Sign in to follow this  
TrooperShark99

Frodo is coming, what does everyone think ! interesting option ?

I think we should wait until we see the English text before we parse language to precisely.  Especially since the Spainish and French text apparently have important differences, and we all seem to agree about how the card should function. 

Toqtamish said:

It will most likely be like game of thrones where the card goes in to a moribund state before it dies and goes away. Within that window you cancel the damage using Frodo's ability, so the damage no longer exists and you increase your threat equal to the amount of damage canceled. Pretty much makes Frodo one of the best defenders in the game. 

I'm inclined to agree with Toqa on this. The wording on the card is not the greatest but I think that Frodo would be hit, by the troll for instance, but his response triggers before the damage tokens are applied to the card are instead changed into threat.

Also the other thing about the card is the fact that this is a translation from the spanish. It's interesting that the French version states that When Frodo takes damage, rather than after. Hopefully the English version of the card has less ambiguity to it.

Toqtamish said:

It will most likely be like game of thrones where the card goes in to a moribund state before it dies and goes away. Within that window you cancel the damage using Frodo's ability, so the damage no longer exists and you increase your threat equal to the amount of damage canceled.

That's also how it works in CoC, i.e. when a card would leave the game you get a 'last opportunity' to avoid that fate by playing a Disrupt.

And as I already pointed out in a different thread, there is no difference between 'when' and 'after'. They're used interchangably (in CoC).

jhaelen said:

That's also how it works in CoC, i.e. when a card would leave the game you get a 'last opportunity' to avoid that fate by playing a Disrupt.

It's interesting that they don't use "disrupt" anywhere in LOTR.  Instead they chose to use the word "cancel" in conjunction with a response (e.g. Eleanor's ability, or the Hasty Stroke event).  Maybe they didn't want to have the confusion that arises with CoC (actions, disrupts, disrupts of disrupts etc). Of course, then we get into discussions like this one.

ricedwlit said:

It's interesting that they don't use "disrupt" anywhere in LOTR. 

Yeah, well. I looked up the CoC card which was used as an example (Enraged Gug) to explain this 'last opportunity' and it wasn't even a Disrupt. It was a Response, triggered by being wounded. So, even if the wounds/damage received would cause the character to be destroyed/dead, it could use its response before leaving play.

And in Frodo's case, the response happens to cancel the wounds/damage, thus avoiding destruction/death.

Wow Frodo is pretty impressive!

It seems pretty strong if this is "once per phase" and not "once per round". He's pretty much unkillable though maybe once he comes he will be needed for certain situations. Its also possible there will be something in the game that will kill a hero in a way other than damage.

Its cool to see such stronger cards coming out, but I also wonder if some core cards will become obsolete simply because they're not strong enough to match up to new scenarios.

Maybe Bilbo had higher threat because they valued his ability to merit it? Though his other stats seem to counterbalance it already and I would think Frodo's ability would also seem valuable.

I'm there with you... if the power curve is too high at the beginning... then lots of cards become obsolete, or some have to be banned... nobody wants that... ccgs/lcgs are anyway quite complex to follow - there is so much meta-information, such as faq, clarification rules, banned, restricted lists, etc. etc. ... try starting with MtG now :D