Sign in to follow this  
SolennelBern

Bought Daedalus...WOW at the quality!

Hey all.  I already own Tannhäuser in french from Take On You.  FYI, the boards are 4 separate squares made with cheap glue od warping like hell cardboard.  So...mines are warped like crazy in a way that I have to stick them with scotch tape to be able to play without having the figs slipping down or falling off.

So I decided to sell my TOY version of Tannhäuser (which will happen next sunday) and gonna buy the FFG english version.

To prepare for that I bought today the Daedalus expansion.  When I opened the box I expected 4 separate squares of cheap material boards but that's not what I get.  I instead got a full board, made from heavenly cardboard or something?!?!?  I was amazed at the quality...so amazed that I'm gonna buy FFG Tannhäuser tomorrow and enjoy some quality gaming with this awesome game.

Simple question: I saw on FFG store that you can buy Tannhäuser which comes with the revised rules.  In my local store, I can buy the FFG game WITHOUT the revised rules...Will I get the same quality pliable board and tokens with the "non revised" version I can buy at my local store?

Thanks!

Hi,

It is my understanding that the components are equivalent in FFG's base Tannhauser board game releases that come with and without the revised rules.  This said, if you've been playing with the original rules, FFG's overhaul really streamlines the game and makes many strong improvements on the game system. 

Have fun, this is such an awesome game!

If you buy a version of Tannhauser without the revised rules you will most likely get a folding board but it may be thinner and more prone to warping then Daedalus, my FFG Tannhauser and Novgorod have both warped, but not so bad that they are un-playable.

The oldest versions of Tannhauser have both a TOY and FFG logo on the box, and have the thinest boards.

Thanks for your replies!

I'm gonna buy Tannhäuser at lunch time today (coupled with Wrath of Ashardalon :P) and gonna be sure to buy a box without the TOY logo on it, only FFG.  This game is so awesome that I want the components to be the best quality possible and enjoy the full greatness that is Tannhäuser.

About the revised rules, are the PDF downloadable version up-to-date? What I mean is, do the PDF version is "V2.1" (with erratas, etc) or still "V2"?

Thanks again!

According to the FFG website a new version of the Rule Book is on the way, so you may want to wait, but don't hesitate to get it in the game box if avaiable.

The new rules are just too good to pass up.

Miah999 said:

If you buy a version of Tannhauser without the revised rules you will most likely get a folding board but it may be thinner and more prone to warping then Daedalus, my FFG Tannhauser and Novgorod have both warped, but not so bad that they are un-playable.

The oldest versions of Tannhauser have both a TOY and FFG logo on the box, and have the thinest boards.

So, if I buy the FFG/TOY core box I get semi-cheap the board?

All my local boutiques have the FFG/TOY version of the game, no one can tell or knows when they'll get FFG core boxes.

Maybe I should order it directly on FFG store to be sure I get the "good" board?!?

Well, since this game is really awesome I ordered the english version and the place I bought the game garanteed I'd get the 2010 FFG revised version, not the 2007 one.

Coupled with my new Daedalus, Wolf and Asteros packs, i'll have too much fun in the next few years hahah!

Next step, Novgorod!

Well I received my new Tannhäuser yesterday, great stuff in there! Love opening new games hahah!

The only thing...it looks like the board was folded by a  years old clumsy kid...and I fear one side will rip off everytime I open it, so I'm extremely careful and for now it's ok.  I've got the game including the revised rules but I still got the thin board, well it's thin compared to the Daedalus one.

All in all it's a great product and I love this game!

I should receive the equipment cards, ramirez, hoss, oksana and gorgei in a couple of weeks too, so my Tann collection will be complete, except for Novgorod which i'll buy soon and Yula which is nowhere to be found...