Sign in to follow this  
Sky

Initial Impresions

Keep in mind, you can't have multiple copies of Gandalf in play at the same time.  That's less of an issue with Sneak Attack, since you bounce your Ally at the end of a phase, but if you are playing a four player game in which everyone has three Gandalfs, it will come up. 

That's what I mean. It is likely to come up repeatedly throughout the game and maybe set up a major disadvantage for the encounter deck. I hope the folks at FFG have anticipated this and feel it is not an issue. The way this combo seems to play may lead to eventually everyone maxxing it out on their decks.

Sneak Attack + Gandalf helped me win my first game last night.  I had Gandalf in hand, and then used the Mirkwood Mountains ability to pull Sneak Attack out of the top few cards in my deck.  This was the first I'd read the card text, and it was pretty clear that it was an intended combo.  The game seems hard enough that giving the players access to some strong combos seems perfectly fine!

About card sleeves, the first thing that I did was to put the cards into clear sleeves.  I strongly recommend doing the same.  The only problem is, deck protectors are in short supply right now.  I sell the darned things and can't get any new stock right now, probably not for a couple of weeks.

Dang, sorry to hear that you can't get any card sleeves in stock. I hope I have better luck. After all these reports of thin/flimsy cardstock, I am not too eager to play with them without the use of sleeves. And, to be honest, I have never sleeved any card game I have ever played, this will be my first. That's how much this game means to me.

I don't understand why the Gandalf/Sneak Attack combo is being questioned.  The final versions of the cards seem pretty clear.  So everyone just build their Spirit decks splashed with Aragorn now.  gui%C3%B1o.gif

Also, Dwarven Tomb and Stand And Fight.  gran_risa.gif

For your information, the cards in LOTR are not thin, they share the stock with all of our LCG's and are the same thickness as all normal cards on the market. For some reason every individual feels different thicknesses on cards, which is why FFG uses a caliper (measures thickness) to ensure proper quality.

So, these cards are of good quality paper and should be as rigid and durable as any card game on the market.

cP
FFG

spirit said:

I didn't think they were any thinner than Call of Cthulhu cards. 

Yup, though they _are_ thinner than e.g. the Arkham Horror cards. Still, they're definitely thick enough. Also, they look absolutely awesome!

Played the first two scenarios yesterday with 4 players....

I think this game can be very cool in the future when there are more cards coming out. At the moment its rather basic.
If you play it with 4 players i think you should try the third scenario for balance, first one goes to easy and is i think more for two players.
If you play with 50 cards in the future you won't be able to get that fast your good chars on the field as now with 30 cards ofc.

The scenarios i played were fun, but i was kinda disappointed in the fact when were getting to the final stage of a scenario that we can win it to easily. The leadership deck is insane... i believe aragorn is to powerful atm, and faramir is also insane. Yesterday only the leadership player achieved to get to 24 willpower only alone with his leaderschip deck during the quest phase. (thx to event ready all chars in play + faramir ability).

The dwarf deck is rather only based on combat nothing more... so no good in soloplay. can never can get enough willpower with those guys..

Wat im curious is how FFG will do tournaments... anyone has an idea on that? are players need to build there shadow deck to?

Was it not better that the game gets an seperate deck voor shadow deck and encounters, so that when enemys attack the card thats played face down on them always has a shadow effect that triggers, or at least that it improves it because its to much random at the moment. In the first scenario there more locations then shadow cards and creatures... so that i think could be handled differently...

anyway it will still take a while to get an idea how good the game will be. need more cards and more options to build decks. so im curious what FFG will bring out in the future for LOTR.

The Spaniard said:

For your information, the cards in LOTR are not thin, they share the stock with all of our LCG's and are the same thickness as all normal cards on the market. For some reason every individual feels different thicknesses on cards, which is why FFG uses a caliper (measures thickness) to ensure proper quality.

So, these cards are of good quality paper and should be as rigid and durable as any card game on the market.

cP
FFG

I haven't gotten my core set yet( one more day), but in comparing the Invasion cards with a few others from different games, they do feel as though they are made of a more flexible cardstock. Perhaps that is the reason why they feel thinner?  

Ok my turn.

Two things counts for me wen i buy a card game.Is it fun?Is it Lord?This game has  both and from my first game i am totaly happy with the game.

Now lets go to my crazy side.After the 3 first games my friend told me that he likes the game a lot but he miss the competition of other card games give you.My answer was instant.Lets try to make it competitive i said and i saw a smile in his face.

We took our 2 core sets and we chose wich quest we both must complete.After that we took our time and we made our free people decks.We can have the same heroes and allys cause don't forget we play competitive nowlengua.gif.

So the game goes as you play a solo game but me and my friend we use the shadow deck.How?Wen my friend is  playing as a good guy i draw 4 cards and i choose wich one i want to place in the staging area.I keep the other three cards  in my hand and if he choose to engage a creature i can use any of my three cards i have in my hands as the were the hidden shadow cards.If he is engaged with  2 creatures i choose wich shadow effect must be played to harm his heroes as much as i can.

Ok i told you from the begining that this is crazy but it worked well and we had a lot of fun.If you have 2 core sets and you want to do somethink crazy with this game try it its funlengua.gif.

ps:sorry ffg for what i have done to your game but after 6 hours of play and many beers i think you can forgive me sonrojado.gif.

