Sign in to follow this  
Battle_Sister_Huber

Questions and confusion

hello all ive posted a few times on the dark heresy forums this is my 1st time here so hey

anyways im a girl player who loves the adepta sororita and recently my friend began running a death watch game in our local university gameing society at 1st i didnt wanna join in because well id not much interest in playing the game im more of a heresy fan 

but my friend had massive problems with the fact that his group which started at 4 quickly wickled down too 2 and 1 occasional so i decided id join in ta help out 

too which i made a sororita for death watch useing the guidelines which FFG give in general and blood of the martyr 

on power wise we were a lil bit worried but it wasnt an issue tbh which youd come too expect the sororita pretty much being the female version of the marines 

in fact power wise we found i did less ranged damage way more melee especially when faith powered up, also haveing influcnce etc and tons of talents meant in many ways i was a bit more powerful but it balanced out and id pretty much the same higher armour etc but less wounds example of the balance

however an issue has arisen and im not quite sure what too do about it namely the 3 marines have pretty much turned on my battle sister for no real reason and are constantly threatening her which is putting me in a tough spot because a battle sister wouldnt tolerate that 

but at the same time all 3 of the marines are at it at the same time 

heres the reasons why

the storm warden is takeing the attitude that im ordo hereticus and not ordo xenos and thus am an enemy, whom he wont cooperate with and is constantly threatening

the dark angel is takeing an attitude of (even though he is meant too be deathwatch) im a dark angel your inquistion related i hate the inquistion, 

finally the libarian is takeing the attitude of that because he is a libarian and a marine that he is a god and hates all who arent marines

however all 3 are takeing an attitude of that they hate anyone who is not a space marine even a sororita (note as a sister i could be playing that i hate the libarian for being a psyker but am not as im assuming the 2 types of psyker a sister would like would be an inquistitor and or a librarian 

anyway the main point is this is putting me in a very uncomfortable spot and so id like some advice on what you guys think i should do but also too my knowledge i know not all chapters accept the emperors become a god but all venerate him and space  marines are meant too be honourable heroic and loyal too the emperium 

or am i wrong, ive been talking too the gm because in my opionon marines saying they hate the imperium and insulting man kind and hateing the human race and hateing the inquistion and hateing threatining a battle sister just because shes not a adeptus astarte, and well in general hateing anyone who isnt an astarte including loyal imperials and believing there gods and the pysker believing he is a god for being a psyker marine 

shouldnt they be gaining corruption for such renegade ways of thinking and behaveing?????

a quote from the marines on tuesday too my charcter for example was this

marine "shut up monkey your a monkey a thing merely a human being a pathetic plaything"

my sister "i was merely suggesteing a possible stragedy"

other marine "one of my brothers told you too shut up do so or we will all kill you and 3 on 1 arent very good odds no matter how good you think your faith powers are"

my sister "and you dont think the ordo hereticus or my fellow sisters wouldnt have somthing too say about that??"

3rd marine "no because we will merely rid you with bolter fire and claim you died in battle"

now bar my sheer discomfort in a game i didnt want too play and only joined too help the gm cause he is my best friend aside, you can see why my situation is very uncomfy and i dont know what too do about it because i cant see a battle sister takeing that and not trying too purge them but at same time knowing faith powers aside id probably die, or if she ws being smart wait and report them too the ordo herecticus and then bring her fellow sisters in at least equal number too deal with them

but is it just me or are they or are they not acting like chaos marines not space marines????

It's a game. If you're not having fun, leave.

It sounds like the other players are being bullying arseholes. Walk away. It is their loss.

I understand that you might feel you are letting a friend down, but it really isn't working out. Time to call it a day. 

