Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ChinaBlade2

Question: Driven By Shadow entering an empty staging area.

4 posts in this topic

Hi Folks,

I began the Quest phase with an empty Staging Area (I assumed my Old Forest Road Active Location didn't count as being 'in the staging area').

I revealed Driven By Shadow in 'Step 2: Staging' and it gained Surge. As a result of this, I revealed an additional card from the Encounter Deck (East Bight Patrol).

Now that I have an Enemy in the Staging Area, does Driven By Shadow still get to add +1 Threat to the Patrol? Or is the total effect of DBS upon an empty staging area simply to reveal an additional card?

Many Thanks.

Both things happen. You flip Driven By Shadow, it's effect goes off, Each enemy and location currently  in the staging area gets +1 Threat until the end of the phase. Then it checks the empty staging area and then surges.  So when you flip the Patrol it will not get the +1 Threat as it was not currently in the staging area when the first part of Driven By Shadow took effect.

-Edited this once Widowmaker pointed out the currently. Was using the info from the living card database which does not include the word currently. So I checked my actual card.

Yeah if you read DBS you will see that it has that nifty little word "currently" in the text describing who gets the +1 threat (i.e. Each enemy and location currently in the staging area....").  Therefore when it's effect is resolved there are no enemies in the staging area so no one gets the +1 and DBS activates it's surge effect bringing in EBP. They will not get the +! threat since when the card checked for legal targets there were none "currently" in the staging area.

Many Thanks for this clear and speedy help.

I would definitely be unable to play this game without access to these forums - my list of clarifications is getting as long as the Rules themselves!

Very Best Regards.