Sign in to follow this  
Reinn

[newbie]Build Orc deck and Dark Elf deck the simple way?

Hi all:

I have just brought the Warhammer Invasion(WI):Core set,its Dark/High Elf expansion and the first booster pack from the Corruption Cycle last weekend. I am a hardcore board/card game fan but new and really need your help to quickly setup simple decks to experience the duel between the Orcs and
the Dark Elves(I prefer to play as Dark Elves and I will leave my fridend with the Orcs).

I don't have the cards at my hands right now. Basically I'd like to know the general best practiceof how to build a deck out of the cards available? The size would be 50, I reckon.

So, I will start with my Dark Elf deck first. From the booster pack I see three good Dark Pegasus, which have Toughness(3). I found a simple combo based on the walking sacrifice and the building to return card with printed cost lower than 2 to draw one extra card. The tactic cards work pretty well
such as the "we need your blood" etc. However, I found some "weakness" like those:

Cost 1 units - the preists come to play without a power unless with developments in a section, this wouldn't mean anything at the start of the game; thus makes this unit only for later use?

Cost 2 units - the cards with a Scout feature, they are too weak to survive the combat to enable their card discarding ability. Any better use to utilize this feature?

Cost 4 units - the card with reduced cost if enemy has more corrupted units; but I can hardly find any card with ability to corrupt enemies. So this would mean to combine with the Chaos faction?

Cost 5 units - this would mean the heros: I get one hero to reduce enemy hit points based on the numbers of development in this section. I reckon this is the best of all "big fellas". For a deck of 50, how many cards of this would you include? 2? 3? to maximize the possibility to draw it at an early turn?

I have a nearby gamestore that can only provide The Corruption Cycle and The Enemy Cycle, so my choices are not too many... Any good cards for me to collect in those? Or should I just consult the full cardlist and read all of the descriptions from somewhere?

==============================================================

So for the Orcs. I got the booster to add three lovely Spider Rider in, they are pretty good cost 1 units. I cannot think of any better strategy to work out the Orcs faction as I feel like this faction is more emphasizing on brutal comabt power. How to improve it I really not sure.

==============================================================

For the Quests cards, I can only think them as a way to fetch additional resources to be used in later or when necessary. But which Quest cards to pick? I certainly don't have too many of them. So as a general rule of thumb, how many of Quest cards you would normally have in a deck?

Sorry for so many little questions and thanks a lot in advance!

I suggest you to use WH:I database from here javascript:void(0);/*1305536307745*/

Pure DE deck right now have only one effective strategy - Kill enemy units as fast as they can, enslave them and use them in your own purposes.
Here some examples:

1) Typical "Slaves" deck javascript:void(0);/*1305536707945*/ 

2) Max "- HP effect" deck javascript:void(0);/*1305536754553*/ 

Main DE weakness is a lack of support destruction - so if your opponent is lucky enough to build up his economy early,
most of your cards becomes non-efficient coasters. But the are some tricks, which are usefull against any opponents you will be facing.

Mortella, Soul Stealer and "Slave" tactis give you opportunity to use opponets cards to achieve your goals.
No matter what decks you will be facing, there always will be usefull tactics and units.
I advice you to play with each race to see how you can use their cards for your own good.

Here's a list of some simple DE combo's:

1) Dark Abyss + Seeking New Slaves 
2) Walking Sacrifice + Slave Pens/Whip the Slaves
3) Soul Steal + Slave Pens/Whip the Slaves + Seeking New Slaves - (Favorite combo against Rodrick Raiders)
4) Wight Lord + Slave Pens + Wight Lord, and so on
5) Offering to Hekarti + Seasoned Corsairs
6) Mortella's action + Chillwind + Mortella's action

Hope it will help.
And sorry for my bad English =( 

Deck 1 - illegal - Soul Stealer and Warpstone Excavation are restricted cards so either one or another.

Besides Slave For Every Occassion is to expensive to use (tell me what unit apart big guys like daemons/trolls are worthy to spend 4 resources especially when you cannot grab Hero unit from opponent's discard pile)

First deck was made before restriction - i've updated it.

Most of the time i use Slave for every occasion on:

1) Wight Lords (almost any Destro player use them)

2) Rodrick Raiders (All Empire players use them)

3) Descendent of Indraugnir 

4) Dreamer of Dragons

5) Seasoned Corsairs

6) Dwarf  Cannon Crew

These are obvious choices. But sometimes you are lacking 2-3 power unit to finish the game,
and this tactic can help with that.

Wight Lord and Descendent are the only sensible choices among all you suggest. 

Everything else should be picked up from enemy discard with Seeking New Slaves - cheaper and better.

Rodrick's are nice to be stolen but mostly they are covered with Church of Sigmar (or two) and you have to spend 6 resources for that using Slave For Every Occasion.

Are the Seasoned Corsairs worth it? You need add extra resource on your Hekarti? Use Lobber Crew, Easy Pickin's. Same effect and it doesn't target unit (important against Empire) plus having Lobber Crew in play (or two) allows you to have Pillage as well - only destro tactic which destroys enemy Support cards nicely.

Dwarf Cannon, Dreamer - I won't comment that.

