Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Serazu

A few questions from a beginner

99 posts in this topic

Well here's the thing: when the terror level hits 10, the outskirts is emptied back to the cup. So those monsters won't wind up counting anyway.

Tibs said:

Well here's the thing: when the terror level hits 10, the outskirts is emptied back to the cup. So those monsters won't wind up counting anyway.

Wow, that's great to know! Thx! Anyway, I hope I'll never see a Terror 10 game!

Hello. As a new player I thought I would also add a question that came up in a game recently. We were near the end and about to close the last couple of gates. Two gates  left to two different "other worlds" I entered the other world one turn and another player entered the same other world the turn after I did in case I failed to make it through. I DID manage to leave and close the gate but that left the other player "trapped" in the other world without a gate to return to Arkham.  We assumed that he would be "lost in time and space" but could not find anywhere to say for sure. It's just as possible he would be trapped forever and lost. (Same as devoured)  If anyone can clarify this situation any assistance would be appreciated. Thanks.

You're only Lost in Time and Space when you return from the other world but there are no legal exists. Your friend wasn't LiTaS immediately, and in fact if the game had continued, he might have been saved by the other gate to that world opening up before he had to return.

Unless, of course, he had a Gate Box in his possession. Then any gate is a legal exit.

Julia said:

Serazu, you touched a complex point.
There was a long long discussion some time ago regarding this point, and, IIRC, it was (probably) said that when the terror hits 10, you have to add a doomer to the Doom track and double the monster limit. For this purpose, you should consider all monsters on the board but not those in the Outskirts.

Is it official? I do not remember any such mention in the rules.

Tibs said:

I suppose this is done because the Arkham is overrun and, being overrun, all monsters should be in the city. Right?

And, I guess, the cause of the TL increase to 10 should be irrelevant. What matters is that it's 10, so Arkham is overrun, so monsters should not be on the outskirts. Right?

Forgive me guys, but I 'm still a little bit confused. Let's try and find an answer based on your replies.

1. According to Tibs's post, the exact time when TL reaches 10, all monsters in the Outskirts are returned to the cup. So, the answer to my first question, is that the "in play" monsters are only monsters in the Arkham city and the sky, since, at TL 10, there cannot be monsters at outskirts. Am I grasping it correctly?

2. Similarly to the above, the AO shouldn't awaken. At TL 10 there cannot be monsters at outskirts. Thus, in the example I 've given, there will only be 4 monsters in Arkham, not enough to waken him up. At later rounds though, since the monster limit is lifted, he will almost certainly awaken. So, the answer in my second question should be that the AO does not awaken (yet). Correct?

Sounds right to me. Though, personally, if there was ever an effect that put monsters into the outskirts after the terror level was already 10 (some weird encounter for example), I would count those as being "in play" as well.

I remember back before "too many monsters" was an awakening condition. Once I had the terror level at 10 and 30-something monsters in town. I think we wound up winning.

After a couple more games under my belt, another instance I 've come across in need of further clarification:

I picked an investigator card in the Miscatonic area stating that if I had two or less spells in my possession, then I should acquire a unique item. If I had no spells at the time, could I acquire the unique item? Normally, zero spells fall in the above category, unless having at least one spell was an absolute prerequisite for the effect to take place.

After many months away from Arkham, I recently felt the call once more and played a game vs. Cthulhu. It came down to the last battle where I was equipped with Wither, the Sword of Glory and the Revolver. In the first round of combat I used the spell in one hand and the Sword in the other. Wither's text mentions that, once used, it grants a +3 to rolls till the end of the combat. From the second round onward, I replaced the spell with the revolver for a total of 3 + 4 + 4 extra dice for my rolls. Was I legitimate or did I cheat and should have stuck with the spell and the Sword even if the former was exhausted?

Final Combat has an Upkeep Phase during which the Wither refreshes, so you'd need to re-cast it again to get the +3. Also, Sword of Glory requires 2 hands, can't use Wither (unless you're Marie) alongside it. Even if you were to somehow keep the Wither in play, as soon as you "give up the hand" assigned to it and use the Revolver, you don't get the +3 from Wither anymore.

1. But, isn't Wither's +3 supposed to last till the end of the combat once cast? It says so in the card.

2. It may not have been Sword of Glory then; Enchanted Sword perhaps? It gave +4 and was one-handed - of that I am positive.

