Sign in to follow this  
rborkowitz

A question regarding Objectives

So if because of the Dungeon Jailer I need to place an Objective back into the deck, then...

1)  What happens to the Shadow card attached / guarding it?

2)  What do I do with it once the Objective card is later revealed from the deck?  Does it go into the staging area with a new shadow card attached>  Does it get automatically attached to a hero?

Sorry, I've looked around the forum for an answer but couldn't find one.

Thanks in advance for your help!

First you only shuffle an unguarded objective back into the deck with the Dungeon Jailor.

If you draw the Objective again, then deal it a new card to Guard it and resolve any when revealed effects or keywords.

Note that these are not Shadow cards but encounter cards (or cards from the encounter deck).

Shadow is something different in this game.

scottindeed said:

First you only shuffle an unguarded objective back into the deck with the Dungeon Jailor.

If you draw the Objective again, then deal it a new card to Guard it and resolve any when revealed effects or keywords.

Where does it say that? Dungeon Jailor states you shuffle one unclaimed objective back; that means you should be able to shuffle a guarded objective back in too. So far, I've played it that the attached encounter stays in the SA, but I can see that it may be more logical to shuffle that back in too. A FAQ entry would be welcome, I guess.

ClydeCloggie said:

scottindeed said:

Where does it say that? Dungeon Jailor states you shuffle one unclaimed objective back; that means you should be able to shuffle a guarded objective back in too. So far, I've played it that the attached encounter stays in the SA, but I can see that it may be more logical to shuffle that back in too. A FAQ entry would be welcome, I guess.

I only shuffle unguarded cards back in on the basis (and its tenuous) that the card says unclaimed, and a card can only be unclaimed if you have the option to claim it but choose not to do so. A card that is guarded cannot be claimed and therefore cannot be regarded as unclaimed!

On a more practical level, I think the dungeon Jailor ruling is there to stop players leaving objectives in the staging area until they strictly have to take them to go forward in the quest. Having the hero carry an objective debilitates that hero, so ideally you leave them in the staging area for as long as possible, but may need to get rid of the gaurd card because of threat levels.

Having the dungeon jailor come along and removed those unclaimed, unguarded cards is the inherent game design intended to try and nerf that tactic, IMO.

If it could also take guarded cards, that means that next time the card came out it might be guarded by a "lesser" card than before, so in theory the dungeon jailor mechanic could be used to the players advantage, which is surely never the intention of game design!?

Defo needs an offical FAQ ruling though, because its easy to argue either case currently.

So then unclaimed Objective cards that are not guarded are shuffled into the deck and when they are revealed (even as a shadow card) they are placed in the staging area with a new encounter card attached.  That's what I'm understanding to be the case at any rate.

So an additional question then: Are the cards guarding the objective considered to be in the staging area (and thus add their threat) or or they inactive until a player decides to "pop" it by engaging the enemy guarding it or traveling to that location?  Sorry, but I find the mechanics of this quest to be a little sketchy for me.

Once again, thanks for all the help!  :)

Instead of thinking of the enemy or location as attached to the objective, I like to think that the enemy is "carrying" the objective card or that the objective card is lying on the ground at the location that is attached to it. The enemy follows all normal rules for an enemy that is in the staging area. When it's killled or discarded, it drops the objective and the objective is now "sitting on the ground" in the staging area, unclaimed. In the case of a location, if Northern Tracker or some other card effect discards the location straight from the staging area or if the group successfully explores it, the objective is "found" lying on the ground and it is sitting there "unclaimed."

Elven Archer said:

Instead of thinking of the enemy or location as attached to the objective, I like to think that the enemy is "carrying" the objective card or that the objective card is lying on the ground at the location that is attached to it. The enemy follows all normal rules for an enemy that is in the staging area. When it's killled or discarded, it drops the objective and the objective is now "sitting on the ground" in the staging area, unclaimed. In the case of a location, if Northern Tracker or some other card effect discards the location straight from the staging area or if the group successfully explores it, the objective is "found" lying on the ground and it is sitting there "unclaimed."

Thanks a great way to explain it.  Thanks!

It's my understanding that any unclaimed objectives that were shuffled back in that show up as shadow cards are lost to the discard pile until that pile would be reshuffled. Is that correct? That would make the scenario very long indeed.

Yet that is exactly what has happened to me Every. Single. Time I've played the scenario so far. I just can't get away from the Dungeon Jailor / big threat card combo showing up. One day I'll get lucky, no doubt.