Sign in to follow this  
The7thFlame2

$400-$500 Would you buy a collectors edition Arkham Horror Game?? Check out what it would include!!

I just saw a video on WAR of the RINGS collectors edition that cost around $400.

If this was done for Arkham Horror would you spend the money all over again to get:

1 .One massive board with properly connected locations which include Dunwich, Innsmouth, and Kingsport?

(This wouldn't look like the normal map with the expansions above it... but a new map incorporating the other locations and elements)

2. Painted Miniatures for Investigators.

(all currently offered)

3. Painted Monster Miniatures.

(all monsters)

4. Streamlined/Incorporated decks incorporating Goat, King, and Lurker.

5. Hardbound rule book, with silver embossed lettering.

(The rule book would have all the updated FAQ, rules, and new variants for game changing experiences)

6. Metal Clue tokens

7. Stamina and Sanity token upgrade

Embossed/Stamped metal tokens with heart and brain symbols.

Questions:

A .What would you price this at?

B. Would you pay for it?

C. What would you change or add?

Buy everything all over again? Hell no, all I'm missing is Lurker and CotDP now, I wouldn't spend all that money just for the minis or the metal tokens. I can build those things myself over time (already been through one botched attempt at building gate token holders)

And I don't know if it's a good idea for new players. The totality of the mechanics across all expansions, the volume of cards and tokens, would be overwhelming at the beggining.

I do have a question though, where are those minis you talked about? Is FFG producing them?

Tox said:

Buy everything all over again? Hell no, all I'm missing is Lurker and CotDP now, I wouldn't spend all that money just for the minis or the metal tokens. I can build those things myself over time (already been through one botched attempt at building gate token holders)

And I don't know if it's a good idea for new players. The totality of the mechanics across all expansions, the volume of cards and tokens, would be overwhelming at the beggining.

I do have a question though, where are those minis you talked about? Is FFG producing them?

You mean these ?

Or are you talking about the monster minis ?

The7thFlame said:

I just saw a video on WAR of the RINGS collectors edition that cost around $400.

If this was done for Arkham Horror would you spend the money all over again to get:

Hell no.

Hell.

No.

HELL NO!

I love Arkham Horror as a game.  I loved the original 80's version, and FFG's version improves the experience in basically every possible way, but there's no way I would shell out for something so monsterously overdone.  Even if I hadn't bought anything of the basic game, I would still choose to buy the stuff that currently exists over one big "collector's edition."

The current game has some very high quality components (it's one of the reasons I keep coming back to FFG for more games) and a correspondingly high price tag.  It's expensive, but worthwhile.  All this extra chrome might look fancy but there's no way it's worth the extra money.  I mean, not unless you're so rich that you've decided you hate money and are looking for ways to get rid of it.

I'll admit the plastic investigator minis are intriguing.  I might even pick up a few some day.  But they're available separately so their inclusion in a "collector's edition" would not be an incentive to me.  Even if they weren't available separately, they wouldn't be tempting enough to change my mind.

Monster minis hold no appeal for me.  I know a lot of people around here seem to love the idea, but to me the board seems crowded enough with just cardboard tokens.  I can't imagine how cluttered things would be with monster minis floating around, all unstackable and with odd tentacles poking out every which way.  That's just my 2 cents anyway.

I've seen a few inspired peices of bling for AH that I might enjoy having - card racks to organize all the decks, maybe a themed dice tower or two.  All well within the domain of DIY if I ever decide I want them badly enough to get off my duff and do a little legwork.  The glow in the dark Cthulu dice (I think those were FFG's?) are a nice idea.  Again, not incentive enough to buy a collector's edition, but as long as they're available separately I might buy them some day.

volckaert.jelle said:

Tox said:

You mean these ?

Or are you talking about the monster minis ?

Heh, those! Sister Mary looks like a cultist though... And you say there are monster minis too? Although for the same reasons stated by Steve-O, I wouldn't buy those. My AH-related material already takes up two shelves.

There aren't any minis. Mansions of Madness introduced some minis that can be used for Arkham monsters, so there is the potential to make more, but there are a ton of monsters in Arkham.

Tibs said:

There aren't any minis. Mansions of Madness introduced some minis that can be used for Arkham monsters, so there is the potential to make more, but there are a ton of monsters in Arkham.

Oh, Tibs, I noticed you finally passed 3000 posts.  I should have wished you a Happy Postday :')

Tibs said:

Thanks! I didn't know there was a way to check.

I wonder how many posts I made on the previous two forum iterations?

You're welcome :')

No idea.

But it says post number for your most frequently used forum in your profile.  I'm kind of amused you never noticed it.

Would I buy it and pay $400 for it?  Oh, yes, in a heartbeat.

