Sign in to follow this  
Denmar1701

shock staff with las gun single shot?

I had a player come to me today wanting to create the weapon listed above in the topic.

I told him 'no', pointing out that any new weapon would simply not be trusted at best, as everyone knows it's the anchient weapons that are usually the best quality, and new weapons would probably be taken at worst, as xenos or archeotech.

With that said, has anyone heard of such a weapon, or have one in their campaigns?

Specifically a Shock staff with integral lasgun? not so much. However, old Nemesis weapons were Force weapons with integral boltguns. So there is precedent for the concept. Depending on how *Awesome* you want it to be, anything from laspistol/carbine/rifle. The Officer cutlass in IH shows that Shock can be added to more than just a club. Likewise, IIRC, IH also has a GunSword, melee/ranged weapon.

Balancing points, the Las-weapon loses 'reliable', unless the whole weapon is bought as 'Good' Quality. You may/or not limit the ammo capacity or type it can use.

Staff damage being 1d10? The effective life of this will be eclipsed quicky enough once the character faces T3-4, Flak-wearing goons, ignoring the first 7-9 pts of damage a hit.

Rarity, through the roof.

at least that's off the cuff.

Use the combi-weapon rules! Making availability harder and halve the ammo on the ranged weapon (I like the Radical's Handbook's take on this, really. One shot doesn't seem to make sense with some classes of weaponry like las).

Just make sure that in any case you should add unbalanced or even unwieldly to the combination weapon. Adding a ranged weapon is not the way to make a weapon easier to parry with. 

Shouldn´t this work the same as when attaching an exterminator to a weapon? And I don´t think that there is any penalty except increasing weight to attaching an exterminator to a weapon.

The battle sister in our group is armed with an ordinary wooden pilgrim´s staff with an attached exterminator. The heretics won´t be expecting that!