Sign in to follow this  
Hardrainfalling

what next for Deathwatch

I'd say a "real" GM manual. That is, something a bit more precise on the whereabouts of the Reach.

That would be absolutely optional, but I'd like to see what they had in mind when designing the Omega Vault and the Jericho-Maw Warpgate.

The Archilus Crusade is apparently next up. So more about various planets in the reach and stuff on the Crusade. Summer release.

After that though; who knows? They may start to concentrate on Black Crusade and cut back on the DW stuff, but judging by the other game titles, we'll be in for more books.

A GM guide might be in the making, with more background stuff, but I'd imagine that Archilus Crusade will already cover a lot of that ground. There's more founding Chapters to be covered, though. Who knows where they might squeeze those in, but it's something that will probably boost sales of whatever book it goes into.

Another 3-part adventure is sure to be in the making, assuming FFG made enough money from the last one. Perhaps the start of a full-on campaign of adventures, released in 2-3 books, as DH did. It depends wholly on sales though, as adventures are traditionally not a great money-spinner in the industry.

A background book on Erioch itself would be nice. FFG have built a nice setting and it's worth expanding more. I personally wouldn't buy it if it was all fluff, though, so to my mind it would need to contain at least one and more likely two fully fleshed out adventures: Perhaps a trip into the vault itself, and something intrigue-based. Another Chapter and some more wargear would fit nicely into here, as well as more details on the Watch's killships and a bunch of NPCs and more plot ideas. More on the day-to-day life of the Marines of the Watch.

Perhaps a book that offers ideas of games outside the watch. Actually: That'd be good... A book about the various Chapters, with more information on each. 10+ pages on each of the Loyal founding Chapters and a few more Successors would make a great book, with some great fluff. Add a chapter of advice on running Chapter-based games outside of the Deathwatch, and perhaps a bit more on Black Shields and even traitor marines, and some more relics and it'd  easy make the page-count. And it'd sell, too! Sure: We all know the background of our fave Chapters off by rote, but it would be great to have it all in a nice shiny book with colour prints. Rock!

And FFG... if you're reading this, feel free to steal these ideas and let me write some of them up for you! gran_risa.gif

What I want: another Xenos book with Eldar and their Dark Kin, more Orks, more minor aliens and really big monsters [Tyranid gargantuan creatures and bio-titans, Ork Squiggots etc.], rules for starships [i want to fight Tyranid invasion in space], rest of first founding chapters rules.

Mark of Xenos is out anytime now, and will pretty much fit that bill.

I'd personally consider starship rules a total waste of ink, considering that they're already in RT and that the PCs aren't starship captains. If they want to fight foes in space, they can go out the airlock and do it like proper space marines!

I would like to see another "mark of xenos" book, expanding on the enemies, but maybe more than that, I would like to see more on new chapters and possible new specialites/advanced specialites.

Maybe include vehiclesn for the orks in that book, i doubt its in motx and im not going to have ork in rhinos running around.

ELDAR vehicles! (drools)

No really my guess from here on out is 3 part adventures, an expanded list of chapters would be really nice, really nice.

Heres a short list (pay attention ffg, this is what we want) of chapters I would like to see

The rest of the founding legions, Doom eagles, Dragon Lords, Doom legion, celestial lions, Exorcists, Howling griffons, Mentors, Iron fists, Iron snakes,  Mantis warriors, Raptors, Relictors, Red scorpions, Steel cobras, Storm lords, Tiger Claws, Vorpal swords.

Of course, the biggest problem there is chapter speciffic psyker powers. What a pain.

I want a book that lets you play Scouts and work your way up to full marines.

I also want at least the rest of the founding chapters covered.

deinol said:

I want a book that lets you play Scouts and work your way up to full marines.

I also want at least the rest of the founding chapters covered.

Took longer than I thought to mention the other first founding chapters.

Interesting idea, kind of like an anti-ascension, also a good place for the the other chapters. And rules for a single chapters games.

index.rpg.net/display-entry.phtml

Really, I would advise Ross or whoever to ebay this or whatever. It's a book filled with 'Relics' to unearth in Indiana Jones RPG. Not that any of the items are immediately applicable to DW but.. it's a great source of inspiration.