As for what I'd change: no monster minis.  Cool as they would be, monsters all have to be identical pieces for the Monster Cup to be random, and having to draw a monster token from the cup then dig through the box for the matching mini would slow down the game.  Sacrificing gameplay for cool-looking pieces isn't something I want to do.

Vylanis said:

As for what I'd change: no monster minis.  Cool as they would be, monsters all have to be identical pieces for the Monster Cup to be random, and having to draw a monster token from the cup then dig through the box for the matching mini would slow down the game.  Sacrificing gameplay for cool-looking pieces isn't something I want to do.

that's a pseudo-problem. if you draw random investigators with the investigator miniatures, you can still draw from the cards representing them. as you can with the monsters holding their stats. if the miniatures would _replace_ the tokens it could be a problem, but that'd hardly happen (though monster minatures for all monsters in arkham horror + expansions probably will never happen either).

I suspect monster minis would be cost prohibitive, both for players and FFG.

I don't know how many monsters there are over all expansions, but I'm willing to hazard a guess at around 120. Miniatures on the same scale as the investigators would be cool, and work well for witches, zombies, cultists, and stuff like that. When you start to factor in larger miniatures (the shoggoths, cthonians, star spawn, ect...) for higher prices (I'm thinking 8-15$ best case scenario) you're talking spending 800$, dead minimum, on monster minis alone.

Then from FFG's standpoint, you have to make all these things in production, then let them sit around hoping someone buys your star vampire mini so you don't have to eat the production price.

Too rich for my blood. And I suspect most other player's. That's down payment on a cheap car right there, or two month's rent.

MustardTheTroops said:

I suspect monster minis would be cost prohibitive, both for players and FFG.

.... you're talking spending 800$, dead minimum, on monster minis alone.

.... That's down payment on a cheap car right there, or two month's rent.

Two months rent (for an average house) would be over double that around here. I suppose it depends what and where you are renting.

I could live without all the monster minis, they would be too expensive and clutter up the board and maybe detract from the investigator minis.

However maybe a few of the more significant ones would be good, like all the spawn & mask ones. This would make their entry on the board a bigger event than the pile of standard monsters.

Know what I'd like to see?  A Joe Diamond mini that's made from ACTUAL DIAMONDS.  And a Gloria Goldberg mini that's made from real gold.  And a Minh Thi Phan mini that's made from tasty mints. 

avec said:

Know what I'd like to see?  A Joe Diamond mini that's made from ACTUAL DIAMONDS.  And a Gloria Goldberg mini that's made from real gold.  And a Minh Thi Phan mini that's made from tasty mints. 

I'd consider buying the mint one ;')

Avi_dreader said:

avec said:

I would consider eating it and then have to buy another one.

Shub-Niggurath said:

That's one way to get your investigator devoured. =P

I'd likely fork over the money, provided it was quality and well made. But I'd like to see metal investigator sheets (similar to the stuff that Front Porch Classics uses for it's premium games) and then magnetic tokens for sanity, stamina and sliders so that when I bump my sheet I don't have to remember where everything used to go...

Shub-Niggurath said:

Avi_dreader said:

avec said:

Exactly, an excellent way for FFG to sell an addictive product *besides* Arkham ;')

@ Steve-O ::laughter::

Vylanis said:

You could do it like they do in Mansions of Madness: Chits fit inside Sed monster's base.

$400-$500? I'd be amazed if this was offered for that price. In fact, you're pretty much dreaming if you think it could be that cheap.

Full set of investigator miniatures: $200

Base set+ Innsmouth + Kingsport + Dunwich + Miskatonic : $50 each = $250

Black Goat + Pharoah + King + Lurker: $25 each = $100

Ok, so now we're already up over $500, and that's just to include all the different regular products you mentioned. Now you'd need to somehow calculate the cost of all those metal tokens you'd want it to include (all the sanity/stamina and clue tokens at least, but hey why not the money too at this point! And Power tokens, we are including Lurker after all!), the big fancy hardbound rule-book, and maybe or maybe not the monster figures since considering the cost of the set of investigators you may be tacking on a good $200 more just for these.

Really I'm totally on board with an all-inclusive special edition set with all this stuff, but realistically such a thing would be well over $500 given the price off all the components individually, and without any extra bells and whistles.

Now what could be possible, is to release this with all the things you mentioned except the investigator and monster miniatures. If you remove those then we're talking a base price of around $350 for the combination of all the sets rolled into one, then you'd have about $150 worth of price to include the special tokens and things like that. Now that sounds like more of a possibility.

I wonder how big the box would have to be to fit everything

The cost would be to great, possibly a collectors of the original box with maybe mini's of the base AO's

but box space is limited, as it needs to fit on store shelf

nice idea but sadly not practical