Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Serazu

A few questions

282 posts in this topic

1. Then the first instance is the correct one and whenever a non-Knight character is introduced to play (whether "played" or "put into play") the Queen's Knight returns to my hand, right?

2. Concerning my other question, the one with the shadow character who attaches as a duplicate, this one is not considered a character, but just duplicate, so the Knight stays into play, right?

Serazu said:

1. Then the first instance is the correct one and whenever a non-Knight character is introduced to play (whether "played" or "put into play") the Queen's Knight returns to my hand, right?

2. Concerning my other question, the one with the shadow character who attaches as a duplicate, this one is not considered a character, but just duplicate, so the Knight stays into play, right?

1. Yes.

2. I'm gonna say it depends. For a copy of a unique card with Shadow crest in play, I'll say yes, because, as you said, the rules for Shadow cards state that if you bring a unique card out of Shadows, it "immediately attaches to its copy as a duplicate". If we're talking about the QoD Hatchlings, then I'll say no, because they come into play as themselves and only turn into duplicates via their card text. But perhaps ktom can confirm.

Saturnine said:

2. I'm gonna say it depends. For a copy of a unique card with Shadow crest in play, I'll say yes, because, as you said, the rules for Shadow cards state that if you bring a unique card out of Shadows, it "immediately attaches to its copy as a duplicate". If we're talking about the QoD Hatchlings, then I'll say no, because they come into play as themselves and only turn into duplicates via their card text. But perhaps ktom can confirm.

You obviously refer to the instances where the mature version of the corresponding Dragon is in play, not the same Hatchling. I tend to agree.

Serazu said:

You obviously refer to the instances where the mature version of the corresponding Dragon is in play, not the same Hatchling. I tend to agree.

Yes, indeed.

ktom said:

Make the House card a "Crown." 

Is it possible to add traits to House cards with Copper Link?

What would happen if I give the Raven trait to a House card and then try to activate the Carrion Bird's ability?

Flintacs said:

ktom said:

Make the House card a "Crown." 

What would happen if I give the Raven trait to a House card and then try to activate the Carrion Bird's ability?

House cards cannot be removed from play. Besides, Carrion Bird only affects cards with the printed Raven trait now (see the latest FAQ)

Flintacs said:

(4.10) House Cards
House cards are considered to be "in play,"
and cannot be removed from play for any reason.

So yeah, it is possible to add traits to the House card with Copper Link. It's pretty pointless, though.

1. Concerning "Dragon Fear", its usefulness in forcing my opponent to pick a character with that attachment on it when he loses a military challenge is granted. If I lose a military challenge, may I pick one of my opponent's characters with the Fear attached to satisfy his military claim? The rules state that one of my characters has to pay that price, but does this attachment introduce an exception? I guess not, since it doesn't make much sense and, besides, this way the Fear becomes insanely powerful, but am I correct to consider the effect of such a card applicable in cases where I win a military challenge as a attacker and only then?

2. Does Core Tywin Lannister return any unspent gold tokens on him during the Taxation phase or does he keep them?

Serazu said:

1. Concerning "Dragon Fear", its usefulness in forcing my opponent to pick a character with that attachment on it when he loses a military challenge is granted. If I lose a military challenge, may I pick one of my opponent's characters with the Fear attached to satisfy his military claim? The rules state that one of my characters has to pay that price, but does this attachment introduce an exception? I guess not, since it doesn't make much sense and, besides, this way the Fear becomes insanely powerful, but am I correct to consider the effect of such a card applicable in cases where I win a military challenge as a attacker and only then?
The text on Dragon Fear is:

If there is at least 1 Dragon character in play, attached character must be chosen to satisfy MIL claim, if able.

The important part here is "if able." You are, under normal circumstances, not able to choose an opponent's character to satisfy claim when you lose a military challenge. It is not a valid target. So the "if able" language of the card makes it pretty clear that you are not given "special powers" to do something you would not normally be able to do.

Serazu said:

2. Does Core Tywin Lannister return any unspent gold tokens on him during the Taxation phase or does he keep them?
The rules on the Taxation phase says that your gold pool is empties back into the treasury. The gold on Tywin is not in your gold pool. Therefore, Taxation does nothing to the gold on Tywin - or any other character.

1. "Lannisport Brothel": when its ability is used, the card remains knelt during the next round, correct?

2. "Yunkai": if one non-Dragon character got turned into a Dragon and then, via Yunkai, got Renown and a few Power tokens on it, when that character stops being a Dragon, he retains those tokens, correct?

Serazu said:

1. "Lannisport Brothel": when its ability is used, the card remains knelt during the next round, correct?

2. "Yunkai": if one non-Dragon character got turned into a Dragon and then, via Yunkai, got Renown and a few Power tokens on it, when that character stops being a Dragon, he retains those tokens, correct?

Yes and yes. Renown is only relevant to getting the power on the character. It is not a prerequisite to having power on the character.

Serazu said:

Just to be sure: you can use response of Lannisport Brothel every turn.

Rogue30 said:

Serazu said:

Just to be sure: you can use response of Lannisport Brothel every turn.

Sure, but, once it uses its ability, it stays knelt in the next turn.

Serazu said:

Sure, but, once it uses its ability, it stays knelt in the next turn.

