Sign in to follow this  
Ciphias

Maps?

Hail fellow Battle Brothers!

How do you deal with the lack of maps in the adventures?  Extraction has 2 and I like the style of them, but final Sanction features none...only a few discriptions of the areas.  As a former Shadowrun and Mechwarrior Player I am  used to have maps for every encounter and it`s a lot of work to create those maps by yourself.

Only telling the players:" Ok, there`s a horde charging you, there`s a bit cover to your left and a river to your right..." is also not the style that pleases me.

I got campaign cartograhper 3 but it is still not the tool I`m looking for. 

I would really appreciate if FFG would support the GM`s with more maps (at least for the main encounters)...so what`s your opinion?

Personally I agree with you that having maps is good, I got a little portable white board and some erasable pens so I could sketch maps on and basically make them up as I go along. This allows me to be a bit flexible with my game design while still keeping verisimilitude because as long as I know roughly how big an area is I can scale accordingly, and the players seem to like it. I'm not exactly an artist mind you, even my straight lines for walls are not very straight.

But yeah in answer to your main question I tend to make up a campaign sandbox map which I draw on paper, and then a number of encounters in mind, and then I just make up the fine details of the map, sprinkling around terrain until It feels appropriate. I don't mind ffg's lack of maps pernally, I find it quite easy to just make stuff up on the spot with a whiteboard and a pen

Ciphias said:

I am  used to have maps for every encounter and it`s a lot of work to create those maps by yourself.

Quoted for truth. I hope FFG reads this. The point in buying scenarios is to reduce my workload as GM drastically. If a substantial workload remains, there is little incentive for me to buy that scenario.

Which means not only that having enough maps is important for me but also that the scenario is internally consistent enough and that you avoid text and attached maps being divergent.

Alex