Sign in to follow this  
HeavensThunderHammer

Fashion?

I'd say it depends on the type of armour. Gilded carapace breastplate? Sure, I can see that. Full suit of power armour? Nah.

In general, I think the cover of the core rulebook gives a good impression, though that's just my perception of the setting.

I can best reply to this with a quote from one of my favorite Rogue Trader actual plays:

http://forums.rpg.net/showthread.php?489083-Rogue-Trader-Into-the-Maw-or-How-I-Became-Incredaibly-Wealthy

"There are two prevailing fashions in the Imperium:  Armor with skulls on it, and motherfucking dead.  Wear your armor at all times people!  It's a Grim Dark galaxy out there, and everyone's out to get you."

Also, a 40k fashion guide:

img190.imageshack.us/img190/9569/voidmasterfethingdaft.png

img265.imageshack.us/img265/2747/roguetradernotsensible.png

img43.imageshack.us/img43/3085/madamescraemontmostlyse.png

img338.imageshack.us/img338/9640/magosphillipssensible.png

img198.imageshack.us/img198/9090/starshipextremelysmart.png

I'd say that all Rogue Traders go around with concealable armor up to carapace with refractor shields if possible.  It says something of your power if you appear to go around not wearing armor, confident in your invulnerability, but it would be the height of foolishness to not wear armor.  Save the power armor for combat though, I'd say it's bad manners to show up to a fancy dinner reception in a hulking set of power armor complete with helmet.  No matter how much ornamentation it has on it, it's still a large suit of power armor.  How would you hold utensils?  Would any chair be able to hold your weight?  You'd only be able to get away with it if you were a Space Marine.

Trooperist said:

I can best reply to this with a quote from one of my favorite Rogue Trader actual plays:

http://forums.rpg.net/showthread.php?489083-Rogue-Trader-Into-the-Maw-or-How-I-Became-Incredaibly-Wealthy

"There are two prevailing fashions in the Imperium:  Armor with skulls on it, and motherfucking dead.  Wear your armor at all times people!  It's a Grim Dark galaxy out there, and everyone's out to get you."

img190.imageshack.us/img190/9569/voidmasterfethingdaft.png

img265.imageshack.us/img265/2747/roguetradernotsensible.png

img43.imageshack.us/img43/3085/madamescraemontmostlyse.png

img338.imageshack.us/img338/9640/magosphillipssensible.png

img198.imageshack.us/img198/9090/starshipextremelysmart.png

I'd say that all Rogue Traders go around with concealable armor up to carapace with refractor shields if possible.  It says something of your power if you appear to go around not wearing armor, confident in your invulnerability, but it would be the height of foolishness to not wear armor.  Save the power armor for combat though, I'd say it's bad manners to show up to a fancy dinner reception in a hulking set of power armor complete with helmet.  No matter how much ornamentation it has on it, it's still a large suit of power armor.  How would you hold utensils?  Would any chair be able to hold your weight?  You'd only be able to get away with it if you were a Space Marine.

I actually am a subscriber to that thread on RPG net, and have read this at one point, it's actually part of what got me thinking. Thanks for the reminder and hte laugh at the pictures though.

I've said it before and i'll say it again. Context is everything.

While shopping on Scintilla, anything heavier than a finely decorated carapace breastplate would be considered overkill. Also, wearing heavy combat armour while on a safe secure world makes you look like a sissy.

While hanging around on Footfall, a decidedly more dangerous environment, one might consider heavier army, but wearing light armour makes a better statement about what a badass you are (since you are confident without the heavy stuff).

While flying to the surface of a newly found world to meet with the local government, full power armour makes a good impression, polish it up and wear the helmet so that you can dramatically remove it. It shows your willingness to fight and your invincibility should it come down to fisticuffs.

Basically, think about whether the armour is fashionable and elegant or rough and combat ready. Now think about your character and what he could get away with. stormtrooper carapace might work at a fancy ball if your rogue trader has the stylings of a medieval knight, a holy crusader for instance. Polish it up, wear a single sword and no other weapons and act with chivalry and drop a few lines about "always ready to fight and if necessary, die for the emperor" and bobs your uncle.

A more flamboyant scoundrel might wear xenomesh or descreetly armoured clothes with a big flak greatcoat to fit a swashbuckling image.

An ex-naval officer might wear a naval uniform with a carapace breastplate, decorated with his families crest.

