Sign in to follow this  
MikeN

power armour - helmet cams?

You have to remember, these are space marines and not humans. If one battle brother tells another something, it tends to be believed. A captain will most often take the word of those under him, unless doing so without proof puts others in danger. So as long as the Astartes  in question doesn't already have a history of lies that have come to light, there would be no need to check a helmet cam. Also, it requires a tech marine to access that data, and unless the person in question has the requesite knowledge skills, they most likely wouldn't know that a tech marine would have that ability, unless they had witnessed it first hand. It makes sense to me that power armor would have these capabilities, as much as it makes sense to me that very few people are truly "in the know" about technology. It still allows for lies and roleplaying, and in my opinion adds to the chance for interesting interactions.

I am ruling that in my games, it is standard with the power armor.  Regardless of whether Space Marines never tell a lie or not, a picture can be worth a thousand words.

I imagine the pict recorder simply has more options for actual footage, plus the  helmet cam is purely POV.

Truth be told?

"Mark of the Xenos" has two notable examples of 'helmet cameras'--and they're not even on Deathwatch or Inquisitorial members!

First example is on page 47 with "Hyperion C&C" communicating with defensive forces, specifically Squad Echo Nine.

Second example is on page 55. Scout Sergeant Syrbel, 10th Comany Death Spectres talking about 'pict captures' from the Death Spectre Battle-Brothers' helmets.

I'd say it's a good bet that the autosenses on the standard Astartes gear(or for that matter, things like the protrusions you see on the Forge World Cadian Respirator kits or the metal Kasrkin) include a 'playback' function. Just seems like the kind of thing they'd do.

Deathwatch basic rulebook says, when describing the duties of Watch Captain, that "he sees everything each of the Kill Team members see" and can monitor their health and such from his Thunderhawk. I think that is pretty clear indicator that at least Kill Teams come with not only helmet-cameras but a very wide-array sensory array recording everything and sending it to mission-control real-time.

Siranui said:

Jackal_Strain said:

Sure they can. I imagine they will still decide when the camera records or not.

"So this bit here, after where you argue about what to do with the prisoner.... where it gets switched off for two minutes... That's not when you went back in the room and shot him, right?"

just say you took your helmet off for a bit, for a cohesion bonus :P or have the space wolf do it

Kanluwen said:

Yeah, but if you do that too often--you don't get Gorman lecturing you.

You get declared a heretic. :P

lol yeah ill say one thing for a deathwatch watch captain... hes been on a hell of a lot more than 2 combat drops