Battle_Sister_Huber said:

the storm warden is takeing the attitude that im ordo hereticus and not ordo xenos and thus am an enemy, whom he wont cooperate with and is constantly threatening

the dark angel is takeing an attitude of (even though he is meant too be deathwatch) im a dark angel your inquistion related i hate the inquistion, 

finally the libarian is takeing the attitude of that because he is a libarian and a marine that he is a god and hates all who arent marines

Ask the GM in private for your character to wear a wire, and hand the tape over to the Inquistion so that they get busted back to their Chapters for being jerks? gran_risa.gif

It sounds like they're acting like jerks, and basically finding excuses. There's three of them and you're 'different', so you're getting picked on. I don't even think that they're doing it for good roleplaying reasons, because they're clearly not. Storm Wardens don't have 'Enemy: Ordo Hereticus'. He has no reason to work against you or to dislike you, aside from the ones that he's justified in his head.

If the Dark Angel hates the Inquitiion, then he has no place in Deathwatch. As GM, I'd send you all on a mission with an Inquisitor. See if he's mouthy then. If not, then he's a coward because he's not taking the same attitude with someone who is more powerful. If so, then the character can get sent 'home', because the Deathwatch is part and parcel of the Inquisition and has to work with them. I'd make sure I'd give him a humiliating dressing-down from the inqusitor first. See how he likes it.

As I said: This doesn't sound like it's really anything to do with in-game stuff. It sounds like it's about three immature boys picking on a girl. Talk to the GM about it in private, and see how sympathetic he is. Point out that what they are doing is bad roleplaying as an excuse to act like bullies, and as a result, you aren't enjoying the game.

If things don't change and you genuinely don't enjoy the game, don't be afraid to walk away. It won't be your fault. If you 'ruin' the game for them by leaving, it's their fault. If you 'ruin' if for the GM, then it's his fault for not controlling the other three.

Games are supposed to be fun. If it stops being fun, then go and do something more enjoyable, or find a more mature group of players.

To be honest, even though this is a game, some of that stuff sounded very abusive and scary. It's similar to language often used in much more serious altercations.

It sounds like those folks aren't any fun to play with, and are probably more than a little unpleasant as people in general. I say get out of the group as soon as you can, I wouldn't want to be around people who thought that kind of behavior was acceptable.

If the GM is your friend, just explain the situation to him and he'll understand. If he doesn't, he's as dense as the others. And ask him why he didn't stick up for you.

thanks very much guys for your posts

yeah the main reason i had'nt already left was because of my friend 

yes "at last forgot" its a very awkward situation too be in 

and "siranui" thank you i was already considering something simular too your suggestion about saying too the GM about reporting them too the inquisition and if he was'nt up for that just walking from the group, my thoughts on it was as a battle sister palantine a throne agent of the ordo hereticus reporting them too the ordo hereticus and my fellow sisters and letting the GM decide how they were punished for there behaviour, or if the GM wouldnt do so just walking from the game.

i think your right on them just picking on me/my character for being different, and thank you for agreeing with me that they arent even doing so for in game in character good character reasons, because a marine especially a deathwatch one wouldnt behave in such a manner, also i must say you sound like a very good GM, you have an informed knowing of the 40k universe and a nice sense of fairness

and thanks for the support "fresnel and balodek" :)

takeing your words on ill have a word with the groups GM over the weekend if no joy then ill just walk from that group

If that should be roleplaying then they are for sure playing traitor marines.
As I understand the adeptus astartes most chapters would execute a battlebrother who voices such heresy because few things are more dangerous than a marine gone bad.

AlexFrost said:

When the GM added your character to the kill team, how did he do it?
Maybe the GM can use their captain to tell them they must respect the Adeptus Soritas

That would be ok if this was strictly an in-game issue. Sadly, it seems that it's really an out-of-game issue, so really deserves to be dealt with out-of-game.

Siranui said:

AlexFrost said:
When the GM added your character to the kill team, how did he do it?
Maybe the GM can use their captain to tell them they must respect the Adeptus Soritas
That would be ok if this was strictly an in-game issue. Sadly, it seems that it's really an out-of-game issue, so really deserves to be dealt with out-of-game.

I agree 100%.

There are good and valid reasons for the Astartes to dislike and mistrust both Hereticus Inquisitors and the Sororita, but what has been described by the OP is not roleplaying, it is just plain bullying.

