Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Titanium Man

Custom Solitaire House Rules

58 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

I have noted on many occassions and i will do so again here that when it comes to cooperative games, for the game to have longevity and maintain interest of players it must feel "impossible" to beat.  This is absolutely the most vital component in Lord of the Rings the living card game.  If i was able to beat every quest i own, i would never play this game again.

Your experience and perspective are not universal. I've beaten almost every quest I've played, I fully expect to beat every quest there is, and yet I retain enough interest in the game to not only continue playing it but also write a blog about it for over two years now.

4 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

I don't see anything wrong with changing the rules of the game to make it easier to win, but I do think you are depriving yourself of the opportunity to dive deeply into the game, gain some mastery and overcome the challenge.

This part I'm right behind you on though.

Authraw and jnicol like this

Preferred win percentage is highly individualistic for a cooperative and/or solo game.  Here's how I would rank various LOTR outcomes (solo play, either one-handed or two-handed) in my preference:

1) I win, but it wasn't easy and I could have very easily lost.

2) I lose, but I had a chance to win and I could have very easily won with different decisions.

3) I stomp the quest.

4) The quest stomps me.

Authraw likes this

For me it is:

1) I lose, but I had a chance to win and I could have very easily won with different decisions.

2) The quest stomps me. (since it stay occasional and if it is in way that improve my deckbuilding decisions, not something decided only by random)

3) I win, but it wasn't easy and I could have very easily lost.

4) I stomp the quest.So yeah, it is really different from a player to another.

7 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

I don't see anything wrong with changing the rules of the game to make it easier to win, but I do think you are depriving yourself the oppertunity to dive deeply into the game, gain some mastery and over coming the challenge.  In a way what your doing is kind of a reflection of western society, aka, its too hard so we change the rules to make it easier.  

It is also a personal approach. So it could absolutely don't fit it way to play. And you shouldn't teach your way as the "good" way.

3 hours ago, dalestephenson said:

Here's how I would rank various LOTR outcomes (solo play, either one-handed or two-handed) in my preference

Your first two preferences match mine, but I would prefer to be stomped than to do the stomping. Provided I only get stomped once or twice in a row!

I like it when the encounter deck chews me up and spits me out on the first attempt. That means I need to rework my deck and figure out how to beat the quest, and makes victory much more satisfying when it eventually comes, since I feel that I earned it. 

As for the whole house rules thing, I am fine with people tweaking the rules to make the game more enjoyable for themselves, but I personally don't feel that I can be proud of a victory unless I followed all the rules, and that is important to me. It would be like solving the Rubik's Cube by moving the stickers around.

One thing to keep in mind as well is that you do have easy mode (aka no shadow cards).  This keeps the game very difficult in particular for new players, but you don't have a lot of house rules to deal with.

"Easy mode" is officially defined as removing the gold-ringed cards and giving each hero an extra resource at setup.  It is played with shadow cards.  Not using shadow cards is the "Basic Game".

And I guess you coul do both : easy mode (extra resources, no hard encounter cards) + basic mode (no shadow cards).