Sign in to follow this  
mosern

Killing a fellow player's character (Psyker)?

Lynata said:

Kael said:
I think people look for more reasons to kill another person character than they do to keep them alive.

Not at all! Note that when I talk of lethal consequences, I am assuming the worst case scenario - the point where people snap and believe this to be the only option.

In essence, the point where your only options are to:

• a) sacrifice a rerollable player character or
  • b) sacrifice the integrity of the entire game

Also note that I am absolutely for finding alternatives, such as one part of the cell convincing the other to stay their hand, thus creating a scenario where everyone is able to play their character without bending or even breaking plausibility, and without any PKs. I am just strongly advocating against the idea that player deaths have to be avoided at all cost, because said cost can be quite high. 

Agreed, when all other options have been exhausted, party killings are an acceptable recourse - and a few people have detailed some very good scenarios in which this seemed the right course of action - so long as the players understand that this should only be done as a last option.  

The problem arises when  players get the message from a gm that PKing is okay in the setting and so try to find situations in which to do it.  To prevent this from happening, I would advise that GMs not bring the idea up on their own, and not let people know during character creation that such a thing is acceptable.  If the game goes there naturally, and the players understand the weight of what they're planning to do,  (and before someone says 'it's only a game', keep in mind that the characters should rarely feel blase about killing one of their own either, and this is one of those rare circumstances where the significance of killing someone in game actually feels real[ish] ... rather than "oh there's another heretic, boom boom!") that is one thing - but if they get the impression from their game master that it's an a-okay solution anytime they feel like it, that is wrong.  

So, I suppose a big part of this discussion should not only be, "is it okay" but "how is the gm approaching this subject with his players?". 

This really is a good thread and I'm glad to see it more active again after threatening to die out.  Does anyone have any more examples of PKs especially funny ones like the Seneschal gunned down by the Arbitrator for being a traitor?

Funnily enough, I orginally got the impression that this game was LETHAL.  However having got through Tattered Fates and having killed the Beloved and done away with the Widower, the only party death was the Psyker who was executed shortly after I burnt a fate point to avoid being char-roasted after he demonhosted on us.

(he actually rolled that his appearance looked that same as normal, so there's our buddy floating eight feet in the air, looking like he did any day of the week blasting large ammounts of people in a crowded market with psykic fire.)

Zakalwe said:

This really is a good thread and I'm glad to see it more active again after threatening to die out.  Does anyone have any more examples of PKs especially funny ones like the Seneschal gunned down by the Arbitrator for being a traitor?

Funnily enough, I orginally got the impression that this game was LETHAL.  However having got through Tattered Fates and having killed the Beloved and done away with the Widower, the only party death was the Psyker who was executed shortly after I burnt a fate point to avoid being char-roasted after he demonhosted on us.

(he actually rolled that his appearance looked that same as normal, so there's our buddy floating eight feet in the air, looking like he did any day of the week blasting large ammounts of people in a crowded market with psykic fire.)

Unfortunately, I'm all out.   I've set things up to promote party tension (ie. 1 player took the inquisitor slot when their inquisitor ate an inferno crit to the face,  much later on, second player received a Warrant of Trade) ... but unfortunately, as close as the party psyker-turned-Rogue-Trader got to showing the Inquisitor a long walk out of a short airlock, all was for naught.    The inquisitor actually wisened up to the idea that his benefactors higher up in the inquisition might not have his best interests in mind and decided that if he should start playing nice with the Rogue Trader just in case things got too interesting with his bosses. :)   Funny how finding out your both your main benefactors are radicals: 1 Istavaanian and 1 recongregator.

That's still awesome Storm.  Perhaps I need to start a new thread called something like 'Intra Party skull duggery and hijinks associated therewith'.

Unfortunately only having returned to gaming a few months ago I have nothing yet except for the Psyker PK I've already mentioned.

Though my Assassin did a lot of prancing around last session in his brand new xeno mesh just to make sure everyone in the party knew that it was alien, and that he didn't care that they knew.  We've just finished Tattered Fates and a Black Ship has finally turned up, next session I have to explain to the Inquisitor, but with by far the largest bodycount of heretics and demons, and generally coming up with the plan to foil the Pilgrims of Hayte he's like like:

"What's she gonna do?  Nothing that's what.  Probably give me a medal for my trouble".

