Sign in to follow this  
Replicant253

Black Sepulchre

Considering it has been out a few weeks i have seen very little written about the new Dark Heresy Adventure.  Usually a review or two has been published on these boards for any new book with a active healthy discussion to follow.

I have gone ahead and ordered it so might be able to contribute something once i receive it and read it. 

In the mean time anyone want to give a review.

Hi,

I finally opted for the PDF-file (puchaseable through onlineshops like RPGDriveThru) and "combed over it".

SPOIL-O-RAMA

1) Weaklings and wimps
Due to their afford at "making it useable for all ranks", the stats in the first part are pretty wimpy. Unfortunately, their method of "scaling up" is adding more of the punch or giving them better weapons. But "a fool with a tool is still a fool", as my one-over-one likes to say.  The scaling of the test might be alright, but I think the combat will still need a lot of tinkering by the GM to fit things to his specific group. FFG tried it, but I think they still have to gather a little more experience. Maybe next time. The battle gear the pc get for the storming is a joke as well.

2) Lack of Description
I am missing some details and "background info" here and there. For example, you have no idea about where the manor the pc storm to begin with lies...or how the WHOLE building locks like. I understand the desginers did not want to spend to much time with it since it is not a focal point of the adventure but merely the opening act !WITH!A!BANG!.. but same could be said about House Strophes in PtU ...and a better job was delivered there.

3) Why? That is why!
Something things seem to happen because the plot wants/need is. A priest without an arm, still bleeding to death...but no other wound mentioned. Yes, it points to "the hand" (a daemon weapon similiar to a glove), but the wearer would have needed to be guild before the hand would have gone of...so sayet the fluff of the Hand!
A medi-skull is given to the pc by their Inquisitor. Because a lot of Medic-test will come about. But =I= wasn´t going to know set and it is not like the =I= is giving you a squad of Mono-Task-Skulls "just because you could need THIS ONE".  Especially the battle Titan on autopilot was a little.........meew to me. Are Titans able of auto-piloting themselves? Are they that intelligent as the one in this adventure? Well...perhaps...I do not have a doctor in BattleTitan-ology.  But it reminded me of a certain BattleBrother that was added for the "ain´t it kewl"-moment... and I might have skipped over it, but why is the Titan completely burried within the coastal line? I mean, why did some solid rock formed about him? Is it resting there so long? If so, why did nobody notice in the mean while and kept track of it? It is a friggin battle Titan, after all!

4) Good ol´dungeon crawl
In fact, the thing is a dungeon crawl just like old time. Room-by-room, strowle about, beat up the monster, get the clues, solve the puzzle. If this is good or bad is a decision everyone has to make on their own. But it is not like the pc can be very creative about what they are up to do. It is mainly "beat the monster, get the clue". But it is definitively different from most of the other modules. Expect "Shades of Twilight"...which has a very similiar touch to it.

5) Lack of good maps
The products from FFG and Black Industries used to have maps of very high quality. These are comparable shoddy and lack scale. Size doesn´t matter is a true thing for most RPG scenes..but in case it does me as a GM prefers to have some facts.

My personal judgement: I would not buy it as a book. As a PDF, it is quiet alright (especially since the EURO-USD ratio gives me another huge discount on the price) and GMs looking to give the pc a break from Riddle-Solving and Investigating by hammering them into a dungeon are well advised to take the ride...but not for the book price, tell ya.

Thanks very much for the review Gregorius! Definitely not buying this book. I mean, honestly, what is FFG thinking? 25 bucks for a 72-page dungeon crawl?

Also, thanks for pointing out that it's available in pdf. I just checked the preview file and realised that it was written by Ben Counter. The fact that he also wrote the Grey Knights trilogy (couldn't even finish the first book, it was so terrible) and as far as I remember he is one of the writers of the upcoming Daemon Hunters sourcebook, I now have serious doubts over the that book too.

Anyway, let's hope that the second part of this campaign is much better.

Hi,

generally, I thought about switiching to PDF as long as FFG does nothing to sort out their typos. I know that I am far worse in my posts in this forum (the above is a good example where I wrote "punbch" instead of "bunch" and "guild" instead of "killed") ...but on the other hand, it is neiter my native language not do I charge anything for what I write happy.gif

To say something nice: the Artwork is as good as ever (but I am not into artwork that much) and you have a new planet Gazeteer (Barsapine), but not much information about the major cities their (besides that the people tend to masks themselves, since they are afraid of the sin of pride and cannot gather fame for themselves if their face is hidden....)

And they final learned the trick about "re-printing the stats from the core book for ease of use". This is something they did learn from our feedback and I am glad that they caught up to it.

csabesz said:

I just checked the preview file and realised that it was written by Ben Counter. The fact that he also wrote the Grey Knights trilogy (couldn't even finish the first book, it was so terrible) and as far as I remember he is one of the writers of the upcoming Daemon Hunters sourcebook, I now have serious doubts over the that book too.

Anyway, let's hope that the second part of this campaign is much better.

@Daemonhunter
Well, writing up Equipment & Rules is quiet different to writing adventures. I do not see any bad omens....yet. I do not know about the Greyknight Codex, so. Just that it was seriously critized on Darkreign40k. Let us hope for the best.

@Furhter parts of the Apostasy Gambit
If the PDF of part two shows to be ob better quality (like Damned Cities was in my eyes superior to Tattered Fates) I will get the book as well. But pretty-please FFG: get your spelling right.

Gregorius21778 said:

5) Lack of good maps
The products from FFG and Black Industries used to have maps of very high quality. These are comparable shoddy and lack scale. Size doesn´t matter is a true thing for most RPG scenes..but in case it does me as a GM prefers to have some facts.

Well actually most of the maps used in Dark Heresy adventures (Red Wake in Ascension, Haarlock's Legacy, and others) quickly boil down to: 'the place is a confusing maze of halls, tunnels and chambers, and no reliable maps exist. GMs are encouraged to tailor the map to suit their game and the decisons made by the players" :)