Sign in to follow this  
Callmeishmael

Making NPCs (DM question) and spending Profit Factor

This is probably me being dense and not noticing something blatantly obvious.  I do that sometimes.  However, I have a few rules questions as a soon-to-be new DM that you gentlefolk may be able to help me with. 

First off, are there any formal rules for generating NPCs?  If I'm making a significant NPC or nemesis, I'll use the PC generation system, but that seems a bit too involved for grunt NPCs and bit players who may or may not even appear, and while I appreciate all the premade npcs in the various books, I feel like there should be a framework for making new NPC types to suit the campaign's needs.  Have I just overlooked the appropriate sections, or has someone else put something together?

Also, are there any rules for expending or burning profit factor?  My sense is that, if the PCs go on a sufficient spending spree, say by purchasing and fulling rigging out a light cruiser in the space of a session, there should be a dip in their resources for a while as they liquidate some assets and mortgage others, at least until their new acquisition is out generating revenue rather than consuming it.  Maybe too an option where, if players don't want to fail a critical acquisition, they can burn some PF to get a bonus on their role, representing a truly monumental outlay of resources.  I even feel like I've seen comments on the forums during previous creeps that referenced something like this, but now I can't find anything for the life of me online or in the books.  Am I imagining things?

I'm pretty excited about trying out RT and introducing it to my group.  Any help you gentlefolk can give me would be greatly appreciated.

Until now I only use NPCs' statistics using NPC section from FFG books. There are lots of them (well, maybe not all of them are suitable to our needs though). But I tend to use the same NPC's statistics on several NPC as well, only differing in how to play them (and put some attitude and such).

About Profit Factor, there is a rules section in "Into the Storm". Simply put, shopping spree in one session could lead to misfortune, trouble, suspicion, and -10 cumulative penalty. BUT, PCs can 'burn PF' to temporarily raise PF for 1 acquisition.

Basically it breaks down like this:

Most NPCs don't need stats, but you must be consistent.  Make note of anything you tell your players.

If the NPC is only showing up for combat purposes divine the following BS/WS, TB, AB, AP, and Wounds.

Is it going to be engaging in melee?

• You will need a SB.

Can the character dodge?

• If so you will also need a dodge rating based on Ag.

Anything else that comes up in combat can be determined on the fly.

What weapon is it using?

• Look at a weapon table.

How many attacks does it get?

• How ever many you think fits its challenge rating if that means giving it swift attack or lighting attack so be it.

Is it lootable?

• Weapons would be in most instances; clothing/armour as long as you don't mind giving it to the PCs which is why you don't fudge AP.

Once you have a good understanding of the rules and your players the benefits to making it up as you go along will become huge.  If you go to the trouble of stating up npc's your characters ignore or kill in a surprise round you're just wasting your time.

If they decide to sneak past your npc guards and pass their check you only needed to come up with the one stat.

I do recommend though making a few standard stat lines you feel comfortable with and drawing on those for the basics.  As your players advance in strength update 'em so new challenges remain challenging.

Also, as mentioned several beasts and npc's have already been detailed, and if they come up against them you should be familar with their capabilities.  That's not to say the ones your players encounter are exactly as those described.  As the GM you have the freedom to improvise and should use it.

And you only need the game effects, not the talents that give them. T (10)5 is all you need to note for unnatural toughness. I find it hard to remember what talents give you what, so I just note down the number of attacks, or the damage w/o naming the talents.

I have a five tier system for NPCs. Unskilled, Trained, Veteran, Elite, and Master. I have all the bonuses figured out, and I cut and paste, so I can make someone who is a Master at defense, but only Trained at ranged, while Elite in melee. I also have ranked weapons by these ranges, so I give armor based on what level defense I want, weapons based on ranged and melee level.

Nojo509 said:

And you only need the game effects, not the talents that give them. T (10)5 is all you need to note for unnatural toughness. I find it hard to remember what talents give you what, so I just note down the number of attacks, or the damage w/o naming the talents.

I have a five tier system for NPCs. Unskilled, Trained, Veteran, Elite, and Master. I have all the bonuses figured out, and I cut and paste, so I can make someone who is a Master at defense, but only Trained at ranged, while Elite in melee. I also have ranked weapons by these ranges, so I give armor based on what level defense I want, weapons based on ranged and melee level.

Do you have those five tiers available for download somewhere or could you post them or PM them to me? It'd be much appreciated for a GM that loves to stream line things for fun and profit! gran_risa.gif