Sign in to follow this  
lordc447

Melee Weapons

Hey guys :)

I've found two melee weapon upgrades--Mono and Lathe Blade-- and I'm looking to see if there are any other upgrades for them.  Is that all there is?  Because if so, I will be very hugely sadfacing D:

Thanks for the help, though :)

Several books have an exterminator cartridge, which is a single shot flamer attachment.

Into The Storm has Tox Dispenser, for when you want to coat the blade in poison.

There isn't really much more you can do to a sword while keeping it a sword.

Thanks :)  It's just a mild dissappointment because there's a bunch of cool jank you can do with ranged weapons, ya'kow?

I wasn't even particularly looking for massive extra damage or anything... Just something baller :)

Is there actually a set of rules for getting your weapon blessed?  Just curious!  XD

lordc447 said:

Is there actually a set of rules for getting your weapon blessed?  Just curious!  XD

Well ... there is something in Blood of Martyrs, though it's really just a bunch of numbers what you need (both for "buying" it outside the group, as well as for having your cell's cleric do it for you) and a short description of what happens.

Personally, though, I think it's not ideal - the cost seems much too high for such a negligible effect, and it does not feel very consistent either. I believe the "Blessed" quality showed up once already in the Inquisitor's Handbook with a different cost and a different effect. I recommend you take a look at both books and then consider what to use, or if you even want to houserule something.

In case of the latter, I'd suggest a "hierarchy" like:

• Blessed = temporary upgrade, can be applied by all Clerics or Ascended Sororitas
  • Sanctified = permanent upgrade, can only be applied by NPC Ecclesiarchy high official in one of the Sector's major cathedrals
  • (Relic = cannot be applied via upgrades but simply denotes a Sanctified item that has achieved a legendary reputation as per GM decision)

I think there's a lot of unused potential in the whole idea. You could have a character's Fellowship or reputation influence the effect of his blessing, for example...

While they aren't officially "upgrades" there are several qualities a weapon could potentially have added to them.

DW has Razor Sharp I think its called where you double pen of the weapon if the attack roll is made with 2 dos or more.  I could see this as an upgrade similar to the tox-dispensor assuming the weapon had pen in the first place one could hone the edge and then make so many successful attacks with it before losing the quality and requiring reapplication (possibly during your down time).

Don't limit yourself to the RAW if you can provide sufficient enough reason a GM might allow it.  Sides just because a weapon isn't in the book doesn't mean you can't discuss what you want with your gm and if within reason find away to craft/acquire said item.

But, yeah... not much you can do to that melee weapon "officially".

lordc447 said:

Thanks :)  It's just a mild dissappointment because there's a bunch of cool jank you can do with ranged weapons, ya'kow?

I wasn't even particularly looking for massive extra damage or anything... Just something baller :)

Sounds like you might want something like a chainsword, or a power weapon if you can afford it.

Melee weapons don't have as many upgrades as ranged for many reasons. Melee weapons have neither sights nor ammunition, and that eliminates two of the largest categories of upgrades. Many of the remaining upgrades for ranged weapons just don't work with melee weapons as well. Any player that wants to slap a close combat attachment on his knife probably deserves a smack. 

However, there are multiple types of melee weaponry you can change to if you want an extra punch. There are numerous examples of melee weapons across the different books. Every category except shock gets many wonderful options. Also, remember that by RAW melee weapons benefit greatly from quality upgrades while ranged weaponry does not.

In addition, I'm fine with the idea that you can upgrade some weapons to shock class if you are willing to sacrifice the balance of the weapon. The Officer's Cutlass is a great example of this. As others have already mentioned, if you have a cool idea that isn't covered in the rules you can probably make it work with your GM.

Well if all you are interested is what weapon qualities could be applied to melee weapons I suggest the following: Balanced, Concussive, Defensive, Fast, Flexible, Force, Power Field, Primitive, Proven, Razor-Sharp, Sanctified, Shocking, Tearing, Toxic and Unbalanced. The ones most like to be found in some form of upgrade are:

Balanced (add to any well crafted weapon, or those designed for parrying like a main-gauche)
Fast (again add to any well crafted, light-weight weapon)
Force (force weapons, simply add to any existing generic melee weapon that doesn't already have a force weapon equivalent)
Power Field (power weapons, simply add to any existing generic melee weapon that doesn't already have a power weapon equivalent)
Razor-Sharp (could be used ton represent a "vibro" weapon upgrade, not sure if the vibro-weapon meme exists in 40K)
Sanctified (Blessed/Sanctified weapons)
Shocking (shock weapons, simply add to any existing generic melee weapon that doesn't already have a shock weapon equivalent)
Tearing (chain weapons, simply add to any existing generic melee weapon that doesn't already have a chain weapon equivalent)
Toxic (per the Tox Dispenser)

Also feel free to add qualities to weapons that wouldn't normally have them.  I had a player that wanted a bearded axe, this is an axe designed for disarming an opponent as it has a hooked blade.  So this is a single handed axe with the balanced quality even though the axe in the book is unwieldy.

Also if you want to make any adjustments to the rules with weapons discuss it with your group, my group have decided that a two-handed weapons has some reach, so on a tacticile battle map a two-handed sword can strike an opponent over a square away.  For those that have played D&D will understand the concept of reach weapons, this adds to the game as large melee weapons should have larger kill zones.

KommissarK said:

While kind of bland, one of the big things melee weapons get is that they are actually quite useful at good and best quality (versus say, a best quality lasgun).

Well, outside of plasma weaponry.  Best quality on plasma  removes one of the largest drawbacks to using plasmas (gets rid of Overheat in addition to jamming).  Of course, the cost of plasma weaponry proper are only second in ridiculousness to the price tag on meltas.

Imo you shouldn't be constricted by the rule books. After all, it is a whole galaxy the universe you're roleplaying. There can be so, so, so many variables and inventions across the thousands upon thousands of forge worlds.

In the campaign we're currently playing the GM designed all the weapons himself. Like our psiker, who carries a gunblade, or the arbitrator, who carries a long shock baton on one tip and with a power halberd on the other tip, so she can stun or kill as needed. The humongously mutated tech priest carries a quad heavy stubber that fires 16 bullets at low damage per full auto. The fallen noble cleric came into our party with a ammo-less las pistol cannon (a one big shot las bolt, that needs one turn in between shots to recharge the power source).

Just make things up! A melee weapon? hunt a beast and ask the tech priest or an artisan to add it's titanium like fangs to the blade. Add spikes to the hilt so you can punch people and maybe stun them with it. Make things up!

dueling grip from BC adds to Parry chance 5% on top of balanced(great way to render shields usless duh. but my guy has a plus 25%parry shield anyway)

depending on how flexible (cool) your GM is and what type of game you play daggers getting a RF range of 9-10 instead of just 10 is cool

any quality can be worked into a upgrade: proven(x), felling(x), volitile(x)*, giltering* 

for volitlie we extend the RF threat range by x

glitering is a deamon weapon trait but could work for overly ornate weapon -10 to dodge and parry

glitering fast razorsharp volitle bolo knives with dispensors full of promethium for flame....(glittering and flame would not work..****