I doubt I can add anything that most people have already said, but being a female gamer myself I'd like to show some support.

Judging from what I've read I agree completely that this type of behavior goes will beyond any in-game issue. I understand that people sometimes want to play abrasive characters and that is totally their right - but they need to understand that there is a fine, fine line between roleplaying an ass and actually being one. If you're feeling uncomfortable with the group then by all means you should speak with your friend. As GM he should have some control over the way his other players portray their marines. Creative license aside, their are simply types of behaviors that even an Astartes would be censored for; and calling a Sororitas a monkey is one of them. I got yelled at once in my group for calling a Tech-Priest a cog-boy (all ic mind, but it was funny).

Should you notice not improvement though I would advise walking. You shouldn't need to deal with that type of mean spirited behavior during a game.

As a player I find this behavior appalling, as a GM I would have stopped the game to ream those three out. The Librarian is a hair's breadth from falling to chaos with that attitude. Sod running to the Inquisitors, talk to the Watch Commander about that behavior, assuming it is all in game. However, like so many of my peers here, I have a feeling this is not a purely IC occurrence. For some reason, roleplaying always seems to draw two types of people. The creepy guys who will stare at the girl player like they have never seen a breast before, and blatantly mysogynistic asshats who think it is "a man's territory"

Please accept my apologies on their behalf. I have both types in my local gaming group, and I have to rein them in/ make apologies on a regular basis for them. I assure you this is not indicative of roleplayers, or Deathwatch games/gamers at all.

Pro Imperator.

I can think of plenty of in-character reasons for Marines to dislike or distrust humans, sororitas, etc.  However good roleplayers with complicated and controversial character backgrounds and personalities know not to execute on their character quirks at the detriment of the game. I know it's a rehash of what other people have posted, but good lord I grow tired of people disrupting a game or picking on a player and then using the excuse 'what, I was just playing my character.'

The jerks can be jerks aside, if you've got the gumption, consider asking the group at large what the problem is (easier said than done in many cases I know- make the GM do it if you're not comfortable with it).  Bullying is often driven by the group at large, and with guys it can simply be a natural attempt to be alpha male.  Sometimes all it takes is saying 'hey, *******, your in character BS is making the game totally un-fun for me, what gives?' to break the spell of the hive mind- usually it'll result in an argument as the offender goes into defensive mode, but if they're halfway decent guys after tempers have cooled they'll realize that picking on other players/characters isn't really that great.  Other times, well...jerks can be jerks, and you may be way happier in your Heresy game...

wow once again thanks guys for all the support, and yeah charamander i dont have this problem in the heresy game because in it like in any good RPG group weve all made our characters too get along, or worked out ways where they would do so

and thanks siranna yeah it seems like walking from the group may be my best option but im gonna chat with the GM 1st and see if he is willing too do anything about it in game if not then ill walk and if he does and it still continues then its def an outa game issue and in that case ill def walk

i also thank both charamander and harlokin for your support and yeah it does indeed seem just like bullying, it was the fact that ive never played with these people before i couldnt figure out why, however i think youve all hit the nail on the head there assholes, but also where as i could imagine reasons for a marine not likeing the inquisition etc i agree with what siranui said then they wouldnt be chosen for the deathwatch

and too answer "alex frosts" question i joined just cause they were struggling with numbers and wanted too help out my friend whos GMing, but how he brought my character in is that in the story there playing there hunting down alpha legion chaos marines and a necron cult before there imperium knows what the necrons are and th exact nature of my character's presence in the group was because of the chaos marines and cultists meaning it was both a hereticus and xenos matter and fear it wasnt xenos was damons and heretics and or worse yet deamon worshipping xenos and so the inquisition had decided too send in a battle sister with the marines just in case 

thats another odd thing about it all my sisters gear and abilities have proven invaluable and really helped them out so not only are they being asses but stupid also 

examples 3 times my passion power saved the party bye getting us great dodges and going 1st, and my warded armour meant when we faced guys with wrath blade's being warp weapons i actually had armour and could hold them up in melee 

