Sign in to follow this  
Ken on Cape

First expansion speculation

I think the first expansion will have the other 8 investigators from the base Arkham Horror game. I also think one of the new monsters will be vampire. A card in the base game mentions it can be used on zombies and vampires.

So what else you think will be in first expansion?

I just hope they don't go overboard with a bunch of new mechanics and stuff.

They could release a big pack of stories with just a few new cards, tiles, and monsters that fit the stories. New investigators would be welcomed too but not necessary.

I just hope they don't take a 'big box' approach here (at least not often) because they could add so much to the game just by publishing more stories.

I don't know what they're likely to have, but I'd like to see a Ghost monster.  It can't attack or be attacked, but it does extra Horror damage.  Maybe it automatically disappears when players leave the room it's in.  A rat-thing that steals items would be cool too. 

And oh yeah, MORE SCENARIOS. 

Ghost could be used to make Spells more inviting. Right now, my players prefer hand guns over Spells, since they tend to not-hurt-themselves if they fail. Spells, on the other hand, can deal a ton of damage, but kill an investigator too should they fail.

Ghosts, or other ethereal creatures, might only be hurt by "magic", which would be Spells + whatever magic weapons are introduced in Ghost-centered Stories.

But yeah, I want small boxes with Stories. Stories and, potentially, cards. Right now I use every monster type for a single Story. I want to used them more often! ;)

You never know they might release expansions that have components for mulitple games (Arkham horror and mansions) like they did with dragon quest.

It's a good way to keep costs down as the original arkham horror investigators have already ben cast.

Personally I'm hoping for an expansion with one new monster type for each colour, 3 - 4 new adventurers and 4 - 5 stories. Ghost is a really cool idea but I agree the vampire is a likely option.

Would also be cool to see a mummy, bayakee, would love to see leng spiders and elder thing or dark young for a new large monster.

I could go for some ghosts, werewolves, or a fire vampire.  Tcho-tchos would make formidable monsters too.  Or a Shan or two to really make things interesting.  For a lagre monster, I would suggest the God of the Bloody Tongue; that thing is tough as nails! I agree with some new stories and some new room tiles.  And some spells that aren't so dire when you fail.

For me it seems very importnat that the storytelling in the game will be improved. So not only the clues should bring the story forward...

And the paperchase should be improved. Now you are going from room A to B then to C....

So we need a small card-expansion like in the Arkham series and later the big ones....

MasterDinadan said:

I hope they do!

While there will obviously be more of everything coming out, I'm really looking forward to some cool new board tiles: forest/woods, shoreline, store, hospital, hotel, river/creek, urban environments- streets/alley, factory, dock.

I don't really care what specific monsters come out, as long as some do.

Not quite sure how it would work, but perhaps NPCs? Instead of "the police are being stubborn and refuse to help", maybe they actually show up and lend a hand (right at the climactic end battle when all hope seems lost, the entire town police force shows up, busts through the door, guns blazing, and fills the monster with a thousand rounds of lead)!

A new type of puzzle (or two) would be great.

God, please, no vampires, mummies or werewolves ! Lovecraft's stories are partly about the fear of the unknown, these clichés have nothing to do here ...

There are police raids in "The Horror in Red Hook" and "Shadows over Innsmouth", too, so it isn't that uncommon. I would have no problem if something like that would be part of one of the scenarios.

What I would like to see in an expansion would be

- Dark Young, Tcho Tcho, Serpent People, Deep Ones or Ghouls (that regenerate if they damage an investigator)

- exploration cards that spring a zombie or witch on an investigator

- a keeper action card that teleports a Hound of Tindalos to an inside room, like the maniac card (maybe including a sacrifice like the witchcraft card)

- more scenarios

- some exploration cards that raise lore or let you reroll lore checks so spells are a better option

- more investigators

- "You find nothing of interest" cards with at least a little flavour text on them

- a "Betrayal at House on the Hill"-like scenario where all players start as investigators and then an event card turns a random one of them into the keeper

- a spell that lets you move another investigator one or two spaces (maybe only if he is on a space with a monster)

- even more scenarios

I have to agree with much of the speculation.  There will always be room for plenty of new scenarios - as this is the finite part of the game's replayability, and the cards and extra counters to go with them.

I quite fancy the idea that particular narratives would utilise certain characters, but can also appreciate that this limits the ability of players to select their own party.  I also quite like the idea of some of the more 'mainstream' nasties coming in, Byakhee, Ghouls, Elder Things, Great Race of Yith and Deep Ones being possible, but with some of the bigger, fearsome Lovecraftian horrors, like Gugs or Lloigor (perhaps a little too large or conceptual to make an appearance).  Could they do a 'Colour Out of Space!?'

I think that a release schedule like that for Arkham Horror would work very well, with some bigger box releases interspersed with smaller card and scenario releases.  More special effect tokens and rules, as well as MORE PUZZLES (one of the parts of the game my group seem to really enjoy).

I'd like a themed expansion - preferably Innmouth with an 'Escape from Innmouth' feel:

• New board sections with warehouses, docks, submerged caverns, the square, the church of Dagon!
  • New creatures - Deep Ones, Hybrids and despite it not fitting the theme would love to see Dark Young big models!
  • Linked stories so the investigators can play a more campaign style game with each story leading onto the next?
  • Instead of new investigators how about a Mansions varient of the personal stories from AH?

Dunwich would work as well with this I think!

Cheers, Hal

Elbi said:

Police breaking into the house and pumping monsters full of lead doesn't sound very "Cthulhu" to me o_O

Elbi said:

Police breaking into the house and pumping monsters full of lead doesn't sound very "Cthulhu" to me o_O

I was just giving an example of what an NPC might do. And Even if they did include a police raid, it wouldn't be all the time, just for a single scenario, and maybe just for a single plot choice too. Ultimately I was just saying that it's kinda unusual that it's always the PCs checking out the "disturbance" (obviously there'd be no game if they didn't) but it would make sense that at least on occasion there would be somebody else to lend a hand, whether it be the police, the landlord, next door neighbor, etc.

well i agree with all of you. but with new stories should come new tiles, especially for all those custom fan made scenarios that i hope will come. id love t see other world tiles as well. it would be really cool to discover a gate in the basement etc...

MasterDinadan said:

They could release a big pack of stories with just a few new cards, tiles, and monsters that fit the stories. New investigators would be welcomed too but not necessary.

I completely agree. I and my friends love this game, but it really needs more scenarios. I hope thats the focus of the first expansion, really.

MasterDinadan said:

I just hope they don't take a 'big box' approach here (at least not often) because they could add so much to the game just by publishing more stories.

Yes, but I think at least or two big box expansions may be worth it, just to give more tools to construct the stories out of; I think more variance in cards and map pieces from game to game would help give each story it's own "flavor."

Elbi said:

In general you're right, but sometimes Lovecraft's story elements have to be toned down to suit game play, as in Arkham Horror (or even Mansions); there is a lot more action in either of these games than in your typical Lovecraft Story.  On the other hand, I suppose it could be done in a conclusion-to-The-Shadow-Over-Innsmouth sort of way . . .