Sign in to follow this  
JerusalemJones

Chosen Few -- Who all submitted a deck?

Since the submission date is now past, I was curious how many of us submitted a deck list to FFG for the Chosen Few event? What type of deck did you submit? It will be interesting to see which houses and themes we submitted, and then see what was picked.

I submitted a Neutral Deck -Treaty with the South out of Kings Landing Edition. This was a modified version of my Brotherhood deck, and the theme of the deck was using nobles and renown for a power rush deck. The deck played really well in the limitations of the format, and even was successful in regular LCG events. I may post a deck list in the Deckbuilding forum. In addition to some of the best draw/reveal cards from MArtell I ran nobles from all the major houses that had renown, and of course 2 copies of Power of Blood.

It'll be interesting to see what other decks people built.

When they first released information on the competition I thought about submitting a few decks, but the restrictions ultimately turned me off since they wouldn't let me make underplayed stuff like Stark Winter Shadows, Martell House Dayne, and what not.  Having to stay within one cycle (and not being able to use the Stark and Bara expansions) wasn't fun enough for my spare time.  Still looking forward to seeing what people came up with.

I submitted 7 decks, but they might all be terrible.  Still, fun to build them.

Neutral: ATOR, Kings of Winter - Refugees, Winter Marauders, Shadow Stalkers

Bara: KLE, Treaty with Isles - Power Rush

Greyjoy: KLE, Treaty with South - The Red Viper with Kraken Tattoo, Assault of the Kraken, Scouting Vessel

Lanni: DOTN - Wildling stuff, income denial

Martell: ATOR, Kings of Summer - Summer stuff, Reinforcements

Stark: COA - House Umber Berserkers and other kill stuff

Targ: KLE - Aegon's Hill

Gotta say this is one of the most fun "competitions" I've seen. I don't know how many people enjoy deck building as much/more than playing, but I'm definitely one of them.

I submitted deck lists for Targ, Martell, Greyjoy, and (even) Lanni. Good luck to the other competitors!

I'm with Fatmouse on this one. The limitation of the competition turned me off to the point I considered it more hassle than fun.

Good luck to those who participated, though.

I was very interested in this, and then build a neutral NW deck. Well this turned out to be a horrible idea.
I gave up building further decks as i realized how many time that took ( seriously that edition checking was really tiresome) and how utterly disastrous the deck turned out. ( No resource cards was one reason for this lol )  :)

Moneylender said:

I was very interested in this, and then build a neutral NW deck. Well this turned out to be a horrible idea.
I gave up building further decks as i realized how many time that took ( seriously that edition checking was really tiresome) and how utterly disastrous the deck turned out. ( No resource cards was one reason for this lol )  :)

Yeah, trying to build a neutral deck with no Roseroads or Searoads was pretty difficult, to say the least.  I ended up building a Neutral Refugee deck, because I couldn't figure out what else to do with no resources!

I intended to build several decks, but in the end I only had time to build 1.  I titled it  "Winter is Coming..... but Not Yet!"

Stark/Summer build

Penfold said:

Now that is intriguing.

The deck is pretty straightforward.  The A time of Ravens cycle actually has some pretty good stark cards.  I utilize the Northern Infranty, and Northern Calvary Armies along with King Rob from Greyjoy box set.  Jeyne Westerling to get Robb.  Gilly, Samwell and and the agenda for draw.  If Robb is not out, the extra gold helps fund the armies.

Another  card is Court Advisor.  Place that on Core Set Eddard and you have a tricon deadly character.  I'll take deadly intrigue anyday :-).

Hope it gets picked.  I think it will play pretty well.

Yeah I submitted a few. Targ, GJ, and Neutral NW. The resources for neutral was tough, I had to throw in some Weaponsmiths for the income. happy.gif Neutral decks probably won't stand much of a chance in the overall competition because of this. We'll see...

I submitted one deck for each House (including neutral)... possibly the freakiest one was my 'Shadowjoy Special' (GJ Shadow-control with City of Shadows and milling yourself). But thematically I'm most proud of my Targ Rush deck 'Drogo&Dany's Honeymoon'.

And yeah, getting a good resource curve for the neutral deck was tough. 

Also have to agree with Twn2dn on this one, was a really nice challenge! (And yes, I think I'm also one of those people who love deckbuilding, possibly even more than playing)

I submitted 4 decks.

A Targ Dothraki deck running the weapons and OOH Alchemists Shop

A Standard Lannister Shadows deck.

A neutral Holy Brotherhood deck running the streets, crossroads, and dorne for resources.

And a martell deck using Coldhands to play a taste for blood on.

Does anyone else think that the seasons cycle was arguably the "best" (most competitive) cycle to choose, even if not the most creative/fun? For Greyjoy I thought it was a no-brainer, but even for Targ and Martell I felt like it was the obvious choice.

I think the main reasons were that this block has both refugees and carrion birds. With fewer carrion birds in the environment, your seasons agenda will likely go off without a hitch. Meanwhile, the speed of the refugees + carrion birds makes for very fast setups and effective use of Blockade.

