Sign in to follow this  
Alpha Chaos 13

Astartes Fire Selector

Guest Not In Sample

Kain McDogal said:

Mounting picatinny rails on Imperial weapons is a heretical act, because they enable the normal soldier to customise his weapon at will, something which needs to be approved by the Mechanicus first.

Yeah, but when real guns start to look cooler than the guns you have made up for the sole purpose of looking cool there is a problem.

sa80rail.jpg

Rails and accessories are a big part of the look of a good modern firearm, and we need to keep up!

I really find that totally less cool than a "normal" Bolter. YMMV, but to me, "more $h*t added here and there on my gun" sounds like "this gun sucks", whereas the awesomeness of a non-modded Bolter sounds like "I don't need to add more crap around to make it a viable weapon".

Eventually some useful devices, like fire selectors or lenses, but overall, a Bolter is cool because it's a frikkin auto-propulsed grenade/mini-bombs launcher, and adding a rail or some random bull$h*t to it is useless and not cool at all.

AluminiumWolf said:

Kain McDogal said:

Mounting picatinny rails on Imperial weapons is a heretical act, because they enable the normal soldier to customise his weapon at will, something which needs to be approved by the Mechanicus first.

Yeah, but when real guns start to look cooler than the guns you have made up for the sole purpose of looking cool there is a problem.

I think I said it already about the Stormraven: I like 40K weapons not looking cool, nor modern. I even think it would suck if they did. They are supposed to look clunky and industrial. Modern polish is for Tau and Eldar, who'll of course get sweeped by the ugly, unmodern but time-honoured Imperial technology. Cool design in your face, baby. gui%C3%B1o.gif

Alex

Guest Not In Sample

Would it help if I was to say that one of the principle uses of the rails would be to attach skulls to the weapon?

So you could get large rail mounted skulls that fit over the muzzle with the barrel poking out through the mouth, or little badge like skulls for attaching in rows down the side of the weapon, or skull torches with glowing eye sockets to light the way.

So if a mission calls for lots of skulls you are sorted. But if you find you need more Imperial Double-Headed Eagles for an engagement it only takes a few minutes with a screwdriver to reconfigure your weapon.

Great for a rapidly changing enviroment.

For some reason, I find one of the most appealing things about Deathwatch to be... the different kinds of ammuniton. So you might have one vengeance, one metal storm, and one hellfire or kraken (depending on type of foe) magazine loaded into your bolter. For dealing with the big dogs, you can fire vengeance rounds until it misfires and your hand gets blown off. Then you can switch to hellfire or kraken when firing with your remaining hand, unless you want to become Abbadon.

I think three mags under a firearm can look pretty cool. Especially if the firearm is a bolter.

Not so keen on rails and sight systems everywhere. It looks cool in Cyberpunk or modern games, but not in 40k. Like all those dainty little optics and accessory rails would survive a plasma grenade, or being on the receiving end of an artillery strike, or a jungle deathworld, or taking a burst of shruiken catapult fire...

Marines are tough, and there weapons need to be at least as survivable as a marine in power armour. Moreso, given that wargear is handed down through the hands of dozens of marines: The wargear obviously survived whatever killed those dozen marines!

As to the engineering, I have nothing, but I do know this.  That Index Astartes picture is more or less right.  Games Workshop actually sells Deathwatch conversion kits (Or at least they did a couple months ago when I bought mine. I'm making some customized minis for my group), they come with some heads, some cool looking DW shoulder pads, and those lovable sins against engineering, the bolters.  I don't have them handy, but I think the only difference in the bolters is that the assembly for the two side mags is just a little bigger in comparison to the rest of the weapon.

FUN FACT!: The Canadian Armed Forces were the first military to adopt the use of rails for their weapons.

Anyway, to each his own. I'll keep imagining that they look like the Bolters from the artwork, you guys can go with the multiple full magazines.

Siranui said:

Marines are tough, and there weapons need to be at least as survivable as a marine in power armour. Moreso, given that wargear is handed down through the hands of dozens of marines: The wargear obviously survived whatever killed those dozen marines!

Indeed. In Flight of the Eisenstein (or is it Galaxy in Flames?) it takes the full brunt of a psychic blast to destroy the Boltgun being carried by Captain Garro. He is later given a new one, that was carried by a Battle-Brother that he knew who died in the same battle. As they engrave the names of all the former bearers on the casing of them, which I found to be quite the cool little bit of fluff myself.

I had an enemy psyker dominate a devastator PC. Thinking it wouldn't be able to keep a hold of a marine's mind, the psyker ordered him to slam a krak grenade into his heavy bolter. I ruled the firing mechanism was wrecked but otherwise the weapon could be rebuilt back at Erioch (turned into exceptional quality by signature wargear). Remember, these weapons have to survive the insane amount of incoming fire that can kill marines. Even the clips are visibly armoured.

As for the the OP, I'd say three clips total and with quite a lot of bulk attached to the weapon in question. For ascension, I've offered the option of having the three as one third the size of a normal clip, but having the weapon no bulkier than normal. Very handy for concealed weapons which shouldn't need tonnes of ammunition.

AluminiumWolf said:

Blood Pact said:

Which is good, because the Bolter with three magazines jutting out under it is stupid-ugly.

I kinda like it. Similar sort of feel to a Beta C-mag.

Anyway, what do people think of fitting bolters with picatinny like rails for mounting accessories? Nifty huh? The guns that people carry around with lots of bolt on bits look The ****, so we should be getting them in 40k.

M4.jpg

That looks like something my old CO would have done to his M4.  That just blows the mind.  Wo...wow.  My head is spinning.

Guest Not In Sample

Baradiel said:

That looks like something my old CO would have done to his M4.  That just blows the mind.  Wo...wow.  My head is spinning.

Isn't it awesome? gran_risa.gif

I should warn you that my sense of humour runs strongly to suggesting that in 40k land people carry weapons like that in to combat. And in universe it isn't a bad idea!

LoL, I would have slapped any of my Marines who would have put all that crap on their weapon.

My CO was an idiot who always had to have ever peice of gear on him when he left the wire.  He actually told our armory custodians that he wanted to "pimp his rifle".  God, I could go on about this man.