Sign in to follow this  
Eddie

Demo: extraction or Final Sanction

I'm going to demo Deathwatch in a few weeks. Which adventure do you think is best for one session? Extraction from the main book, or Final Sanction? And why?

Players are used to several RPGs: D&D, Call of Cthulhu, Dark Heresy, Doctor Who.

I'd say Extraction fits one session better, 'cause Final Sanction is really dense and you may wish to expand it over more than just one game.

My 2cents anyway ;)

Stormast said:

I'd say Extraction fits one session better, 'cause Final Sanction is really dense and you may wish to expand it over more than just one game.

My 2cents anyway ;)

This.

Extraction has some flaws, but as a simple one-shot to introduce players to a new game it's very useful.

Final Sanction, while a bit short on roleplay aspects for my tastes, provides a solid adventure that you can stretch out over multiple sessions.  I recommend looking at FS and Oblivion's Edge as a single adventure and preparing accordingly.  If you're just looking for action, they're right up your alley.  With a few tweaks, you can expand on them even more and get more bang for the buck (which is pretty good since they're free).  Either way, it makes for a fun scenario.

I'd run FS mainly because it's a much more engaging adventure and has an awesome opening that the PCs won't forget. There is absolutely zero chance of them forgetting dropping into the church and then taking out rebel hordes for breakfast.

Extraction is okay but it is very, very basic. FS gives you options to expand things if they are going well and offers the players some choice about where they go and what leads they pursue.

I want to echo the above statements. Only use Extraction if you want to run a short (2-3 hours) intro. Otherwise, Final Sanction is a better longer session or multi-session adventure.

I send my players first through "Extraction" because it`s more straightline than final sanction...FS will be the next;

but, by the way...as I read over FS I realize that the nest of the broodlord is at a Promethium Refinery...hm, fuel?...what to do if the players choose simply to blow the hole **** place up into heaven without going in?  Not the way to earn a lot of honor but quiete simple and effective.

I don`t want to tell them " ey, you are space marines...you don`t do that because it`s honorless..."

Ciphias said:

I send my players first through "Extraction" because it`s more straightline than final sanction...FS will be the next;

but, by the way...as I read over FS I realize that the nest of the broodlord is at a Promethium Refinery...hm, fuel?...what to do if the players choose simply to blow the hole **** place up into heaven without going in?  Not the way to earn a lot of honor but quiete simple and effective.

I don`t want to tell them " ey, you are space marines...you don`t do that because it`s honorless..."

The order Final Sanction-Oblivion's Edge-Extraction allows the GM to attach the KT personally to the last mission: The Magos might have incorporated data that the KT gathered at Avalos (based on the Hive Fleet Genus samples). So they'd be salvaging their own work.

Other than that I'd recommend Extraction: it's much shorter than FS.

Alex

Ciphias said:

There may be some different interpretations here.

On the one hand, if you consider the planet doomed with no chance to save it (which, imho, is clearly not the way it was conceived, but hey ;)), then blowing up a Promethium Refinery is clearly a clever and efficient way to get rid of the Big Baddie.

On the other hand, if you want to save the planet, it is because it is interesting, not only by mere altruism. The fact that it has a Promethium extraction site may be part of the objectives (tertiary objective: keep the Refinery in order/cleanse it).

That's for the "core" reflexion. Then you have the add-ons.

SPOILER ahead, though I'm sure most here have already played the scenario anyway :P

For example, the Inquisitor may still be inside. If she's alive, I'm not sure blowing up the factory is a clever way of helping her. Plus she has data with her: that means you'll lose it, which is clearly not a good point in favour of you when you get back to Erioch. And to add up to that, the Assassin - I forgot her name, the one who disguises as a Guard, will be emphasizing my points here.

/SPOILER

So you see, there are quite a lot of reasons not to blow it up mindlessly. Plus it requires to get near anyway. Plus it would do some massive damage to the city.

But "honour"...Well, Space Marines do act with honour, but they principally act with efficiency, so you're totally right not willing to put that in the discussion :)

Ciphias said:

I would adapt it into the plot, if they want to blow the promethium reserves tell them that the reserves are heavily armoured underground (to protect them from most damage) so they have to get into the structure to set a bomb and then fight their way out, then as they are setting up the bomb or escaping hit them with the broodlord fight. They dont have much support in FS (I dont think) so they arent going to be ordering orbital bombardments on the refinery or anything

I'd actually run Extraction first, as it's a much shorter scenario and actually written with a campaign in mind, whereas FS was written more as a one-shot, is rather long, and is extremely lethal. It's also a long adventure to wait for XP. As a player, I'd prefer something shorter and with a more immediate reward. Plus that XP earned will be a real boon when doing FS.

As regards the promethium... as already stated, the party should be fed hope that the Inquisitor is alive and has valuable information. Just blowing it up and potentially murdering the Inquisitor who they were summoned to help should be an obviously bad course of action and one that costs Rep and potentially the party's rep with the Inquisition.