Sign in to follow this  
Toothless_Night_Fury

Reaper Alternative Rules

ALTERNATIVE RULES

If players wish to use any of the rules discussed here, they should make sure that everyone understands and agrees to the rules before the game begins.

MOVING THE REAPER

This alternative rule is for players who prefer more options for moving the Grim Reaper. In addition to the Reaper moving when a player rolls a "1" for his move, Death also moves when a player rolls a "1" at any stage during the game (battle, psychic combat, Spells, etc.). However the Reaper may only move once per turn. (If two players roll a "1" during battle with each other, the attacking player has the option of moving the Reaper first of all!) All other rules governing the Grim Reaper's movement remain in effect.

LANDING ON THE REAPER

Any character who lands on the Grim Reaper's space may choose to encounter the Reaper instead of encountering the space or another character in the space.

FATELESS REAPER

Whenever a player rolls one die and consults the chart on the Grim Reaper card, he may not pay a fate to reroll the die!

Regards,

Elliott.

Edited by talismanamsilat

talismanamsilat said:

FATELESS REAPER

Whenever a player rolls one die and consults the chart on the Grim Reaper card, he may not pay a fate to reroll the die!

Regards,

Elliott.

This is like playing diablo2 hardcore mode, hahah atleast for me it always feels like I roll a 1 against reaper.

I like it:  using fate against death always seemed kinda antithematic to me.  And we always forget to move death, so the necessity of moving him every single time there's a '1' rolled is fun, and easy to remember.  It makes him a much bigger player.  Seeking out death to gamble on sending him elsewhere is a neat idea too, reminiscent of many fairy tales.  We're playing using Death, my version of the Toad King, and soon my version of the Ice Queen too...the world of Talisman becomes much more urgent when it's populated like that.   

I always played that you cant use fate against reaper. Rules says you cant use fate for other than your "own" rolls. For example, you cant use fate to change creatures attack. Therefore you shouldnt be able to change Grim reapers decision over you (the die determines what he choose to do with you)

Agreed... the no-fate rule for the reaper's reaction is a good one.  Then again, we've played that way all along with Strangers, Places, and anything else that isn't a roll for an action taken by the character.

I think we only played once with the Reaper original rule... then, thinking about it, we always played without the choice of using a Fate since it's more thematic with the Reaper imo... It doesn't take you to the world beyond straight away.. you still have a chance by rolling your dice so it was clear that getting one more chance with a Fate wasn't really suitable for us and that card. .. It's the Death, afterall ^^

I also thought about making it more active by putting it in the players cycle and each time all players have played their turn, it moves (the one moving it would be the one with a death token, which he passes to the player to the left after playing the reaper's turn). Never tested though. That idea of "every 1 with a Dice make it moves" sounds cool too.

When I play Talisman with a lot of people, after 30 minutes the Reaper arrives to shorten the game.

We realized that it is funnier this way:

• The reaper doesn't walk on the board, it's like a token.
  • After the 30 minutes, the player in turn take it
  • The player who has the reaper token, at the beggining of his turn roll 1 dice and follow the Reaper effect
  • If the result of the dice is 5, player give the Reaper token to another player of his choice
  • At the end of the turn, if the player has the Reaper gives it to the next player

Does the reaper actually shorten the game?

True, he can grant a boon if you roll high enough, but more often than not, the effect is a setback, and if you die due to a 1, you're even reset to a completely new character.

So apart from the extra time spent on rolling for Death every single turn, the effects also increase the duration of the game, rather than shorten it.

Also, if you roll for death that often, characters with high fate must have their chances to win the game increased.

Ah, that makes the game rather different. And indeed, considering the chance that people can roll a 1, that could make for quite a shorther game.

Do you allow fate to be used when rolling for the Reaper?

Also, doesn't that just turn into a slaughterfest, or do people still actually try to visit the Crown of Command?

Once we used the rule that a 6 on a movement roll also would entitle you to a Reaper move, this also made the Reaper move alot. Not that funny when you lead the game and everyone wants to see you dead though ;D

Last night we changed the rule so whenever you landed on the reaper (and the Toad King) you had to confront it. This makes it really strategic. One character put it on the Portal of Power when a low Crafter tried to enter through the Mines (and ofcourse she got teleported back to Reaper and had to encounter it). That was also a fun twist with Death

Thels said:

Ah, that makes the game rather different. And indeed, considering the chance that people can roll a 1, that could make for quite a shorther game.

Do you allow fate to be used when rolling for the Reaper?

Also, doesn't that just turn into a slaughterfest, or do people still actually try to visit the Crown of Command?

I and my firends don't like to play a game more than 1-2 hours. So it shorten the game like a slaughterfest, but not the fun. Death become like a russian roulette...