Its all about making it classy when it needs to be, badass when it needs to be. Think about the context.

Trooperist I havn't laughed so hard for so long. Tiny heads and  High collars seem to be the order of the day!

But seriously.

Most of the artwork seems to denote that Rogue Traders affect a naval/privateer uniform with more braiding than a admiral would dare to wear.

Infact in the Novel Savage Scars the veteran Whitescar Marine Sarik talks about this:

" He wore a dress coat resembling that of high ranking officers of the Imperial Navy, but festooned with more gold braid than even the most decorated admirals would dare to display. Sarik had learned to see past the affectation, knowing that it was part of the role that the rogue trader played and that, if anything, it was a ruse designed to hide the mans true self and confound the weak and stupid"

Quite why all rogue traders decide to confound the weak and stupid by dressing flamboyantly is beyond me, but its interesting to note that when Gerrit does take part in the ground war he does don his ancestral power armour. Apparently gold braid does give adequate not protect against tau pulse rifles.

The core rule book has a number of suggestions of how they dress according to their back ground (p.322 -325):

The Imperial Navy:

Rogue Traders from a Naval background often maintain the
trappings of their former rank, ornamented with all manner of
additional finery. Thus, a Rogue Trader might wear a formal
dress coat similar to that worn by a high admiral (even if he
had never attained such rank himself !), complete with rows
of medals and awards, gold-braided epaulettes, and metres of
elaborate piping. Yet, he might wear his hair braided in the
fashion of some feral world tribe, or facial tattoos in the style
of an anarchic hive gang. Alongside a treasured Naval cutlass
he might carry a sword of unknown, yet unmistakably xenos
manufacture, or bear other weapons traded with or stolen from
any one of a hundred bizarre societies.

The Imperial Guard:

In appearance, these militant Rogue Traders vary hugely.
Many wear the trappings of the regiment from which they were
originally drawn, which unlike the formalised uniforms of the
Imperial Navy is often specific to the culture of the homeworld.
They may also wear elements of the uniforms of the general
staff, including long, elaborate coat, or peaked cap. The many
who prefer to lead their conquests from the front line mix such
dress in a manner more appropriate to their warrior background,
combining dress uniform with carapace or even power armour.

Merchants:

Mercantile Rogue Traders often dress in the manner of
opulent heads of state, bedecking themselves in fine jewellery,
most of which is in fact some hidden weapon, force field, or
sensor. They surround themselves with individuals indentured
to their service before birth, drawing on familial connections
that stretch back in time for many generations.

Imperial Commanders:

Such Rogue Traders vary enormously in appearance and
personality, but they often come to embody the culture of
their lost homeworld. Local modes of fashion are exaggerated
far beyond their original form, and dialects and customs are
held dearly lest they be forgotten forever.

The Administratum:

In appearance, these machiavellian princelings often prefer
to remain comparatively inconspicuous. They might wear the
vestments of their former positions, such as the monkish robes
of the scribe. Others wear more ornate dress, but keep the
colours dark and subdued, lending them a brooding, menacing
aspect and hinting at the foolishness of crossing them. They
tend not to wear conspicuous weaponry, yet only a fool would
assume such an individual was unable to defend himself. These

Overall though as already stated in the thread its all about context. If your RT hangs about people and is of the more social type then impressive dress of some sort is the order of the day. A rogue trader relies on his warrant his ship and his influence to get by and not necessarily in that order, Browbeating petty officials after is the order of the day, but sometimes you need to charm people too and then like now, certain people think that a person who wears a suit of armour all the time simply isnt to be trusted. Even so they probably use mesh weave in the clothing to

On the other hand if you are a more militant  Rogue Trader, its common to wear carapace armour or power armour as you will be in the thick of it.

Most Rogue Traders have a combination of either. My own has the  Light enforcer armour and power armour. But most of the time he wears the Enviromental body Glove (Dark Heresy Inquisitors handbook: Frontier worlds section) a large Mesh Weive cape and a Rosarius. (He was a Progenium educated administratum frontier world notary/Inquisitorial catspaw before he came into his warrant of trade)

Think about your characters background. Think about what experiences they have had. Think about how the conduct buisness now. That should suggest how they dress and how much armour they wear, and what weapons they carry 

Trooperist said:

Head Plugs

Need some metal and rubber stuff jammed in the side of your head and disappearing somewhere under your jacket/armour. Besides the fact it'll probably get caught up in low lying branches, make sleep next to impossible and get part of your brain yanked out if someone decides to hang off it. Its just not 40k unless you've got some ******* stupid **** hanging out of your face somewhere.