Sky said:

Letrs assume You have all Heroes Ready

Then Troll engages You.

You play Gandalf > 4 wounds. (5HP left)

You declare some lamb as defender (lets assume def 1 hp2) -> death and +3 htreat.

You use Gandalf -> defence overcome and 1 damage done (4HP Left).

You attack with all the party (3 Heroes) -> deal 4 dam -> Troll is dead.

So You killed Troll at sacrifice of Gandalf, I good character, and Your threat at the end of fight is +3.

Not sure this works the way you describe... but my understanding of the game might be wrong.

In the Planning Phase you play Gandalf and deal 4 damage to the troll?

Then in the Encounter Phase you engage the troll

In the Combat Phase you sacrifice a lamb defender to the troll and take some threat OK

Then you attack any maybe kill the troll, attacking with Gandalf and heroes most likely since Gandalf goes away at the end of the round and you might as well get the most bang for your buck.

What I don't get is the "You use Gandalf -> defence overcome and 1 damage done (4HP Left)."  Is this a seperate attack by Gandalf.  Haven't you already used his 4 damage ability when he came into play in the Planning Phase.  I don't believe you can make multiple attacks against the same monster with individual characters making individual attacks... I think they all have to declare their attack on a specific monster at once.

Am I wrong... game is still new.

Wraith428

wraith428 said:

Sky said:

Letrs assume You have all Heroes Ready

Then Troll engages You.

You play Gandalf > 4 wounds. (5HP left)

You declare some lamb as defender (lets assume def 1 hp2) -> death and +3 htreat.

You use Gandalf -> defence overcome and 1 damage done (4HP Left).

You attack with all the party (3 Heroes) -> deal 4 dam -> Troll is dead.

So You killed Troll at sacrifice of Gandalf, I good character, and Your threat at the end of fight is +3.

Not sure this works the way you describe... but my understanding of the game might be wrong.

In the Planning Phase you play Gandalf and deal 4 damage to the troll?

Then in the Encounter Phase you engage the troll

In the Combat Phase you sacrifice a lamb defender to the troll and take some threat OK

Then you attack any maybe kill the troll, attacking with Gandalf and heroes most likely since Gandalf goes away at the end of the round and you might as well get the most bang for your buck.

What I don't get is the "You use Gandalf -> defence overcome and 1 damage done (4HP Left)."  Is this a seperate attack by Gandalf.  Haven't you already used his 4 damage ability when he came into play in the Planning Phase.  I don't believe you can make multiple attacks against the same monster with individual characters making individual attacks... I think they all have to declare their attack on a specific monster at once.

Am I wrong... game is still new.

Wraith428

Gandalf's effect allows you to choose between drawing 3 cards, dealing 4 damage to an enemy, or reducing your threat level by 5, when he enters play. This does not count as an attack. You can then attack with Gandalf as you normally would. Since his attack is 4 and the troll's defense is 3, Gandalf overcomes the troll with one point to spare, which per the rules, counts as one damage on a combatant. This way, you can actually deal 5 damage with Gandalf in one turn.

But how does Gandalf attack on his own?  I didn't this you could attack the same monster multiple times in the Combat phase.

Gandalf comes in does 4 damage.

I believe... tell me I'm wrong... but you only get to attack a monster once in the combat phase... you can attack with multiple character but you're only allowed one attack against the monster.  Thus Gandalf can't attack on his own and then have other monster's attack.

Or are we talking about sneak attack here?

Wraith428

wraith428 said:

But how does Gandalf attack on his own?  I didn't this you could attack the same monster multiple times in the Combat phase.

Gandalf comes in does 4 damage.

I believe... tell me I'm wrong... but you only get to attack a monster once in the combat phase... you can attack with multiple character but you're only allowed one attack against the monster.  Thus Gandalf can't attack on his own and then have other monster's attack.

Or are we talking about sneak attack here?

You can only attack each enemy once during the combat phase, but you don't play Gandalf during the Combat Phase. Except with Sneak Attack, and even then the four damage done by Gandalf is a freebie; doesn't count as an attack at all. 

Well, I got my first legit solo win.  After two wrath stoking losses using the Tactics deck and honest consideration of burning the game like the heathen kings of old, I decided to man up and show some Leadership.  I wouldn't say I took the game to Trouncylvania, but I did ok.  I give a lot of credit to having Steward of Gondor in my opening hand.

An ally made a Noble Sacrifice drawing out a Forest Spider while Uthak scowled from a distance, not yet ready to engage. Gandalf must have heard the screams because he showed up double quick and took Uthak to brown town during the next turn. Theodred walked into a nest of Hummerhorns while choosing which path to take, but the Sons of Arnor avenged him. In the end, Faramir showed up to point out the obvious. Nevertheless, the whole company was glad to see him as they walked out of the forest with a quest overage of 22.  Overall score, 43 threat + Theodred + 2 wounds -Chief Uthak and - Hummerhorns = 44.

qwertyuiop said:

servant of the secret fire said:

ps:sorry ffg for what i have done to your game but after 6 hours of play and many beers i think you can forgive me sonrojado.gif.

If I've said it once I've said it a hundred times.... You don't have any beers.javascript:void(0);/*1303512892488*/

I don't know if this is somehow an English/US joke/sarcasm but i don't understand what you mean.The only thing i can understand from your comment is that you have a very bad taste on music lol.