Sign in to follow this  
Carnemark

Poisoned Knife

Poisoned Knife
[Martell Attachment]
Weapon.

Attached character gains stealth.
Response: After attached character declares stealth, discard the bypassed character from play unless its controller kneels 1 influence or pays 1 gold to the treasury.

Question is: My character has attached two Poisoned Knifes. When i declare Stealth can i response twice, one for each attachment, in order to make opponent pay twice the cost for keeping the character i declare Stealth on?

PD: sorry about my English, i hope you can understand well enough

Carnemark said:

Question is: My character has attached two Poisoned Knifes. When i declare Stealth can i response twice, one for each attachment, in order to make opponent pay twice the cost for keeping the character i declare Stealth on?
Yes. Each card is a separate, individual effect, so each one can be used one time each for the same Response opportunity. (Just like you can play as many different, separate, individual "after you win a military challenge" Responses as you have available to you that you can pay for.)

Maybe my newness to the game is why I am confused. I admit I haven't played with or against Martell yet.

Question:

How is it possible to bypass two characters with the one character using stealth in one challenge?  I understand that it is possible stand the character back up for another challenge in the same phase, but unless the attachments can be used for other characters that also are using stealth, I don't think I follow.

Thank you in advance!

Bomb said:

Question:

How is it possible to bypass two characters with the one character using stealth in one challenge?  I understand that it is possible stand the character back up for another challenge in the same phase, but unless the attachments can be used for other characters that also are using stealth, I don't think I follow.

It is not possible to bypass 2 characters with a single character using Stealth, unless, of course, some separate ability allowed you to do so.

But that's not the question that is being asked here. The text on Poisoned Knife says: "Response: After attached character declares stealth, discard the bypassed character from play unless its controller kneels 1 influence or pays 1 gold to the treasury."

So let's say that Character A has 2 copies of Poisoned Knife on him. He bypasses Character B when he attacks. His controller triggers Knife #1 to try to discard Character B. Character B's controller pays the 1 gold, leaving Character B in play. The question here was whether or not Knife #2 can be triggered to try to discard Character B a second time -- essentially getting a second chance to try to discard Character B. The answer to that question is "yes."

Character A is not trying to bypass and discard two separate characters; it is trying to discard the single bypassed character 2 times, forcing it to be "saved" 2 separate times to keep it on the table.

Dear kotm,

I apologize for not reading the original post thoroughly.  I had actually read the original post several times and thought I read it through, but clearly I only read 80% all those times.  You answer clearly does not make sense without that key question and I had thought he asked a different question earlier in the post.  Sorry for wasting your time.

I know this thread is old, but I have a question about this nasty attachment and thought it would be better to ask here to keep the forums cleaner (i can never find the answer to my questions using the forum searcher :S)

So, the thing is I think you can declare stealth over a knelt character, no problem. But would it be considered "bypassed" for the porpouse of the response? Always, never or only if said char had some kind of ability to allow him be declared as defender?

My common sense says it would NOT be considered bypassed, but my common sense with this game seems rather uncommon if you know what I mean… Like 50% of the times, it misses ;)

"Bypassed" just means "cannot defend as a result of being successfully hit as a stealth target." If a kneeling character is chosen as the target of stealth, it is considered "bypassed" for the purposes of responses like this one.

That's a good question. My assumption is that the "cannot defend' wording from stealth applies to being declared as a defender, which seems to be the currently accepted standard. If, as Ktom says, bypassed simply means cannot defend as a result of being successfully chosen as a stealth target, then I believe that if you chose a participating character as a stealth target (eg had jumped in with Naval with The Wall) and it was removed from the challenge, it could not jump back in or participate. As such, I guess the "bypass" was successful even if the character is currently participating, because it will still prevent them from being declared as a defender.

Once a character is participating in a challenge, declaring Stealth on them does not remove them from it. Should they be removed later, they could not reenter the challenge. *summons Ktom for confirmation*

Right, we agree entirely. Do you also feel that the character was successfully bypassed (even if he's still participating) for purposes of Poisoned Knife, since technically the stealth effect still acts upon said character (as stated, to prevent him from subsequetly being declared).

Yes, if a currently participating Naval character is stealthed, and then stands and is removed from the challenge, it cannot be declared as a Naval defender a second time.

Therefore, we know that stealth was successful on it, so it was indeed "bypassed" by stealth.