Not all bionic replacements and patching up of wounds are clean and tidy. Those headtubes may well be the input/output feed for that bionic eye.

As for fashion, not a lot to add. Context is important as is the sort of impression you want to convey. Many people are easily deceived by appearances and so it befits a Rogue Trade to exploit that to the hilt.

For a formal setting for a Rogue Trader, I would either go with a dress uniform or other selection of finery. A Best-crafted carapace armor engraved with the family crest on the chest plate and maybe some other icons as well, with a fine xeno pelt cloak. If you feel the need to carry a weapon, carry a single weapon like a finely crafted power sword( one of the Eldar variety will certainly turn heads) or engraved bolt or las-pistol. For a real statement carry a pair of dueling pistols( one for you, one for the unfortunate that insults your Honor). Hope this helps

What you wear to an event is the image you want to project.

A lot of Rogue Traders will overdress specifically to project a false image of their personalities.

There are ridiculously embelished power armors out there. These can probably count as dress uniforms. These usually have nonsense like sculpted pauldrons and greaves, stupid amounts on ornamentation on the breastplate and a small quiet power source which only negates the weight of the armor and gives no other combat bonus. I think there were rules for something like that in one of the DH books but I forget which. Wearing something (extravagent military dress) like this means you're trying to portray yourself as a wannabe militant, or a shallow warmonger if you actually have victories under your belt.

If you dress in conservative military dress, you can project a quiet but competent demeanor or an unimaginative & dull demeanor.

If you dress in elegant and in fashion evening wear, you can project confidence and style, but also temporal, air headedness.

If you wear full battle gear (especially if its flashy), you probably are conducting gunboat diplomacy (better hope you have the biggest gunboat out there).

You could dress expensive but crass - if you want to project a small timer done good and rub it into your "betters".

A good RT will probably have a nice collection of clothes for the right situation.

Hantheman said:

There are ridiculously embelished power armors out there. These can probably count as dress uniforms. These usually have nonsense like sculpted pauldrons and greaves, stupid amounts on ornamentation on the breastplate and a small quiet power source which only negates the weight of the armor and gives no other combat bonus. I think there were rules for something like that in one of the DH books but I forget which. Wearing something (extravagent military dress) like this means you're trying to portray yourself as a wannabe militant, or a shallow warmonger if you actually have victories under your belt.

You aren't thinking of Lidhl pattern power armour, are you?  (Inquisitor's Handbook, p. 181)  It's light power armour, noted as having an impressive visage and a great deal of space for one's personal heraldry.  Unfortunately, substance trumps style in this case, and the protection isn't great - It's only AP 6.  Personally, I'd go for enamelled and inlaid best quality Enforcer Light Carapace, worn discreetly for the same protection but far less bulk... then again, there is no accounting for taste, I suppose. 

Cheers,

- V.

Vandegraffe said:

You aren't thinking of Lidhl pattern power armour, are you?  (Inquisitor's Handbook, p. 181)  It's light power armour, noted as having an impressive visage and a great deal of space for one's personal heraldry.  Unfortunately, substance trumps style in this case, and the protection isn't great - It's only AP 6.  Personally, I'd go for enamelled and inlaid best quality Enforcer Light Carapace, worn discreetly for the same protection but far less bulk... then again, there is no accounting for taste, I suppose. 

Cheers,

- V.

OMG, Lildl is a cheap discounter store in Germany, known for its sometimes dubious treatment of personnel files (surveillance etc.).

Now ill have forever etched into my brain:

Buy cheap, buy a Lidle power armour, now with extra space for your heraldry.

Voronesh said:

OMG, Lildl is a cheap discounter store in Germany, known for its sometimes dubious treatment of personnel files (surveillance etc.).

Now ill have forever etched into my brain:

Buy cheap, buy a Lidle power armour, now with extra space for your heraldry.

We've Lidl over here too (Ireland) and yes, there were many jokes about "Lidl power armour". gui%C3%B1o.gif

Vandegraffe said:

Cheers,

- V.

Haha! YES that power armor! Ironically despite being incredibly flashy, it does not inflict a -30% to Conceal and Move Silently (!!!) due to it providing less than 7 AP (stupid catchall armor rules lol). The fact that is is bulky also means u can hide other toys in it.