For Bara and Lanni, seasons offered a lot less (I felt), but I still don't think it would have been a bad choice....

I completely agree - A Time of Ravens dominated my decks. Incidentally, I really loved this format - restrictions like this are my bread and butter. I love working within frameworks and constraints - just seems to be very much my style. Here's what I submitted (in words):

Targ - Summer - Some burninating, huge gold curve, lots of cheap characters and some dragons

Neutral - Summer (gets the extra gold) - All refugees, plus all recruits - totals 42 characters of cost 1 or less

Martell - Just a very standard Martell deck with King's Landing cards in it. Venomous Blade, Rumors of War, Hand's Judgement, and He Calls it Thinking all see play. This was the most standard-capable of my decks, although the Targ one can beat it without too much difficulty (the Targ one just doesn't win vs other standard decks, whereas this one has a really good shot). I used The Power of Arms + Rumors of War for a huge boost to any character - 5 strength and a military icon = Arianne the Beast-monster. Can also give an Orphan something to do before he gets the ol' discard.

And for my coup de Senf:

Greyjoy - Knights of the Hollow Hill - Probably the most surprising deck you could face in a real tournament, in my opinion, this deck is built on heavy ocean-faring vessels, some raiders, some saves, and a healthy number of war crests + Power of Arms. Iron Victory, Scouting Vessel, Refurbished Hulk, Silence all x3, with Ambitious Oarsman coming out for make other raiders much, much, much cheaper. I also used Driftwood Crown to add a war crest (or any icon) to various people. I've discussed a deck like this in the forums before, but this one just came together so smoothly, and to me, that was kind of strange due to the fact that the restrictions were so fierce. Wendamyr, Iron Mines, and Risen from the Sea all x3 mean that it can last, usually, through the first turn, even being down several characters due to the no setup phase.

I thought the contest was a really great idea.  Not sure why some of the folks here mention it was "difficult" to try to sort through all the cards given the restrictions - I found "cardgamedb.com" made it really easy to sort out/filter the cards and help me with my cycle choices...

Anyway, I ended up submitting two decks:

"Pure Stark (Military Battle)" - using the Clash of Arms cycle.  Zero OOH cards to maximize Bear Island, Winterfell Castle, cost reducers, etc.  Lots of "military battle" plot cards - and cards that "feed" off of them (e.g. Dacey, To Be a Wolf).  Large amounts of "kill", "save", and "stand" built in.

"Dothraki of the Hollow Hill" - using the Brotherhood cycle and, of course, the Knights of the Hollow Hill agenda.  No dragons, no Daenerys - just lots of Dothraki.  Had some burn, ambush (using the agenda's benefit, of course), and a good amount of kill (Valar M, Westeros Bleeds) and draw.  Ran Alchemists Shop OOH to captialize on all the Dothraki weapons.  Lots of attachments, too... Might be too clunky, and not sure if the lack of "Setup" can be overcome, but the deck sure did LOOK cool...

Had a Bara "Asshai" deck in the works using the "Brotherhood" cycle, but really couldn't get it to come together the way I wanted - felt the "Asshai" theme just really couldn't pay off given the cycle restrictions and I wanted to focus my time on the two decks above...

Good luck to everyone!

Did anyone come up with any cool or creative Lanni decks?  I felt like the in-house options were:

COA: Castellan hyper-kneel, ATOR: nothing, KLE: shadows-kneel, DOTN: nothing, BWB: Clansmen.  Those all sounded boring.

In the end my Lanni Wilding deck ended up being more neutral than anything...

jmccarthy said:

Did anyone come up with any cool or creative Lanni decks?  I felt like the in-house options were:

COA: Castellan hyper-kneel, ATOR: nothing, KLE: shadows-kneel, DOTN: nothing, BWB: Clansmen.  Those all sounded boring.

In the end my Lanni Wilding deck ended up being more neutral than anything...

I had a clansman deck built, but it was just crap and not even particularly Nedly. Just couldn't get it to work at all, not unlike in standard play.

Darksbane said:

A neutral Holy Brotherhood deck running the streets, crossroads, and dorne for resources.

Why didn't you use the chambers? They would be cheaper than the crossroads and more versatile if you were facing a deck you thought might have location destruction (such that it is).

Penfold said:

Darksbane said:

Why didn't you use the chambers? They would be cheaper than the crossroads and more versatile if you were facing a deck you thought might have location destruction (such that it is).

Wouldn't running the Chambers out-of-house cost you 3 each?  Or am I missing something?

Neutral House reduces the OOH cost by 1 so I was wrong when I said they would have been cheaper for actual putting into play, but essentially they are the same stats with the added flexibility of possibly being attachments.

Penfold said:

Neutral House reduces the OOH cost by 1 so I was wrong when I said they would have been cheaper for actual putting into play, but essentially they are the same stats with the added flexibility of possibly being attachments.

It's worse than that.

Neutral Faction