I'm not saying it's a bad deck but it will have serious problems with i.e. Empire (Iron Discipline and Churches will kill your stealing tactic completely).

You can't win Empire with DE in current meta. We all know that.
I agree with you about Church of Sigmar - most my Empire opponents dont use them so
i've haven't this experience.

Hi Reinn! Welcome to the forums! ...and to the DE faction!

Before you do anything else, I suggest you take everyone's advice with a grain of salt (including my own). This forum is notorious for labeling decktypes (though they may be really good) as unbeatable and broken, (while making 30 threads about it... in every subforum... including off-topic...) Don't let it change your deckbuilding, because chances are, by the time you really know how to play the faction, it will be gone anyway and there will be a new flavor of the month.

I would say, your gameplan for DE is to disrupt your opponent's hand and field early, and then destroy them in the midgame.

In a way you're trying to rush, but you're rushing to put them in a better position for you later.

My playstyle differs from some, in that I don't use slave cards at all. The only good one IMO was Soul Stealer, and because of the restricted list, you don't want to lose your innovation or warpstone to play a 4 cost attachment.

I also don't use Offering to Hekarti in mono DE, though amazing, it's too slow for DE's usual gameplan, and mono DE can't deal with some of the other faction's midgame options if they are left untouched.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cost 1 units - the preists come to play without a power unless with developments in a section, this wouldn't mean anything at the start of the game; thus makes this unit only for later use?
~ I'm with you, I find those guys to be pretty weak because of this. I wouldn't even run them personally. If you really want to, you can use dwarf slaves to get 2 developments somewhere turn 1, but ehhh.

Cost 2 units - the cards with a Scout feature, they are too weak to survive the combat to enable their card discarding ability. Any better use to utilize this feature?
~Shades are actually pretty good, the best scout IMO. You want to hit a empty zone with them. They can make life pretty difficult for your opponent in the early game.

Cost 4 units - the card with reduced cost if enemy has more corrupted units; but I can hardly find any card with ability to corrupt enemies. So this would mean to combine with the Chaos faction?
~Yeah, pretty much. DE has chillwind to corrupt, but it's not enough.

Cost 5 units - this would mean the heros: I get one hero to reduce enemy hit points based on the numbers of development in this section. I reckon this is the best of all "big fellas". For a deck of 50, how many cards of this would you include? 2? 3? to maximize the possibility to draw it at an early turn?
~For a deck like DE, I would only run about 3, yeah. But IMO, all in-house DE at 5 cost are pretty bad. As has been previously mentioned though, Wight Lord is an awesome fit in DE because you can slave pen them at will. Look into these guys.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here are some of my favorites:

Early game:
Hate: Screw their first turn.
We need your blood: Nice surprise for spider riders, lobber crew (take care you don't have units already out though, or they'll just kill them in response), any quest zone only guys....etc.  It's especially nice used on your opponents 1st turn after you hate :)
Shades: If you start second and can play one of these guys, you might pull something key, not to mention keeping their hand down.  2 or more in the first few turns is a threat your opponent needs to deal with, which is nice for you!
Withering Hex: Apply liberally to their quest zone to help your shades.  If you can get them drawing 1 card a turn, you may have already won.
Vile Sorceress:  Old reliable.  Empire hates this card.
Slave Pens: Too good.  A trick is to play guys to your kingdom, count gold, and then feed them to one of these in quest before you draw cards.

Mid Game:
Wight Lord: Best in DE, as others have already mentioned.
Naggaroth Spearmen: If you've got gold, you can burn a zone in 1 turn with just this unit.  (Provided your opponent has no ways to mess with it, which is why you hit them early on with your shades and stuff.)
Seasoned Corsairs: Love it.  Boring, but does exactly what it is supposed to do, and has some staying power with its 3 HP.

Late Game:
(Don't let this happen!)

â—Kefkaâ— said:

Withering Hex: Apply liberally to their quest zone to help your shades.  If you can get them drawing 1 card a turn, you may have already won.

Are we talking about the card that gives -1P to the attached Support card? To apply it liberally to the QZ assumes opponent is using Supports there to boost its hammer-count and draw cards. At least for us, Supports are mostly KZ property, as many as you can, especially buildings when you have Treasure Vaults there. You can never have too many resources gran_risa.gif .

Against DE, you would be wise to put some support cards in the quest, lest Seasoned Corsair make an Offering to Hekarti and drop you to one card per turn.

Withering Hex is actually a decent card. It hits pretty much every support card that gets played except Banners. It's as good as a Pillage in a lot of spots for one less. 

My DE "staples" are Slave Pen, Offering to Hekarti, Seasoned Corsair; Har Ganeth, Walking Sacrifice are Hydra Blade are close. After that, they have a lot of cards that can be good in the right deck, but most choices will depend on what you're trying to do.

Soul Stealer is certainly not up there with some of the other Restricted list cards, but I think it's worth considering in some DE builds. Warpstone is risky with so many Haunted Cities out there. Innovation is OK if you are playing a lot of stuff on their turn, but might not be worth it if you have a lot of one-cost cards to round out your first turn (WNYB, Dark Visions, Withering Hex if you go second). Soul Stealer hitting a guy like Knights Panther or Sorcerer of Tzeentch on your second turn can be pretty huge.