Sign in to follow this  
pumpkin

Unoffical FAQ (and suggested answers) thread....

HilariousPete said:

radiskull said:

Totally false.  Characters are considered committed to a quest from the moment they are committed until the end of the quest phase.  See the game rulebook, page 14, last paragraph.  Thalin would still ping the enemies in that situation.

Um, this depends on what LEGA meant with "After the 3rd step of quest phase" ;-)

If this "after" means in another phase, e.g. in combat phase, and the progress tokens are placed on 2B because of Legolas' ability, then the new enemies don't get damage by Thalin, because charcters are considered committed only for the remainder of the quest phase.

If LEGA meant in the 3rd step (but just after calculating committed willpower - threat strength) then you're right.

@HilariousPete: I meant just after calculating committed willpower - treat strength and before Travel phase.

Thank you for answers.

I have another question: Here in this unofficial FAQ in 59 said that successful questing is when committed willpower > (more than) treat strength. Is it right? Is if they are equal the quest unsuccessful?

if willpower < threat, than you/the players "quested unsuccessfully", if willpower > threat than "successfully". If there's a tie, FFG didn't create a special name for it. It's neither successfully nor unsuccessfully (see rules p. 14, on the right, there are 3 paragraphs about it).

This could be important for some cards, e.g. Dungeon Jailor (if it's a tie, you're lucky) or Signs of Gollum (if it's a tie, you're unlucky).

HilariousPete said:

if willpower < threat, than you/the players "quested unsuccessfully", if willpower > threat than "successfully". If there's a tie, FFG didn't create a special name for it. It's neither successfully nor unsuccessfully (see rules p. 14, on the right, there are 3 paragraphs about it).

This could be important for some cards, e.g. Dungeon Jailor (if it's a tie, you're lucky) or Signs of Gollum (if it's a tie, you're unlucky).

Thank you. (Asked because of Dungeon Jailor.)

HilariousPete said:

Why is it unlucky when you get a tie in HfG? I'm personally very happy when I achieve this in stage 1B as it means no additional encounter card.

I was referring to the Signs of Gollum, not to The Hunt Begins. If Signs of Gollum is in play and there's a tie in willpower - threat, players can't claim the objective, and this can be bad for 3B, if not everyone (or even none) has a Clue.

HilariousPete said:

I was referring to the Signs of Gollum, not to The Hunt Begins. If Signs of Gollum is in play and there's a tie in willpower - threat, players can't claim the objective, and this can be bad for 3B, if not everyone (or even none) has a Clue.

Ah, ok. As I play on solo mode, I rarely have this problem (but I have trouble with having too many clues flying around). Must be a lot harder to keep those clues in a multiplayer game.

1. Faramir doesn’t commit his own willpower, when we use his action ability, right?
2. Snowbourn Scout can’t place 1 resource token to the quest when he enters play even if there are no locations in the staging area, right? Or he could?
3. Son of Arnor’s response says: “After Son of Arnor enters play, choose an enemy card in the staging area or currently engaged with another player. Engage that enemy.” Is it mean that you can engage enemy or you must do it?
4. Common Cause says: “Exhaust 1 hero you control to choose and ready a different hero.” I can ready the hero of any player?
5. Should I trigger response action in case of using “Sneak Attack”? I.e. to discard 1 Condition attachment if it is a Miner of the Iron Hills? Or I put Landroval into play, hero destroys, I return him back and return Landroval to my hand.
6. Can I use “”Sneak Attack” on Gandalf?
7. What is “topmost attachment” means in response of Erebor Hammersmith? It is attachment that I most want to return, or that is situated higher than other attachments in discard pile?
8. In Thicket of Spears card said that I must use resource from 3 different heroes’ pools to pay for it. 1) Should it be my heroes? 2) Should all 3 heroes be Tactics? 3) Can all 3 heroes be no Tactics?
9. Situation: I have no Leadership heroes but I have a Dwarf hero (i.e. Gimli). Will Brok Ironfest plays if Gimli leaves play?
10. Situation: I use Sneak Attack on Wandering Took, and use Took’s action. Should I return Took to my hand (even he is on other player’s control now)?
11. If I used Wandering Took’s action or Stand and Fight to other player’s ally, and then it leaves play where he should be discarded?
12. Is it possible to use Sneak Attack on some ally and to commit it to a quest? If yes, when it should be done?
13. Can Theodred’s response be used on a hero of other player?