Well, it sounds like you've realized this, but here goes: It stays knelt until next round's standing phase, in which it stands and will be ready to be triggered again that same standing phase. It's really no different from any other card, except there's few cards that are triggered in the standing phase, so just by phase count, it stays knelt longer than most other cards. But it's not special, in any way.

Can I use Jaqen H' ghar's ability on a character who was sent to my opponent's dead pile via Aegon's Hill? I suppose I cannot, since Aegon's Hill does not kill, right?

Correct. It is not being in the dead pile that defines the character as killed. It's how it got there that mattered. Aegon's Hill doesn't kill anything.

Two new questions:

1. Magister Illyrio: What happens if my opponent has no gold to pay? Does he still challenge me or does Illyrio block his challenge?

2. Characters A, B, C and Core Benjen Stark are in play. Characters D, E and F are in the dead piles. Valar is revealed. What happens? I know that Benjen is not saved and that D, E and F are returned to the decks. What about A, B and C? Does Benjen Stark's ability save them? It has to do something with moribund I guess, but can someone answer and be analytical?

Serazu said:

1. Magister Illyrio: What happens if my opponent has no gold to pay? Does he still challenge me or does Illyrio block his challenge?
If I remember correctly, it was ruled by FFG that Illyrio's ability made paying the gold a condition of declaring the challenge. No gold, no challenge.

Serazu said:

2. Characters A, B, C and Core Benjen Stark are in play. Characters D, E and F are in the dead piles. Valar is revealed. What happens? I know that Benjen is not saved and that D, E and F are returned to the decks. What about A, B and C? Does Benjen Stark's ability save them? It has to do something with moribund I guess, but can someone answer and be analytical?
Because of the moribund rules, Benjen Stark and any characters killed by the same effect, will still be on the table when Ben's "shuffle the dead pile into your deck" effect takes place. A, B, and C suffer the same fate as Benjen - they miss his shuffle effect and end up in the newly empty dead pile.

Please note that none of this is "saving." Saving is when a character is targeted to leave play by one effect, and a second effect interrupts and stops it.

1. In the theoretical case there is such a card in the environment: If an attachment with a "cannot be saved" effect is attached on The Red Keep and an effect discards this location from play, which of the two takes precedence: the attachment's ability or the location's? I guess the location's, since the attachment's prevents saving, the Red Keep's text though says nothing about "save", so it avoids discarding and goes into the shadows. Correct?

2. Can Paper Shield cancel the effect of cards such as Guilty, where the influence cost is optional?

Serazu said:

1. In the theoretical case there is such a card in the environment: If an attachment with a "cannot be saved" effect is attached on The Red Keep and an effect discards this location from play, which of the two takes precedence: the attachment's ability or the location's? I guess the location's, since the attachment's prevents saving, the Red Keep's text though says nothing about "save", so it avoids discarding and goes into the shadows. Correct?

Correct. Returning to shadows is in this case not a save. 

Serazu said:

2. Can Paper Shield cancel the effect of cards such as Guilty, where the influence cost is optional?

Paper shield always checks the real circumstances. So if you pay either gold or influence for an effect with variable payment options (like guilty) paper shield can´t cancel the effect.  

Old Ben said:

Serazu said:

Paper shield always checks the real circumstances. So if you pay either gold or influence for an effect with variable payment options (like guilty) paper shield can´t cancel the effect.  

Even if my opponent chose to pay Guilty with Influence?

Serazu said:

Old Ben said:

Serazu said:

Even if my opponent chose to pay Guilty with Influence?

If your opponent choses to pay the cost of guilty with influence you can´t cancel it with paper shield.

You check the requirements like this:: 

Response: Cancel the effects of an event card (+) just played (+)

that does not have a gold (+)

or an influence (-) cost.

(+) = fulfilled 

(-) = not fulfilled 

The "or" indicates that both requirements must be fulfilled. 

Old Ben said:

If your opponent choses to pay the cost of guilty with influence you can´t cancel it with paper shield.

You check the requirements like this:: 

Response: Cancel the effects of an event card (+) just played (+)

that does not have a gold (+)

or an influence (-) cost.

(+) = fulfilled 

(-) = not fulfilled 

The "or" indicates that both requirements must be fulfilled. 

Just making sure I understand - but didn't you mean that "The 'or' indicates that both requirements must NOT be fulfilled."?

So if the event is paid for by either gold or influence, paper shield can't be used.  It doesn't have to be both.  Is this correct?  Or did I completely misunderstand your post?

Bomb said:

So if the event is paid for by either gold or influence, paper shield can't be used.  It doesn't have to be both.  Is this correct?  

It´s correct. Maybe i messed it up a little bit. 

Paper Shield: Pure and simple - you look at the cost that actually was paid to play the event you want to cancel, not at the options the player had to pay the cost. If you kneel the characters, the event did not have an influence cost. If you kneel the influence, it does.

Red Keep question: In your theoretical question, how did you get the attachment on The Red Keep? gui%C3%B1o.gif

Seriously, though, note that "cannot be saved" has nothing to do with the location returning to Shadows. The "cannot be saved" effect limits your options for preventing the card from being forced out of play. The "return to Shadows" thing is applied if the location actually does leave play. So the two have nothing to do with each other. Remember that if an effect discards The Red Keep, it is considered to have been successfully discarded (after not being saved), even though it actually ends up back in Shadows.