about a peer of him? Somebody he was working with? Another "DarkMagus" or properly his Tutor.

I'm trying to come up with something for this and I'm having similar ideas to Quartermus - the most likely means of something like this happening in the setting would have to involve something along the lines of a schismatical.

I'd say there is an innate problem with the idea that, as pointed out by Gregorius, it doesn't seem especially plausible without massive suspension of disbelief but it's not as if that's something you can't get past. Assuming that you're emphasising the presence of machine spirits in all things, you certainly could have some idea running with a dark pact made by the priest to preserve his mind as pure data in the event of his death - forcing him to displace the hammer's spirit to find some means of storing himself. It just doesn't seem an especially likely thing to happen, given how basic the machine spirit of a Thunder Hammer would be.

In the unlikely event that you really want to go for a cop-out to ensure your villain stays alive, go for the Doombot ending:

If this Magos has somehow developed some mastery of the Proteus Protocol (Thanks for bringing that one up, Berengario) then it's plausible that he could have transferred some imitation of his own mind into the bodies of false men, or could do so in the future.

So it turns out that the entity you thought was this Magos was actually a false-man constructed to serve as a body-double and was housing something along the lines of a schismatical so the real Magos could extract its memory as pure data as a last resort. In the event of its death, it released its effective consciousness into the nearest viable object so it could be potentially salvaged in the future. As a result, the mind of this being is now housed in the Thunder Hammer in question.

I suppose an interesting thing you could do with that idea would be to run with your current idea for the plot, then inject the real magos into events as he seeks to recover the data-packet. The party have to deal with what they believe is the mind of their long-term antagonist ,and seek some way to cleanse it, only to find that they're being hunted by the Magos in question and he is actually the contact they've been dealing with to arrange things.

just a suggestion....

why not have the tech priest have gotten to the point that his experiments were culminating in a final flourish but he could not figure out the final step in the Proteus Protocol... in a regressive (emotional) response he started the process of communing with the warp through a ??? (forgive me i do not have books to hand but i am sure there is a techheresy whereby tech priests create a "machine" that brings forth demons) where he encounters a "helpful" soul... this demon sets about explaining how the tech priest is able to take the final step in the Proteus Protocol... that is self sacrifice by ritual.... unknown to the tech priest this is a ruse for the tech priest to sacrifice himself to the demon and become another pawn in his retinue... the ritual was in process with the final part to undertake... the tech priest's self sacrifice... yet lo and behold the acolytes arrive and stave in his head with a thunder hammer before the ritual was finished... this inadvertent interruption shatters the ritual and sets the tech priest free from his body and without anywhere to go... the ritual worked on the premise that the most powerful relic in the area would be the focus of his soul... previously a brand new and improved cogitator for example (may have to retcon the story)... however the thunder hammer from the golden age was in the wrong place at the right time... with the tech priest's soul sucked into the thunder hammer all is over... or is it... in however long... the tech priest's conscious starts to awake within the thunder hammer and able to effect the power field... effectively providing bonuses and minuses whenever the tech priest chooses etc... however... once the power field in the future connects with a cogitator for example the tech priest will be released to start his reign again... suggestion that any psykers are able to see that the thunder hammer is "possessed"...

this is all very constructive thank you, i guess it could help to explain the character a little gearhardt gluckshalt was imprisoned inside a derelict imperial guard cruiser he sat motionless for 200 years forced to oversee the mundane everyday maintenance of the ship when the players met him they helped him gain control over all of the ships functions then he betrayed them and tried to kill them and an npc crushed his head with a thunder hammer, the more i think about it maybe it makes a little more sense if as he died just by a pure fluke he wrote a small failsafe onto the hammer a program that thinks it's gearhardt but the only function it can preform is to preserve its self

If you absolutely need this exact Heretech to make a comeback, arrange it so that he had uploaded a copy of his consciousness into a Data Forge prior to his last "field work" (AKA when the characters killed him).  He had arrangements that if he did not return in "Approximately 208.437 days" that his colleagues were to build a new cyber-shell for him and transfer his consciousness into the new body (Full Cyber-Rez, Inquisitor's Handbook).    Sure, such a storage and transfer of sentience is heretical by Mechanicus standards, but he is a heretech and a very bad person...

If you are looking for a less George Lucas solution, the Magos in question was working on a big project that was actually just a part of a bigger tech-heresy.  Some of his blasphemous colleagues have been expecting the dead Magos to deliver his part of the plan so that the assorted component pieces can be integrated into the greater device.  The only problem is he is uncharacteristically late and his missing component is putting the entire plan and timeline into unacceptable jeopardy.  His fellow Heretechs begin investigating what has happened, and eventually uncover his unfortunate fate.  What do they do next?

Of amusing note:  In my game our Magos has been making use of a "proxy body" on the current mission.  Yes, that is right:  He servitorized a dying Magos and made sure to install lots of wireless MIU links so he could put in "personal" appearances while his "primary" body was somewhere else.  His erstwhile rival, a brazen heretech who has been boldly and skillfully corrupting Adeptus Mechanicus cogitators and systems even pulled the same trick recently by baiting a trap with a cyber-shell body that he puppetmastered.   One of the perks of being Ad-Mech is that you can pull Motoko Kusanagi style body-swaps if you really need to.