Sign in to follow this  
HeavensThunderHammer

What future products do you want to see?

I'm just happy we've got torpedo and fighter/bomber rules... it took nearly two years after release but we finally got them. Now if we can get another 15,000xp to fill out the rest of the careers like Dark Heresy and Deathwatch have, it'd be nice too.

A Planets Guide with all the current, published places out of all three games and a generation guide to rolling your own planets, worlds, space stations, cities etc would be more useful than another lot of mostly terrible, railroaded adventures.

I don't think the adventures so far have been terrible or railroaded at all. I think they're very good, actually, especially Lure of the Expanse.

However, I do agree I'd like to see more background material. I loved the Footfall gazzetteer, and I want to see more of it. I recognise that FFG probably want to leave a lot of space for players to create their own background in Footfall, but I don't think that's incompatible with giving us more about the place.

I'd like to see a Footfall version of Hogshead's "Marienburg: Sold Down the River," or GW's "City of the White Wolf" or even the old Vampire city books. 

FFG very much runs the line as a game system, and seems to concentrate upon giving players new adventures, careers, weapons, gear etc. This is, I think, a sign that FFG is very much a gamer's company, run by and for RPG enthusiasts. This is, of course, a very good thing, but as the emphasis is upon a fun, playable RPG system, we see less of the background-heavy detailed worldbuilding one used to see in, for example, the World of Darkness.

FFG have not yet really ever released a pure background book. The closest to that would be something like "Into the Storm," which has background, but presented in a heavily system-related way.   

I guess it's a matter of balance. The old VtM city books were, frankly, never really as much use as a decent adventure to a GM, but they were good fun to read. (Although one also get the impression the writers were sometimes having more fun that the readers were.) They were also, as I recall, pretty popular.

I think a lot of game designers forget that an awful lot of the books they produce don't ever actually get used as game aids: many people buy them because they enjoy reading the actual books for the background.  Personally, I love the setting and background of 40k, and think the 40kRPG line is now robust enough to afford to have a complete setting and background book for each line.

Edge of the Abyss is a pretty background-oriented book. And I agree, WoD flavor-books were amazing reads. I didn't use 80% of them at the table but whenever I GM'd, I had some pretty awesome stories, if I do say so myself, that had a lot of inspiration from those books.

I too would like more splat books. Lure of the expanse was excellent, i enjoyed Edge of the abyss but it tried to cover too much and hence didn't go into enough detail on any one particular aspect.

A book looking at depth at one part of the expanse giving some good information on worlds, phenomenon, enemies and allies, aliens and so on would be really great.

I understand the desire to not nail down too many chamberpots but for me, books like this are always used as inspiration. I rarely run everything as written. A great alien ruin situated in one area might be moved to another, eldar might be replaced with orks, etc. But its interesting reading and really useful to help me fill out my own plot.

Crunchy stuff like Into the storm is also good but i don't see the need for anymore of it for rogue trader. New ship hulls, components, weapons and items can be introduced here and there without the need for a further "kit" book.

The background and rules books done by FFG are pretty good. Into the storm was a perfect buy for me, BFK while laden with errors is good if you like space combat / ground combat needs another iteration of rules though.

Edge of the Abyss is an interesting read.

The avdentures are a mixed bag. Into the maw (Free with the core rulebook) was written, when PF seemed to be easy to get. (You can monty haul it for more than 10 PF easily). ItS then allows you to burn those PF for anything you can desire; giving me the impression, that PF arent supposed to be that easy to get. Lure of the Expanse also stopped giving out 10+ PF for every 4-6 hours of playtime as well.

The Frozen Reaches on a quick readthrough is seriously lacking in ground combat aspects as well. The Damaris troop numbers add up to a measly 3 regiments. And only 1 of those is of good (read Imperial Guard quality). Defending Damaris city (1 billion population) seems simply ludicrous to me. 1 billion people have less than 100k troops to defend them. This doesnt smell like 40k to me. Or Damaris is a really laid back holiday planet.

Overall the adventures are of normal "buy adventures" quality. Nice to have, but must spend quite some time to improve said adventures to get em up to speed.

Having a WW2 fanatic in the group makes handing out a few regiments to defend a city bigger than Stalingrad a bayd proposition. Nothing a few name changes do not fix however.

So what do i actually want to see in this RPG? They covered pretty much all the bases now. Ground combat needs another tweak (maybe a dozen), but beyond that im good with the stock rules. Lances need to be fixed heavily though.

