Sign in to follow this  
Toothless_Night_Fury

Talisman: The Dragon Expansion - The newly announced expansion from FFG

The two game shops I visit in the Vancouver/Portland area of Oregon and Washington have said that they expect to have it anwhere between the 14th and 16th of September.  I guess if a person ordered it from Amazon and had it overnighted, they'd have it right away.  Man...coulda, woulda, shoulda if I do say so my self!  I've already read the rules online; thank you FFG for having the foresight to make this expansion available for all of us Talisman fans!

Blackalliance said:

The two game shops I visit in the Vancouver/Portland area of Oregon and Washington....

Could you name those shops please?  I'm a little further south of the area you mention, and I'm always looking for a decent game shop. The one little place slightly closer to me isn't enough and doesn't stock a lot of diversity.

If you feel up to it, maybe drop me a PM instead or send the names via by contact link in my sig.  Even for a long drive, I'd really like to find more local outlets.

Well, I'm in the mood to type so I'll advertise right here and give you some background as well:

In Portland, Oregon, Bridgetown Hobbies and Games is a 50/50 hobbies/games shop.  I have bought many of my games there because of two reasons:  My father took me there when I was around 13-15 years old (over 20 years ago) and I was immediately and completely amazed that a store like this actually existed, but it was soon forgotten as my dad wasn't really interested in taking me to a...game store.  Sometime around when the Reaper Expansion for Talisman (4th) was released, I read that someone had re-released Talisman;  I had bought Talisman, Second Edition, at a local comic store in the early 90's after playing it at a friend of a friends house a couple years before.  Something inside me felt compelled to find a game store and take a look at it.  My buddies and I played Axis and Allies and Talisman and its expansions dozens of times up until a year or two out of High School.  For various reasons, boardgaming stopped.  None of our girlfriends were interested, we worked alot, some of us joined the military, got married, etc.  Anyways, I walked into Bridgetown Hobbies and Games and quickly realized that this was where my Father had taken me all those years ago and was just excited to be there again...and I bought Talisman, gladly.  I called my friends and we've played many games since then.  Believe me, I've cut that story down to about 10% of what I was going to say.  The employees are avid gamers and very helpful.

Next is Gaurdian Games.  A great place, packed full of new and used games.  They carry a ton of stuff and have some pretty crazy gaming nights from what I've seen.  For some reason, I just don't feel at home there.  I think everyone plays games for certain reasons and certain games attract certain personalities.  I just don't feel that this store is where I really like to be; there are some serious card game players there that like MTG and Pokemon that I just never found worth spending alot of time playing.  Maybe I tend to socialize a little more and relaxe with a drink rather than have 110% of my focus on the game at hand...ya, that's basically true.  I believe Gardian games has certain days of the month where you can get discounts on any game in the store if you show up for that days event...or something like that.  Agian, a great store for sure, workers are very helpful.

Next is Dice Age Games in Vancouver, Washington, my local store.  It's a new store for 2011 and has quite a selection.  They don't focus on having everything but they do carry things that I don't see in some of the other stores in the area.  They are a little light on Runebound stuff (no card packs) but they're very willing to order anything for you, that's for sure.  Being a new store, you can tell that they are trying to feel things out by selling what will probably sell and not run them into bankruptcy.  It's a very clean store and they definitely have a certain following of people.  I've bought some things there, but again, Bridgetown Hobbies is where my heart seems to be - even though it's an extra 20 minute drive.  What is great is that they are open late on Friday and Saturday, really late..like 10pm or something like that.

And of course, I buy stuff on Ebay...but I feel like I'm cheating my game stores!

Velhart said:

S3v3n11 said:

Looks like my Amazon order has shipped.  I should have this expansion soon. happy.gif

How is that possible..?

In the upcoming list on fantasy flight, it still says that it is on the boatpreocupado.gif

It has been updated as of 9/14/2011.

I hope to pick up my copy soon.  This one simply looks amazing.  I was very glad to see them revamping the inner region section.  The one they currently had works fine, but I always felt like it could be more intense.  happy.gif

I bought a dragon King Miniature from third edition for myself to use it with talisman revised and the new dragon expansion from FFG.

The idea is that it will be painted too. gran_risa.gif

I will make some photo's when it is finished..

Just got mine - game night planned for Saturday.  I'm not super jazzed about the miniatures, though:  they'll need some Green Stuff before I can paint them.  The art on the inner board is kind of so-so as well, in my opinion (at least compared to the beautiful art in the Dungeon, e.g.).  

That said, the cards are beautiful, and various, and interesting.  And the new game mechanics seem like the best addition to the Talisman world yet.  I'm really, really looking forward to trying it out ASAP.  I'm sure it will be fun, and I'm also sure that we will immediately houserule all sorts of stuff, as we always do with Talisman.  I'm thinking that it would be cool to have to defeat the Dragon King in the tower, and THEN take the Crown of Command and start casting the Command Spell as usual.  Kind of an epic ending, and in line with PvP.  It feels kind of quasi-cooperative when everyone is fighting the Draconic Lords, which might be fine, but loses a bit of Talisman-esque appeal, perhaps.  

I'm also now having to rethink how to box up all my Talisman expansions.  I just barely had the space for everything, and now I'll have to get some sort of overflow box or something.  I will also have to think about getting one of the cool FFG dice bags for dragon tokens.  Sigh.    

Zozimus said:

I'm also now having to rethink how to box up all my Talisman expansions.  I just barely had the space for everything, and now I'll have to get some sort of overflow box or something.  I will also have to think about getting one of the cool FFG dice bags for dragon tokens.  Sigh.    

I am also looking for a dice bag for the dragon tokens.

It would be nice if the dice bag has a dragon on it.

I could only find a small one, but i assume that we need a big bag for the tokens.

Luckily, i have a bag from the lord of the rings:the sauron expansion, so i can use it for the tokens..

talismanisland said:

Velhart said:

I am also looking for a dice bag for the dragon tokens.

It would be nice if the dice bag has a dragon on it.

I have the Dragon Scale one from Games by Gamers -

http://www.gbgpublishing.com/acc_files/bags.htm

(it's at the bottom)

Nice bag.

Do you have the small or the large one?

I saw that you can pay with paypal too..

I am not too experienced to pay on websites..

But i am a bit interested in it..

illygraham said:

I got mine!  Yay!  All ready playing...it really changes things!  So far, I really dig it...

All expansions!

What for size is that table?

There is enough space on it..

talismanamsilat said:

The small bag holds lots of dice so I would imagine so! Just ordered mine too happy.gif

Thanks for the link Jon!

Ell.

Hey Elliot,

I am just wondering, but have you heard something from that seller?

I paid mine today, but i got no reply yet.preocupado.gif

Hey Jon,

I have send already a mail to office@gbgpublishing.com

I could only found that adress.

Is that the bag? He looks not so strong as on the picture from gbg. On the site, he looks more strong and tall with a good bottom.

I ordered the small one, but i am afraid that not all the tokens can fit in the bagsad.gif

Maybe i need to buy the big one too... ****!

PS: If you have the dragon expansion, is it possible that you can put the tokens in the small bag.  i like to see how much it is..preocupado.gif