Sign in to follow this  
Rorschach Six

Reckless Dice Podcast Episode 9: Omens of War

We've got a super-sized episode available for all WFRP fans. All about Omens of War and includes and interview with one of the contributors: Ian Robinson. You can get it in iTunes and the link to the site is in my sig below. Share and Enjoy! 

I've listened to all of your core podcasts so far and I'm very glad to have them. For a short while I became concerned, because the podcast seemed to turn into a platform for nerd giggles with very little content. IMO the last two shows were very strong again - actually the best you have done so far. 

I'm happy you guys are back on track, continue the good work!

The Strolling Bones said:

T'was a blast Ian. 

I like the way you tried a Columbo style 'Just one more question...' thing at the end there, to try to get him to spill some beans.

AlephTau said:

I've listened to all of your core podcasts so far and I'm very glad to have them. For a short while I became concerned, because the podcast seemed to turn into a platform for nerd giggles with very little content. IMO the last two shows were very strong again - actually the best you have done so far. 

I'm happy you guys are back on track, continue the good work!

Yeah we were pretty dry and repectable on episodes 0-6, then we went a little zany on episode 7 but I think we've struck a good balance. We're not a comedy podcast, but then again we're not reading the news.

Thanks for listening!

Good audio.  Way too long :)

Got em thinking about the screwed-up opposed checks:  Why can't a 2str person succeed as often grappling against a 2 str person as a 5 vs 5 (because of the same double PURPLE dice).  We should do up a mathematical correction.  I've resovled to jsut go successes vs. successes or reduce it to 1 purple for 3 or lower characteristic.

jh

I was surprised to hear their gripe about the tracker in the adventure, and that it should have tied into Corruption.

I've never really seen corruption in this edition being assigned based on ethics (or acting in accordance with one of the Ruinous Powers). I've always seen it as more "exposure to chaos energies."  Seemed like a Ravenloft-ish approach to Corruption. 

(maybe this deserves its own thread)

Otherwise, good show.

ian,

any chance you can elaborate on how you incorporate the mordheim rules set into your campaigns? my introduction to the warhammer world was through mordheim - fantastic game.

(great podcast reckless lads) 

Thanks for the great feedback everyone!  Was a fun episode.  And a special thanks again to Ian for lending us his time.

I'm really looking forward to our special Episode 10!

And giving poor Dan a new handle, because he made the terrible mistake of letting us choose it for him haha.

Gitzman

New Zombie said:

ian,

any chance you can elaborate on how you incorporate the mordheim rules set into your campaigns? my introduction to the warhammer world was through mordheim - fantastic game.

(great podcast reckless lads) 

We play Mordheim scenarios as seperate battles for the campaign- we fight over a map, capture territories, and use Mordheim for special scenarios- to try and disrupt an enemy before a pitched battle, or to steal supplies and gold which are used to fund new armies.

it's great to bring all the aspects together when we can, although we do focus on WFRP.

so are the player characters represented as heroes in a single warband? or are they hired swords? or do the warbands not include the player characters at all and the mordheim scenarios simply change the landscape of the roleplaying campaign?

New Zombie said:

so are the player characters represented as heroes in a single warband? or are they hired swords? or do the warbands not include the player characters at all and the mordheim scenarios simply change the landscape of the roleplaying campaign?

We're still at the start of incorporating Mordheim into our games, so have 500gc warbands- and as we also have bad guys involved (beastmen and warriors) only the empire has any of our characters in it. Their warband is led by one of the PCs, but the rest of the group are hired swords. Generally we use the PCs fairly sparingly- whilst they are pretty powerful now by WFRP standards, they are still pretty small fry compared to the stats of a hero/lord in WFB. 

We use the characters on occasion, but as you say, we look to change the landscape of the RP world, and to tell the tales of larger battles that are more difficult to RP.

Essentially, as Ian said, the idea is to tie multiple game systems into one narrative, each one telling a part of the story and shaping the world that our characters inhabit and roleplay within. Warhammer games where units and characters advance (assuming they can survive) with skills and abilities, and where territory captured and lost effects the Political landscape of the Empire. Some of these Characters have been encountered by our PCs in the Roleplay, some are Characters that will appear in the Roleplay in the future. Similarly, the Mordheim games are tied together by storylines that bring in our RPG characters and demand storytelling as well as gaming from the players. We're just kicking it off, but it's proved extremely good fun so far.