Zakalwe said:

That's still awesome Storm.  Perhaps I need to start a new thread called something like 'Intra Party skull duggery and hijinks associated therewith'.

Unfortunately only having returned to gaming a few months ago I have nothing yet except for the Psyker PK I've already mentioned.

Though my Assassin did a lot of prancing around last session in his brand new xeno mesh just to make sure everyone in the party knew that it was alien, and that he didn't care that they knew.  We've just finished Tattered Fates and a Black Ship has finally turned up, next session I have to explain to the Inquisitor, but with by far the largest bodycount of heretics and demons, and generally coming up with the plan to foil the Pilgrims of Hayte he's like like:

"What's she gonna do?  Nothing that's what.  Probably give me a medal for my trouble".

"Educate men without faith and you make them nothing more than clever devils."

He may be skilled, but is he faithful to the creed? gui%C3%B1o.gif

Storhamster said:

"Educate men without faith and you make them nothing more than clever devils."

He may be skilled, but is he faithful to the creed?"   I love this quote, and it makes me want to nerd waffle about my character, so I will.

Jungo Max most certainly is not faithful to The Creed, and he is most certainly a clever devil.  He is totally faithful to the Emporer and humantiy though and loyal to his inquisitor.  His home world was a sky warrior (space marine) tithe world and the local cult venerated the Emporer but had little knowledge of or interaction with The Creed. 

Sadly (or fortuitously otherwise he wouldn't be a DH PC) after being taken with the tithe it turned out that his willpower was way too low to be a space marine even if he is a clever devil.  An Inquisitor saw her chance to pick up a clever bad ass an took the reject off their hands.

High INT + low WP = "Discretion is the better part of valour", though I have been a bit out of character and taking lots of risks because most of the other players are newbies and they tend to follow my lead.  I'm okay with a little hand waving there.  To illustrate his 'survival strategy' one of his favourite lines  after getting out of the kill-pit in the Red Cages was:

"When you see Jungo running away, it mean beasties too many and you should run too stoopid" (@ redemptionsit cleric who thinks we can win every fight we encounter)

Another of his favourites lines is:

"Jungo no good to Inquisitor and Sky Father if Jungo dead". (I know third person + feral world = cliche , but boy it's fun)

Nice quote by the way Storhamster, does that mean I'm a clever devil too?  Who's it from?

Feral Worlders are rarely faithful to the creed as preached by the ministorum, doesn´t make them any less fanatical to serve the Emperor though. happy.gif

The quote is from the DH core rulebook, skills chapter. It is taken from someone named Kross Vorgt, Drill Abbot. It remains to be seen just how puraitan Jungo´s inquisitor is but if he/she reqruited a feral worlder he(she must be tolerant of their ways.

unfortunately, as close as the party psyker-turned-Rogue-Trader got to showing the Inquisitor a long walk out of a short airlock, all was for naught.    The inquisitor actually wisened up to the idea that his benefactors higher up in the inquisition might not have his best interests in mind and decided that if he should start playing nice with the Rogue Trader just in case things got too interesting with his bosses. :)  

This is why I wouldn't let a player be an Inquisitor; these figures should be above any intimidation a PC can throw at them, they are the left hand of the Emperor after all.  In my opinion it cheapens the role if another player character can threaten to space the Inquisitor if they don't see eye to eye ... why even have him play an Inquisitor at that point?  He might as well be an Arbiter. 

Jack of Tears said"

"People who assume they can't be replaced are usually wrong".

With which I completely agree.  My charater is completely loyal to his inquisitior though, she is the tribal/gang boss, but I have been trying to play him in charater and he genuinely does think he has a great big pat on the back coming.

We found ourselves in a really bad situation with no leadership or Inquisisitrion support and Jungo totally stepped up and went beyond what was reasonable to expect.  I mean ****, he had only been in the Inquisisition for a few weeks.