LEGA said:

1. Faramir doesn’t commit his own willpower, when we use his action ability, right?
2. Snowbourn Scout can’t place 1 resource token to the quest when he enters play even if there are no locations in the staging area, right? Or he could?
3. Son of Arnor’s response says: “After Son of Arnor enters play, choose an enemy card in the staging area or currently engaged with another player. Engage that enemy.” Is it mean that you can engage enemy or you must do it?
4. Common Cause says: “Exhaust 1 hero you control to choose and ready a different hero.” I can ready the hero of any player?
5. Should I trigger response action in case of using “Sneak Attack”? I.e. to discard 1 Condition attachment if it is a Miner of the Iron Hills? Or I put Landroval into play, hero destroys, I return him back and return Landroval to my hand.
7. What is “topmost attachment” means in response of Erebor Hammersmith? It is attachment that I most want to return, or that is situated higher than other attachments in discard pile?
8. In Thicket of Spears card said that I must use resource from 3 different heroes’ pools to pay for it. 1) Should it be my heroes? 2) Should all 3 heroes be Tactics? 3) Can all 3 heroes be no Tactics?
9. Situation: I have no Leadership heroes but I have a Dwarf hero (i.e. Gimli). Will Brok Ironfest plays if Gimli leaves play?
10. Situation: I use Sneak Attack on Wandering Took, and use Took’s action. Should I return Took to my hand (even he is on other player’s control now)?
11. If I used Wandering Took’s action or Stand and Fight to other player’s ally, and then it leaves play where he should be discarded?
12. Is it possible to use Sneak Attack on some ally and to commit it to a quest? If yes, when it should be done?

#1: Either of the first two Green windows during the Quest Phase, although to get the least risky use out of him, use him during the second Green window (after encounter deck cards are drawn and revealed).

#2: No.

#3: Responses are always optional.

#4: Any player's.

#5: Sure.

#6: Who else would you use it on gran_risa.gif ?

#7: If your discard pile has (from the bottom up): Ally, Event, Attachment #1, Event, Event, Attachment #2, Ally, you can only bring up Att #2 to your hand.

#8: You have to pay for it with only your heroes and need 3 Tactics heroes to pay for it. Once the Song giving Tactics icon to a hero comes, ToS might be seeing more action.

#9: Yes.

#10: Hmm. I think you would, since it is still in play.

#11: I think that comes under:

"Any time a card leaves play, it reverts to
its owner’s hand, deck, or discard pile (as directed by
the effect forcing the card out of play)." (p. 25)

So whoever had it in their deck originally, still owns the card even if you have temporary control over it, so Stand and Fight ally would go back to whichever discard pile you took it from.

#12: Yes, but have to use it during the first Green window of the Quest phase, that is the only time you can commit characters.

#13: Yes.

LEGA said:

1. Correct. He is not committing to the quest.

2. No, it specifies a location. You cannot place it on the quest.

3. "Response" is optional. You can choose not to activate it. If it was "Forced" however you do not have a choice.

4. Yes, any player. It does not specify it must be your hero.

5. Yes, a card is still considered to have entered play when you use Sneak Attack so you can activate responses. Yes, you can use Landroval's Response while he is in play from Sneak Attack.

6. Yes.

7. It means the one nearest the top of the discard pile. You do not get to choose.

8. It must be all 3 of your heroes and they all must have the Tactics resource icon. You cannot play cards using resources from another player's heros. You cannot pay for a tactics card with resources from a non-Tactics hero.

9. Yes. The response does not specify that it must be a Leadership hero for the effect, so any Dwarf hero will do.

10. Yes, it still returns to your hand. It will not stay in play nor will it go to the other player's hand since you are the owner of the card, even though you don't currently control it.

11. Discarded cards always go to their owner's discard pile, regardless of who currently controls the card.

12. Yes. You would have to play Sneak Attack at the very beginning of the quest phase (it is green, so you can play actions there) BEFORE you commit ANY characters to the quest (since all characters have to be committed simultaneously).

13. Yes, you can use it for any hero committed to a quest.

@Dam and @Svenn: Thank you. Especially for "topmost" word. Because google translator translates it into 2 variants for my language: as the most you want and the highest (as you said).

Hi Folks,

I'm brand new to this game. In the past I was a huge fan of the Decipher LOTR TCG, and I still have all those cards (enjoying them only very occasionally). Recently it's been all Heroscape and Summoner Wars for me. But... then I stumbled across this beauty, and I think I'm about to be HOOKED!

I have not purchased the game yet, but I had the opportunity to play today for the first time (solo, 30 card Leadership deck, against the 1st quest from the core set). It seems to be everything I hoped and dreamed it could be. So, I'm about to take the plunge.

But I have a question from today's game!

During the Questing Phase, if a hero committed to the quest is killed and taken out of play, do I get to count the destroyed hero's willpower toward the quest for that phase? In my example, I had quested with Gloin (who already had 3 wounds), and I pulled a Treachery Card (don't remember which one) that forced me to place an additional wound on all exhausted characters. Gloin was killed, and I mournfully laid him to rest in my discard pile. So, do I get to count his 2 willpower toward the questing for that phase or not? I erred on the side of difficulty, not counting it. However, I didn't feel completely settled about that. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

juicebox said:

Hi Folks,

I'm brand new to this game. In the past I was a huge fan of the Decipher LOTR TCG, and I still have all those cards (enjoying them only very occasionally). Recently it's been all Heroscape and Summoner Wars for me. But... then I stumbled across this beauty, and I think I'm about to be HOOKED!

I have not purchased the game yet, but I had the opportunity to play today for the first time (solo, 30 card Leadership deck, against the 1st quest from the core set). It seems to be everything I hoped and dreamed it could be. So, I'm about to take the plunge.

