Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Stormlord-XIII

Mechanized Units

Recommended Posts

I love the new Mechanized Units, and the stats and rules for them are great. However, considering the amount of Ground Forces a race could potentially produce, is four really gonna be enough? Especially as you acquire more planets, you"ll want to defend the more important planets like the resource heavy planets. And in some cases, PDSs won't be enough.

Does anyone feel the same way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Well no, I think the point is that 4 definitely isn't enough. They're a great value unit, and you're need to think about where you place them.

The game's no fun is everyone can build as many warsuns as they want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

True. I just feel that there should be more. Not too many, though. I was thinking maybe no more than 8. I'll have to play and see how to make 4 work.  

Personally, I wouldn't build War Suns. Too many resources to commit to just one. Dreadnoughts, however, are a different story.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We played a game with all the new stuff a few nights ago and four seemed very fair. They were mainly used to take out stronghold planets with little defensive maneuvers in mind. If you were able to have more of these, you could virtually steamroll any system you wanted to, except other planets with lots of mechs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Periculum said:

We played a game with all the new stuff a few nights ago and four seemed very fair. They were mainly used to take out stronghold planets with little defensive maneuvers in mind. If you were able to have more of these, you could virtually steamroll any system you wanted to, except other planets with lots of mechs.

My thoughts exactly.  I see mechs being more useful on the offense rather than the defense.  I remember back in the days when people could build unlimited PDSes.  Plastic limits exist for a good reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of Mechanized Units, here's my  question:

 

Do damaged Mechanized Units repair during step b) of the Status Phase, Repair all Damaged Ships?

It's certainly within the spirit of the Sustain Damage ability. However the rules are fairly thorough about specifying how it functions as a Ground Force. The rules say nothing about how it functions as a damaged ship and are equally silent on repairing in the status phase.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hyperturtle said:

Do damaged Mechanized Units repair during step b) of the Status Phase, Repair all Damaged Ships?

It's certainly within the spirit of the Sustain Damage ability. However the rules are fairly thorough about specifying how it functions as a Ground Force. The rules say nothing about how it functions as a damaged ship and are equally silent on repairing in the status phase.

I would say yes.  I'm fairly confident that should acually be read as "repair all damaged units" except that at the time it was written, the only units that had this ability were ships.  An oversight that I'm sure FFG would correct if this question were asked of them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

do mech units work like groundforces for that action card the winnu are safe from.  lose 2 groundforces if none left planet reverts to nutral.

from what i initially read id say no. if so this makes them a great "minumum" defensive unit for your production systems so you dont lose space stations and pds's to a somewhat common action card.

and dose the brotherhood of yin turn mech units with their racial ability/tech upgrade?

 

sorry if the awsners to this are obvious or already awnsered.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AleksandrKerensky said:

do mech units work like groundforces for that action card the winnu are safe from.  lose 2 groundforces if none left planet reverts to nutral.

from what i initially read id say no. if so this makes them a great "minumum" defensive unit for your production systems so you dont lose space stations and pds's to a somewhat common action card.

and dose the brotherhood of yin turn mech units with their racial ability/tech upgrade?

 

sorry if the awsners to this are obvious or already awnsered.

 

Unless i completely misread the FAQ and rules, mechanized units are counted as ground forces for general rules such as movement, but they are NOT ground forces as far as techs and actions cards go (unless specified).

The local unrest card therefore cannot revert a planet with a mechanized on it to neutral because it cannot remove a mechanized unit, only ground forces.

I find the best use of the mechanized units is to colonize neutral planets with Distant Suns tokens. Most really bad DS tokens destroy ground forces... and not mechanized units. A mechanized unit also can usually make short work of any other resistance by DS tokens. Meaning there's nothing to fear (in most cases) if you land on a planet with a DS token with a mechanized unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...