Sign in to follow this  
Yanma

Help with Kill-Marines and independent Deathwatch marines.

For an upcoming campaign I'm going to be playing a Deathwatch marine in a mixed 40K game. I most likely will not have any support from a kill-team so I'm looking at how to make the most independently functional space marine with a good mix of close-combat ability and skill with guns. It seems like the Kill-Marine path suits this quite well, but any input is  appreciated.

So basically:

*What skills/talents work best with an independent marine focusing on a mix of ranged/melee?

*Is the Kill-Marine path worth it?

*Are there any chapters that would work especially well as a Kill-Marine?

*Are Tactical Marines worth considering if you won't be leading a squad?

Perhaps go with a Black Patched Marine: as they are generally looked with some concern by his fellow Marine, they would be perhaps more a 'suitable' candidate for solo work wiht acolytes; plus thier zeal to proove themselves worthy of the Deathwatch/Special abilites would be hlepful to birng some serious hurt all aorund, all the while not being a Kill--Marine proper.

Braddoc said:

Perhaps go with a Black Patched Marine: as they are generally looked with some concern by his fellow Marine, they would be perhaps more a 'suitable' candidate for solo work wiht acolytes; plus thier zeal to proove themselves worthy of the Deathwatch/Special abilites would be hlepful to birng some serious hurt all aorund, all the while not being a Kill--Marine proper.

Are we talking Black Shields, or is black patch something I've missed? I'm not too familiar with Deathwatch at this point.

Yes; black shields.

Kill marine is totally the way to go for 'solo' characters.

Tactical marines are certainly viable. They're mainly 'shooty' characters like Devs. However the Dev is a bit impractical as a 'solo' character working with an Inquisitor team not only because it's silly to have to carry a huge weapon everywhere, but also because your GM will hate you if you murder everything with a heavy bolter and utterly eclipse the rest of the party in combat. The party might hate you too, come to think of it. Marines are already far better at killing than most other non-marine classes.

I'd go with either Tactical or Assault. Either are good. Assault is probably better, as it'll mean you get to tank for the rest of the party.

Fenrisnorth said:

Currently playing a Kill Marine, Yes, they are made of Win, they have the perfect blend of stealth and social abilities to function in a real world situation.

How often would you say that you use your One Man Kill-team abilities? That's the part that interests me the most.

KILL-MARINE IS THE WAY TO GO......ABOUT SKILLS I BELIEVE THAT ANITHING THAT SUITS YOUR IDEA OF HIS PREVIOUS EXPERIENCES ALTOUGH THE KILL-MARINE SKILLS ARE REPRESENTATIVE OF "LONE-WOLF" KIND OF INDIVIDUALS, IN SPACEMARINE LINGO A "SCOUT"......AS FAR AS CHAPTERS  GO I BELIEVE THAT IN THE SPIRIT OF REPRESENTING A CHAPTER THAT NORMALLY PRODUCES THIS KIND OF INDIVIDUALS THERE´S

THE SPACE WOLVES_ THEY DON´T TRAIN THEIR "CUBS" AS SCOUTS, THE "CUBS" GET RECLUTED OR RECOMENDED FOR THEIR SKILLS AND MIND SET TO THE SCOUT PACKS

THE RAVEN GUARD_THEY´RE ALL ABOUT STEALTH, QUICK THINKING, AND INDEPENDENCY, THERES NO "OFFICIAL" CHAPTER RULES BUT THERE´S A HOME BREWED ONE IN THE FORUMS CHECK IT OUT

BESIDES THOSE TWO I BELIEVE ANYTHING ELSE YOU WANT TO COME UP AS A REASON FOR A BATTLE BROTHER TO BE EXTREMELY PROFICIENT ON HIS OWN IS UP TO YOU AND YOUR IMAGINATION......

P.S. I EXCUSE MYSELF IN ADVANCE TO THOSE WHO MIGHT GET ANNOYED FOR ME WRITING ONLY IN CAPS, BUT I´M A GUY WHO TALKS REALLY LOUD AND I LIKE TO WRITE AS I TALK....NO OFFENSE.....YOU ALL TAKE CARE!!!!!!!!!!

Personally I would say the best kill-marine chapter is at the moment the fan-made Raven Guard since it allows to sneak in power armour  (a skill that was quite common in the 4th Edition of the tabletop and is still represented in 5th Edition through the special abilities of Sicarius and Shrike). Of course, that would need GM approval.