Sign in to follow this  
Locusshifter

Is the general opinion still that Legends are too costly?

As more and more information on the Legends expansion came out there were increasing comments about the Legends, and cards that benefit from one being in play,  being useless.

I'm no big tournament player, so I have to ask everyone in the community: are the costs on the Legends so horrible that they are unusable? Couldn't an effective deck, IE a winning deck, be built around a given legend?

I'm always confused because when I play casually I'm able to generate incredible amounts of resources in just the first few turns. Dropping a legend on the board as early as turn three seems cause enough for me to include one if I build around it or it supports an existing strategy.

Thoughts?

I too play casually (not even 50-card only decks, gasp lengua.gif ) and Legends will find a spot in each of my decks. Generating 10+ resources a turn is fairly common around here is a game doesn't end on turn 4 or so, normal approach is to boost KZ up, QZ has about half the Hammers KZ has, less will do as well if you already have a big hand full of expensive stuff.

Main disappointment (based on the spoilers) is that other than the Legends, many Units seem pure coaster material, there are already better versions available for each race, ones that aren't dependant on a Legend being in play.

I'm certain that some of the legends will see competitive play.  The units that rely on legends being in play are in general not that great for the reasons that Dam mentioned.

TL

Ileopsoas said:

Even PRO players don't use decks which close in the 4th turn (except rush i think)...the fact i that against control decks you struggle to get a lot of resources...

Unless they just want to give you the resources but deny your drawing. Just today Empire dumped everything Chaos had into the Chaos KZ, sure they had a lot of resources, but drawing 1 per turn, not much use out of those resources.

Dam said:

Main disappointment (based on the spoilers) is that other than the Legends, many Units seem pure coaster material, there are already better versions available for each race, ones that aren't dependant on a Legend being in play.

I personally feel like 1/3 the cards are a waste. Others will likely see it as about half. 

The best stuff in there are the Legends (no duh) and some other higher cost cards. There is a smattering of cheaper utility like oozing eye but not as much as there should have been. I can't believe they made another 4 cost skaven!

I suppose it will be hard to get the more expensive legends into play. At least in my playing environment there are nearly always control elements in every deck. Destruction now at least plays Wight Lord, Sorcerer of Tzeentch or Lobber Crew, eventually even more unit removal. Order has support and unit removal (Rodriks, Zealot Hunter, Master Rune of Spite, Spawn of Itzl, Called Back/Pillgrimage) and when playing against empire even card denial. When it's so "controlish" you don't have 6-7 Resources + the required loyalty on the board. Our games are usually decided in turn 5-7 or earlier when playing a fast deck.

I'm not so excited about the "have a legend in play" units so there is only the legend itself that is valuable. Nevertheless legends will be played after we get our expansions because it will be fun to play them and when both players have legends they both play a slower deck style so it maybe will even out.

It will be a pain to get these guys into play. Since they are "legends" and not "units" I'm assuming that the "find a way to discard them and then play Raise Dead tactic" is not going to work here. I'm glad actually, because it seems like a very cheap combo for something like this. They offer big bonuses in resources and draw but you certainly need to have a lot of that in play already in order to get them in hand and play them. A big question for me is going to be, with all the resources and faction cards I already have in place will it be worth it to play one of these guys or will it make more sense to just play a bunch of other cards this turn? I guess time and playtesting will tell.

It will be a pain to get these guys into play.

Yes but instead of a high cost hero or something like that you can assume that you have your legend in play for a good amount of turns. I'm not so firm about the exact rules but as long as you don't run into defending units the legend can't be removed, called back, moved or sacrificed. Savely having 4-6 resources and drawing 3-4 cards a turn is a useful thing and you can certainly decide the game the turns after playing a legend. 

The legends that I find most interesting are:

Kairos weaver of destinies. As soon as he is in play you have the constant Bolt of Change effect and chaos mostly plays Burn it Down + Savage Gors so by the time (earliest 3rd or 4th turn I estimate) you have him out you propably win in the following turn. When you develop more that 1 zone you have an enormous economy + good defense as long as you have Kairos out. A weak point is Will of the Electors that can deck yourself really quick if you aren't careful. Archaon would also be good but he is one of the more expensive legends and chaos got enough good unit control cards in the last battle packs so you don't really "need" him.

Malekith. Really fits the DE style and has good synergy with a lot of cards. I'm not sure how to get the resources + loyalty to play him. Guess I have to hold back while sacrificing my own units with Slave Pen or the tactic boost cards.

Volkmar the Severe. Surely a beast against reanimator decks or dwarfes and has potential for other neat tricks. He is also one of the cheap legends that are more realistic to get into play constantly.

I hope that the expansion will be available in the next week so that we can play them in actual games.

Yeah, I think Kairos is pretty clearly the legend with best ability. A horde of 2/2 guys for six is just plain nutsy. You can limit exposure to Will of the Electors tricks by playing your own development destruction... between Desecrated Temple, Ungor Raiders, and your own unit removal, you could take a lot of developments out of the Quest at once. Still, it is a drawback. Also have to be careful about Troll Vomit, Offering to Hekarti, or Flames of the Phoenix burning a zone by removing developments. 

I think the cheap Orc legend (Grom?) is also pretty good... six total permanent hammers for five is a bargain even with a marginal ability. Doesn't really fit in the Raise Dead deck, but he could be solid in the right build. 

Isn't that what I said? If you can find a way for him to attack again, you can trigger it again. That's the catch, though. The only way I can think of doing this is playing Bash 'Em, thus creating a second battle phase. Probably not practical, but legal. Maybe there's something else out there, it just hasn't occurred to me. 

Me and my brother have finally picked up the nr of games we played. We've played more games the last 2 weeks practically than we have played since the beginning lol. And I must say I'm rather impressed with the legends cards. I don't find them overcosted. Though some are distinctly worse than others.
The bonusses they give to each zone, the versatility they bring and some very handy abilities make them excellent.
I suspect i'll put in at least 2 copies of a legend in every deck I'll make for now. Unless I really don't have the room for it.