Sign in to follow this  
Lord Steel

Orky Ammo

Ok just cam up with a wild Idea. Orks think that if ya paint something a certain color it will have different effects. What happens when we take that concept and apply it to ammo. Here are my thoughts

Red. Red onez iz fasta. Weapon range increased by 25% round up

Blue. Da Blue onez iz Lucky. Damage increased by +1/+2/+3 for Common, Good, and Best Craftmanship

Black. Black iz Ded Killiy. Rightous Fury happens on a 9 or a 10

Yellow. Da Yella onez iz right flash! When trading to other Orks gain +10 on Barter

Green. GREEN IZ BEST! Add any bonus with a +5 to BS

So what ya think?

I really like the "red" rule! But do Orks truly attribute something to other colours as well?

I'd probably suggest alternatives such as "uber 'evy ammo" which weighs twice as much and decreases range by 1/2 whilst inflicting more damage or something like that.

... or that an Ork can just put rocks into the clip of his gun and it will still work, albeit in a somewhat less reliable way. gran_risa.gif

Yep, Orks do attribute things to colours - like red being fasta, and yellow being flash, and stuff like that.

And yep, Orks could load rocks into a gun and they'd work as bullets, if the Ork thought they were bullets.

Hmmmmm that is a good point. May have to look into that as well as Painted guns course the "Upgrades" would need to be done by a mekboy (cause des da onez dat knows da worky gubbinz)

Awesome idea!

In that case, to combine the two suggestions, how about:

• red gun -> flat RoF bonus (for some reason the trigger works way easier now)
  • red bullets -> Storm quality (the projectiles "feed" faster, almost as if jumping into the chamber by themselves)
    ?

Could get ugly fast (heh) when combined ... but might be compensated by having a non-red gun start out with fairly crappy stats.

Oh, the possibilities ...

MILLANDSON said:

Yep, Orks do attribute things to colours - like red being fasta, and yellow being flash, and stuff like that.

And yep, Orks could load rocks into a gun and they'd work as bullets, if the Ork thought they were bullets.

Debateable - the full details, nature and extent of inherent Ork psychokinesis is unknown; the most extreme version of the theory (one of several theories proposed by Genetor Lukas Anzion, few of which are well-regarded by his peers) suggests that Orks can do essentially anything so long as they believe it should work - a plastic bottle, a paper bag and four pipe-cleaners being used as a flamer if taped together in a particular way.

Personally, my preference is that Ork psychokinesis subtly accounts for flaws and imperfections in a device's design - a Shoota is an entirely functional heavy-calibre firearm, just a very poorly-made one, unreliable in the hands of most. An Ork's belief in the weapon's function keeps the gun from jamming or misfiring as frequently. This belief is predicated upon the Ork understanding what the device is for, which is why few of the weapons used primarily by Mekboyz ever work for anyone else - a normal Ork doesn't understand what a Shokk Attak Gun is meant to do, let alone how it should work, and thus its mind cannot get the weapon to function properly, the flaws in its construction simply cause it to fail.

The matter of "Red wunz go fasta" is, IMO, a combination of this and unconscious design variation (something implied by the 3rd Edition Ork Codex) - a Mekboy builds two Trukks, one of which is painted red, the other of which is blue. The red one goes faster, and the only difference the Mek is conscious of is the colour... but the red one is better-constructed in ways the Mek is only unconsciously aware of, hence his decision to paint it red (because, being an Ork, it naturally associates the colour red with speed).

Its an interesting appourch you have there but I perfer to go with Orks simply in large enough numbers can warp reality in limited ways. In much of the Fluff much of Ork tech is widely regarded as it should not work  (like ork life support systems) I mean it makes a lot a sense since Orks do dump a lot of "waste" Waaaaaagh energy at any given time. It explains why Savage orks can get armor saves if they are painted Blue (cause Blue is lucky). I guess at the end of the day I just like the idea that Ork tech works cause they SAY it works and reality goes along with it.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

MILLANDSON said:

Debateable - the full details, nature and extent of inherent Ork psychokinesis is unknown; the most extreme version of the theory (one of several theories proposed by Genetor Lukas Anzion, few of which are well-regarded by his peers) suggests that Orks can do essentially anything so long as they believe it should work - a plastic bottle, a paper bag and four pipe-cleaners being used as a flamer if taped together in a particular way.

Personally, my preference is that Ork psychokinesis subtly accounts for flaws and imperfections in a device's design - a Shoota is an entirely functional heavy-calibre firearm, just a very poorly-made one, unreliable in the hands of most. An Ork's belief in the weapon's function keeps the gun from jamming or misfiring as frequently. This belief is predicated upon the Ork understanding what the device is for, which is why few of the weapons used primarily by Mekboyz ever work for anyone else - a normal Ork doesn't understand what a Shokk Attak Gun is meant to do, let alone how it should work, and thus its mind cannot get the weapon to function properly, the flaws in its construction simply cause it to fail.

The matter of "Red wunz go fasta" is, IMO, a combination of this and unconscious design variation (something implied by the 3rd Edition Ork Codex) - a Mekboy builds two Trukks, one of which is painted red, the other of which is blue. The red one goes faster, and the only difference the Mek is conscious of is the colour... but the red one is better-constructed in ways the Mek is only unconsciously aware of, hence his decision to paint it red (because, being an Ork, it naturally associates the colour red with speed).

I feel the same way about Orky tech. Even items that should not work at least have some sort of rudimentary design to them. Pipe cleaner flamer? No. Leaky flamer with bad wiring & extra nailz (remember, if it don't work it needz mor nailz), fiery death to the umies!

When I was first helping a buddy get into 40k, I gave him half of my Assault on Black Reach box.  He was curious about the orks, and since neither of us had a codex yet, I told him, "Imagine you're an Imperial Guardsman, shooting at an oncoming ork.  He shoots at you continually as he charges in, and you only manage to drop him as he's about five feet away.  In doing so, you run out of ammo for your trusty lasgun.  Seeing another charging ork, you quickly ****** up the fallen ork's slugga and point it at the other ork.  You pull the trigger.  Click. Nothing.  You check the gun.  It's a cardboard box! With a handle and a hole in the end!  The clip has a bunch of crayons in it!  HE WAS JUST SHOOTING YOU WITH THIS GUN, AND HE WAS LOADING CRAYONS!  The new ork back-hands you and picks up that gun you were just holding.  "Glad you killed 'im, ya stinking 'umie, I sure wanted 'is slugga!  It's right killiy!" And shoots you.  With crayons.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

MILLANDSON said:

Both theories have basis in fluff though, so both are valid.

I personally quite like the idea of Orcs being able to use anything they believe as being something (like a gun) as the item they think it is - it makes them a hell of a lot scarier if/when the PCs find this out.

I love the idea of an Ork being able to make weapons Orky just by painting them in the "appropriate" colour, but I would make it a luck of the draw thing to prevent abuse. In essence, an ork would not choose what colour upgrade a weapon is. He chooses the colour upgrade and then applies that upgrade as determined by a roll.

Changing the colour to something that is not appropriate for the weapon makes for not gud gubbin', boss.

N0-1_H3r3 said:

MILLANDSON said:

This. I am very much inclined to agree with it.

Saying that loading their bolters with stones would work is taking it way out of proportions, especially if we're talking about a single ork. Not only is it way out of what is implied by the fluff, but it is unlikely that an ork would even believe that would work - hence there would be no applicable effect.

Edit: Moral of the day; When trading with Orks, paint EVERYTHING yellow.