Sign in to follow this  
vastrix

Carrier Strength

According to BFK rules, a Launch Bay can carry three squadrons per point of strength. However, I don't see where it says how many points of strength a Launch Bay has. Is it 1 per component? Or something different?

You can find it in Table 1-9 on pg. 35 BFK it lists the Power, Space, Strength and other details under the Landing Bay subsection of the chart. But I will add a secondary question relating to this topic. When I improve a weapon system to best I can choose any two of the upgrades but the landing bays only have the stat of strength so would it make sense to choose two choices of strength for a best quality landing bay?

guest469 said:

"Table 1-5:Lance and Macrobattery Craftsmanship Modifiers" only applies to Lance and Macrobatteries. Other weapons should use Table 1-4.

For the macrobateries and lances for a given quality you need to choose all the modifiers or just as the number of modifiers that the text between the brackets says?

Ex: GOOD(CHOOSE 1)   0 +1 0 +1 -1 +1 +1 The weapon with good craftmanship will get all the modifiers to the relevant categories or as the text in the brackets says you can only choose one of the modifiers?

thor2006 said:

guest469 said:

"Table 1-5:Lance and Macrobattery Craftsmanship Modifiers" only applies to Lance and Macrobatteries. Other weapons should use Table 1-4.

For the macrobateries and lances for a given quality you need to choose all the modifiers or just as the number of modifiers that the text between the brackets says?

Ex: GOOD(CHOOSE 1)   0 +1 0 +1 -1 +1 +1 The weapon with good craftmanship will get all the modifiers to the relevant categories or as the text in the brackets says you can only choose one of the modifiers?

No, you can only chose one, like it says.

MILLANDSON said:

thor2006 said:

guest469 said:

No, you can only chose one, like it says.

In the table 1-5 one of thoose components is the SP modifier. Using your answer the players will never select the added SP so in effect the component SP cost will be the same as the common component.

@thor2006: I think I understand the logic. Maybe, a clarification is needed to say that the SP cost and Morale modifier is mandatory? With the current table, player (well any players) can choose not to increase the SP, so IMO this needs clarification.

I think it is a case of common sense at that point since the SP increase is assumed and b default the morale I do not think a definition is neeed though if others need it it would be welcomed.

Errant said:

Personally, I'm inclined to the assumption that it's the GM that chooses the Modifiers for the component, not the players.

Why would you say that? Wouldn't the characters look for a component that did what they wanted, rather than picking any old "good" quality component?

MILLANDSON said:

Errant said:

Personally, I'm inclined to the assumption that it's the GM that chooses the Modifiers for the component, not the players.

Why would you say that? Wouldn't the characters look for a component that did what they wanted, rather than picking any old "good" quality component?

There's no guarantee that a given high-quality item (of any sort) will be available, particularly not if you're looking for a specific item - it'd be the difference between searching for any best-craftsmanship power sword and the specific one wrought by Artisan Archemetan Zhola a hundred and twenty eight years ago from the sundered armour of the Martyred General Tanathene and which slew the false saint Echar Dorantes. There's no difference, mechanically, but the latter is a single unique item and thus far, far harder to locate and obtain than the former.

I'm of the inclination that many items of quality should not merely be collections of mechanics, but have a unique history and origin all their own. Starship components, given their size and sophistication, should be no different.

thor2006 said:

For carriers what is better as a bridge Fleet Flag Bridge, Bridge of Antiquity or Flight  Command Bridge?

Tricky question. There are actually four bridges that aid flight craft and each one does slightly different things. The regular command bridge gives a +5 to all command checks (including squadrons) in addition to +5 BS. The flight command bridge is only a +5 to command when dealing with fighters (objectively worse than the command bridge's bonus) and without the BS increase - but you do automatically ready all craft (less tests to potentially fail). The Flight Command Bridge would give you a +10 bonus to command checks for craft, in addition to its other bonuses, but it's only available on Battlecruisers and Grandcruisers. The Bridge of Antiquity beats the pants off the Flight Command Bridge for the most part but it's archeotech so that's what you'd expect.

Were I choosing a bridge, it would depend on how many craft I were planning to use. If I were a grand cruiser with six launch bays, I would be sorely tempted to roll with the flight command bridge unless my command check were high enough to not fail the ready roll (because that's a lot of rolls to make when you can fail). If I couldn't fail, I would try and swing a flight command bridge or a bridge of antiquity for its bonus in actual operations. If I only had a couple of launch bays and lots of other guns, I'd would probably go for a regular command bridge.