So what i would like to have is a "collection of endeavours" book maybe. Mine a planet, conquer a planet, cleanse an asteroid belt, exploit a digsite.

Also i would love for all the open strings to be completed by the metaplot. I can still decide tro play differently adfter all, but FFG should stop putting in too many untresolved secrets.

Currently we have a potential STC in control of a potentially heretic Sebastian Thule. The undred undred teeth waaaagh. Karrad Vall is also up to something. And the FFG pet mosters (read Rak'Gol) are also collecting Yu'Vath and Egarian technology for no apparent (up to now) reason. BTW i like the Rak'Gol, something that isnt as deadly as 'Nids or Necs or CSM to throw at the players :).

The Orks i dont care about too much, since their motives are always pretty clear cut. Karrad Vall be pretty much the front and center bad guy of the current adventure trilogy i guess. But the Rak'Gol are quite intersting.

About the STC i dont know, grabbing a wokring STC would be too much of a story change for FFG to do, unless done by GW itself first. So i guess we wont see this little secret be lifted ever. Or maybe it proves to be a incomplete STC laden with heretek and the PCs get to destroy said STC.

Which would give us another adventure, where the PCs can feel cheated at the end. Stop doing those please. I have played a dream scene once, Success got us effectively nothing (beyond survival woohoo :P) but seriously nothing is more infurating than playing for hours, only to get a zero out of it. Give the PCs something tangible as a reward for an adventure and most of the time, happiness rates postadventure seem to be rising.

My guess, if the Dread Pearl had been the Light of Terra, most PCs would have been quite happy. (And none the wiser).

I should stop sounding like someone with nothing to do, only badmouthing stuff. Put out more Rulebooks with goodies inside of them, and i will laud more often. Give us an Adpetus Mechanics book for example, featuring spacehsip background. Get an engineer onto the project as well, and retcon all those crewnumbers and mass values. I believe such a book would sell like hot apple pie. Especially when advertised by GW as the definite guide to spaceships in 40k as well.

Add a detailed (20 page) review of a Lunar class cruiser that features barracks and a cargo hold, and hand out tangible numbers concerning space (3-dimensional) and corresponging troop/crew numbers living aboard the ship.

Uh yeah, I think the book would be pure gold for 40k fans. But thats me. Add enough AdMech and Astropath and Navigator Nobilite background as well, and it could sell way beyond the Rogue Trader customers.

Voronesh said:

Give us an Adpetus Mechanics book for example, featuring spacehsip background. Get an engineer onto the project as well, and retcon all those crewnumbers and mass values. I believe such a book would sell like hot apple pie. Especially when advertised by GW as the definite guide to spaceships in 40k as well.

Add a detailed (20 page) review of a Lunar class cruiser that features barracks and a cargo hold, and hand out tangible numbers concerning space (3-dimensional) and corresponging troop/crew numbers living aboard the ship.

Uh yeah, I think the book would be pure gold for 40k fans. But thats me. Add enough AdMech and Astropath and Navigator Nobilite background as well, and it could sell way beyond the Rogue Trader customers.

Wow, oh wow do I support this! The AdMech has been treated quite badly I think. Sure, keep the kilometer long ship scales... but fix the numbers based from that.

I'd like to see it in a new Core Book but however they can get it published I'd like rules for Eldar Aspect Warriors. In BFK they talk about how the eldar craftworld ships have regiments of aspect warriors that are used in boarding actions but I have yet to find stat blocks for any of them. I want to harass my players with Warp Spiders jumping all over their ship killing stuff (and possibly being able to teleport from their ship to the players ship instead of using a boarding craft, the range could be too long though I'm not sure on the fluff for that)

Dark Caesar said:

I'd like to see it in a new Core Book but however they can get it published I'd like rules for Eldar Aspect Warriors. In BFK they talk about how the eldar craftworld ships have regiments of aspect warriors that are used in boarding actions but I have yet to find stat blocks for any of them. I want to harass my players with Warp Spiders jumping all over their ship killing stuff (and possibly being able to teleport from their ship to the players ship instead of using a boarding craft, the range could be too long though I'm not sure on the fluff for that)

Warp spiders jump range is MUCH smaller than the kilometers in star ship combat. They'd need to be boarding anyway in order to have a chance to cover that range. However, there is nothing to say that the eldar don't have teleportarium equivalents. Or a wraithbone webway torpedo that gives the eldar a portal into your ship. :)