But I have a question from today's game!

During the Questing Phase, if a hero committed to the quest is killed and taken out of play, do I get to count the destroyed hero's willpower toward the quest for that phase? In my example, I had quested with Gloin (who already had 3 wounds), and I pulled a Treachery Card (don't remember which one) that forced me to place an additional wound on all exhausted characters. Gloin was killed, and I mournfully laid him to rest in my discard pile. So, do I get to count his 2 willpower toward the questing for that phase or not? I erred on the side of difficulty, not counting it. However, I didn't feel completely settled about that. Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

If a character gets killed during the quest, his willpower will not be added.

The questing phase is splitted in three steps:

1) committing characters to the quest

2) staging encounter cards and handle their effects

3) quest resolution

As Gloin died during the staging step, his willpower won't be added during the quest resolution.

stahlwolle said:

Are actions before committing to the quest allowed? I thought not. On p.14 the rules states, that actions can be done after each step.

you can take actions at the end of the planning phase which is immediately before the quest phase.

stahlwolle said:

"We Do Not Sleep" wouldn't work, if I play it at the end of the planning phase. So, how may I use this card?

good point, I suggest you exhaust your characters to commit, and then in the player actions window after revealing the encounter cards, play we do not sleep and ready any rohan characters. either that or you must be able to do player actions before committing, otherwise the card doesn't work. If you look at the turn sequence guide on page 30 of the rule book it says:

"Green - Any player can take actions generally, or between the game steps stated in the rules"

So I think that means that you can take action after the quest phase begins but before committing characters.

In my opinion is work like this:

Quest phase:

1 Resovle all effects : Beginning of the quest phase.

2 Player action.

3 Commit characters to the quest.

4 Staging (reveal encounter cards).

5 Players actions.

6 Resolve quest.

7 Players Actions.

Responses allow in any time of the phase.

Seems like a silly question, but I can't find it spelled out anywhere specifically in the rules...

When a hero is killed, are all of their remaining resource tokens also removed from play at that time along with them?

I would imagine the answer is yes. Just seeking confirmation.

Well, you're right it doesn't say in the rules anywhere, but it does say on page 9 that if the card to which an attachment is attached leaves play, the attachment card is discarded. So by that reason if your hero dies you discard any attachments, so it would stand to reason that the resources in that hero's pool would also be discarded. That's how I play anyway :)

silverhand77 said:

Well, you're right it doesn't say in the rules anywhere, but it does say on page 9 that if the card to which an attachment is attached leaves play, the attachment card is discarded. So by that reason if your hero dies you discard any attachments, so it would stand to reason that the resources in that hero's pool would also be discarded. That's how I play anyway :)

That makes good sense. Thanks for your thoughts.

They probably should create a location card called "LOTR The Cardgame Rulebook".

Text:

Threat level: X (x is the amount of keywords you haven't understood yet)

When revealed: Remove all progress tokens from the current quest

Travel: Exhaust all of your characters with a willpower less than 2 to travel to the LOTR The Cardgame Rulebook.

Response: When the LOTR The Cardgame Rulebook has been explored, search the encounter deck for the Unofficial FAQ - clue card and place it in the staging area.

Glaurung said:

In my opinion is work like this:

Quest phase:

1 Resovle all effects : Beginning of the quest phase.

2 Player action.

3 Commit characters to the quest.

4 Staging (reveal encounter cards).

5 Players actions.

6 Resolve quest.

7 Players Actions.

Responses allow in any time of the phase.

It doesn't work like this. Page 14 states:

This phase is broken into three steps: 1) commit characters, 2) staging,and 3) quest resolution. Players have the opportunity to take actions and play event cards at the end of each step.

There is no possibility to play actions before committing, but the wording of "We Do Not Sleep" states it has to be played before. If it was meant, that characters ready again, it should be written different.

@Glaurung: I think the sequence you've given is FFG's intended sequence (with the small exception of an additional "Player actions" step between your step #3 and #4, according to rulebook p. 14), and if we would send a rules question to them, I'll bet we get that as an answer.

Unfortunately, that's not what FFG has written in the rules. Page 14 only grants actions between steps, not before them, like Stahlwolle pointed out before me.

I've thought sometime about the sentence on p. 30, but if you take it literally, you're not allowed to do actions before committing characters. The sentence Silverhand77 also quoted reads "Any player can take actions generally, or between the game steps stated in the rules."
This "or" has to be an exclusive or, and the "take actions generally" applies to the indented green "Player actions" bars, and the "between the game steps" applies to the non-indented green bars. (If it wouldn't be an exclusive or, the "take actions generally" would allow players to do actions before, while and after a game step, and the "between..." part would be totally superfluous.)

So I think Stahlwolle made a good catch, there's a rule missing, in my opinion. The sentence on p. 14 should read "Players have the opportunity to take actions and play event cards before and at the end of each step", as on some other pages in the book (Combat steps), too. And the green bar on p. 30 is also missing that "before". Otherwise, the new event card wouldn't have any purpose.