Apart from that? Mission trilogy, guys! I'd like to see more interaction with regular chapters. I think it holds an interesting dynamic and it does serve to make the PCs feel like the **** FBI. gran_risa.gif

Alex

i'd like to see a starship based adventure with nice floor plans , like the Ashanti High ligthening book for Traveller years ago with a set of adventures set on an imperial battleship could be filled with fluff and detail about the depths of the ship and crew and what could be lurking within

or even set on a drifting ship that been in the warp a ghost ship mission maybe fading in and out of reality so at times the crew are their and others its a ghost ship as time distorts

Siranui said:

I'd personally consider starship rules a total waste of ink, considering that they're already in RT and that the PCs aren't starship captains. If they want to fight foes in space, they can go out the airlock and do it like proper space marines!

I wouldn't mind a few 'crossover' books that covered stuff like this. It would also be an opportunity to integrate the various lines, which is something that a lot of people seem to want.

Something that gave you stats for Space Marine vessels, as well as rules to build them (and maybe some of it not being Astartes only). And there would also be rules for having groups of Space Marines on your ships (obviously something Rogue Traders could use, if they're of a proper inclination).

And Rogue Traders would of course get stuff just for them, perhaps some sort of crusading Specialty, that enhanced combat operations, as well as improved how well you got along with the more militant factions of the Imperium.

Plus, I think having actual rules for ships would make planetary assaults, which are a specialty of the Space Marines. I remember my Black Templar Techmarine arguing in favour of crashing one of the system monitors on to the surface of a rebellious Hiveworld. Though the other members of my Kill-Team convinced him that it would be better to capture and use the ship.

There is precedence in Deathwatch for Marines commanding starships (Thunder's Word). Marine vessels are the one big thing that Battlefleet Koronus lacks in my opinion. They have strategical ground rules for Astartes but no vessels for them.... I highly doubt that Marines would allow themselves to be transported on a Rogue Trader freighter.

Mjoellnir said:

I highly doubt that Marines would allow themselves to be transported on a Rogue Trader freighter.

It was mentioned a long time ago that Rogue Traders had often been known to have a company of Space Marines on board. It's not mentioned as much now but is mentioned in RT, I guess it's a way for Chapters that otherwise see little action to find some guaranteed (although entirely random) action.

My personal view is that it's rare these days but was much more common just after the Heresy when the Imperium was a lot smaller, and rogue traders were more a important, if not the most important, means of Imperial expansion.

Face Eater said:

It was mentioned a long time ago that Rogue Traders had often been known to have a company of Space Marines on board. It's not mentioned as much now but is mentioned in RT, I guess it's a way for Chapters that otherwise see little action to find some guaranteed (although entirely random) action.

My personal view is that it's rare these days but was much more common just after the Heresy when the Imperium was a lot smaller, and rogue traders were more a important, if not the most important, means of Imperial expansion.

The problem with fluff/BFG Rogue Traders is that they all come with cruisers that can match or outgun a Space Marine Strike Cruiser. In the Rogue Trader RPG cruisers are more rare and frigates, raiders and transports a lot more common. While I can easily envision a full company of Space Marines on a proper cruiser I don't think they would allow them to be transported on a badly-armed freighter or a fragile raider.

I'd personally like to see a version of the Index Astartes books that GW put out in the past. That is, background, rules and artifacts for all the founding chapters and the more prominent successor chapters. I would love to be able to play as a Salamander or a Blood Raven! This book should also include unique items and artifacts for these chapters and maybe tie it all up with rules for running a DW killteam in the context of a much larger context like a planetary invasion. 

Face Eater said:

Mjoellnir said:

I highly doubt that Marines would allow themselves to be transported on a Rogue Trader freighter.

Mentioned in the original Rogue Trader (1987), but I don't recall seeing any mention of it in the current line. Mind you things were very different in the original Rogue Trader and that many of the current views on technology, space marines, aliens and the like vary (sometimes wildly sometimes minimally) from 40K as we know it today.

To me the most limiting thing about Deathwatch at the moment is the really low number of Specializations. So I'd like to see a few more Core specializations, if they could manage it without making them feel same-y. Or even a book of Deathwatch-scaled and sanctioned non-Space Marine Characters. Temple Assassins, Ordo Xenos Inquisitors, whatever. Because if you tried to make one in DH and port it over you'd either break your game into tiny little pieces or would have to rewrite the system.

Other than that, Chapters. Mostly the rest of the First Founding ones.