3. So, Wither demands that I "dedicate" a hand to it for as long as it benefits the roll, right?

Serazu said:

1. But, isn't Wither's +3 supposed to last till the end of the combat once cast? It says so in the card.

2. It may not have been Sword of Glory then; Enchanted Sword perhaps? It gave +4 and was one-handed - of that I am positive.

3. So, Wither demands that I "dedicate" a hand to it for as long as it benefits the roll, right?

Hi there!

Dam's right! Spells last as long as you devote hands to them. Please crosscheck your question with the "Kevin Wilson official answers" sticky thread on the main page of this very forum!

Ok, but there is still one thing that needs clarification: Dam said that "Final Combat has an Upkeep Phase during which the Wither refreshes, so you'd need to re-cast it again to get the +3". Why should I re-cast it since its duration lasts for the whole combat once I cast it?

Serazu said:

Ok, but there is still one thing that needs clarification: Dam said that "Final Combat has an Upkeep Phase during which the Wither refreshes, so you'd need to re-cast it again to get the +3". Why should I re-cast it since its duration lasts for the whole combat once I cast it?

Ok, let's go with order. Spells last as long as you devote hands to them AND the combat isn't over.

Before final battle, this means: you cast the spell and exhaust the card, regardless of the result of the casting. If you succeed, your spell lasts untile the combat is over, or you stop using it. If you have more than one monster in your location, "combat" means "combat vs one monster", ok? So, the spell doesn't last for the second monster.

During final battle: you cast it and attack the AO. You roll the dice, bla bla. Then the investigator on your left attacks. This means your "attack" is over. If there are no investigators left on your left, the AO attacks. Then the "combat round" is over, and there is a new Upkeep phase. You refresh your items. And spells are required to be cast again.

Hope this clarifies your doubts

So, for a combat that potentially lasts more than one round -such as one with an AO- even spells that add extended benefits, such as "Wither" need to be refreshed and recast each round. Ok, thanks.

Serazu said:

So, for a combat that potentially lasts more than one round -such as one with an AO- even spells that add extended benefits, such as "Wither" need to be refreshed and recast each round. Ok, thanks.

Yeah! Here is the official answer, anyway (emphasys mine):

Type 4: (Spells) "Cast and exhaust to gain +X to Combat checks until the end of this combat."
Examples: Wither, Shrivelling.
A spell that gives a combat bonus like this will last until the end of the combat (i.e. for multiple combat rounds until the combat is over) once you cast it. HOWEVER, you must still devote the proper number of hands to keeping the spell going, or it will end. In any case, the spell is exhausted after casting, so it can only be used to fight one monster each turn.
Also note that in a battle vs. the Ancient One, you will need to recast the spell each attack, since it gets refreshed and ends between attacks.

Another thing I'm not sure anyone caught: Sword of Glory is two-handed. Unless there was some logistic justification (Lambeau), then a single character should not have had both the Sword and anything else equipped.

Tibs said:

Another thing I'm not sure anyone caught: Sword of Glory is two-handed.

Dam did. The OP answered it could have been Enchanted Blade instead

Tibs said:

Wow, I need to get more sleep. Missed that utterly.

Did you... sorpresa.gif

did you... llorando.gif

I mean, did you just actually doubt me corazon_roto.gif ?

another quesion: where can i find the statistics re frequency of different gates in mythos cards?

Threefold answer:

1. People on Boardgame geek go out of their way to count these up.
  2. You could count them yourself, without too much hassle.
  3. It's better, in my opinion, to experience the "frequency" issue on your own, by playing!

But if you'd prefer a hint:

On the base board, there are four "major" hotspots, four low-frequency locations, and three "medium" locations.

Tibs said:

Threefold answer:

1. People on Boardgame geek go out of their way to count these up.
  2. You could count them yourself, without too much hassle.
  3. It's better, in my opinion, to experience the "frequency" issue on your own, by playing!

But if you'd prefer a hint:

On the base board, there are four "major" hotspots, four low-frequency locations, and three "medium" locations.

thanx for help :)

another one: Every investigator has maximum stamina / sanity - is it possible for it to raise above that lvl - for example via location encounter cards or spells?

Hugues said:

You can't have your current above your maximum. A maximum is maximal....

makes sense lol