this is another aspect of there behaviour i cannot even understand because as said i only joined too help out a friend an made my character utterly too help the group, theyd no assault marine, so knowing how good sisters with the right faith powers can be in melee i made a utterly melee focused sister, i deliberatly got my fel up so i could buff them all with powers, and chose mostly powers that would effect and help them the only 2 powers i have that dont are hand of the emperor and the blessed blade, i even took the palantine trait miracle worker so as too be more helpful

and thank's umbranus for agreeing with me that they are indeed acting like chaos marines not loyal astartes i mean one of them even said the following when my sister meet and was trying too get on with him

"dont talk too me animal your but a mere woman a human being, i hate humanity for it is weak humans are merely animals too be kept as pets" my reaction was too be utterly stunned as a player, i even turned too him and said "umm i dont think a space marine would say such a thing marines are meant too be the super solider and sisters the paladin exemplars of humanity, i dont think a marine would ever say such a thing unless he had turned too chaos" he went on out of character justifying his behaviour saying his demeanour was arrogance i said in reply too that that was not arrogance that was insanity, i then thought on it and decided it he wasnt worth argueing with some guy i didnt know

and so i merely said to him in character with a curious and suspicious expression "so you hate humanity the divine form given bye the god emperor???" he said in character "yes and the imperium for all its weakness i am a god and only fellow god battle brothers even deserve too live" i said "so you also hate the imperium??? then why are you here???" (note repressing what my characters actual battle sister response should have been which was too smite the heretic, but bye this point feeling extremely uncomfy in the group already his reply in character was "i dunno im just here for the fun of killing things"

too which i then said out of character "ok your character def sounds like a chaos marine"

and thats pretty much what ive been dealing with for the 3 sessions with this group, as stated ive else wise never played with them before and am pretty much not impressed too say the least

ahh thank you very much fenrisnorth happy.gif

and i know that the guys in that bad group arent reflective of gamers over all in fact that is why i am shocked at there behaviour 

im in many gaming groups myself 3 in total and this is the 1st time i have ever encountered such behaviour 

i know that in truth most of us gamers are lovely people who just wanna have fun and use enjoy our imaginations 

its why i asked advice as i have never encountered behaviour like this before 

even if there was realistic character reasons in any other gaming group ive ever been in people would make there characters maybe not exactly too get on but too at least work together 

a good example is my main dark heresy group 

we have my battle sister Aalina huber, who has the back round schola progenium and slaughtered bye hereitics however her mother and father were but humble adepts and thus she has an appreciation of any loyal servant of the emperor

my co players are

a confessor of pure faith, a puritan priest and a adept, as you can imagine we made our characters too get along and they do so wonderfully

so well in fact our GM is considering giving us the eccelsiarchy cell group rules 

in game we interact very well the adept does all the knowledge based stuff, and tech use with me, the confessor does all the investigation of a searching manner and interactive form

the priest does all are charming and positive coercing people etc, and my sister does all the fighting and intimidating, 

so as you can see we work very well together

and thats the kind of thing i have come too expect in gaming groups 

so this uni group is really shocking as ive never encountered behaviour like this before

Fenrisnorth said:

The creepy guys who will stare at the girl player like they have never seen a breast before.

That's because they almost certainly haven't, and if they keep the attitude up; almost certainly never will! Most guys grow out of the idea of getting a girl's attention by pulling their hair and teasing them around age 7. Some don't.

As the GM, I'd be handing out literally handfuls of Corruption points to the marines. Sure: Marines normally pick up corruption by exposure to Chaos, but Chaos-worshippers get it for being corrupt, un-human monsters. Which is what these guys are doing. 

I do hate it when people role-play space marines as big dumb jocks. Space marines are genetically enhanced to be smarter on average as well as stronger and tougher. I know smart people can be jerks too, but I would expect space marines to behave better. It's not the game, those players are just jerks.

What upsets me the most is the fact that the players are allowerd to play their characters in that way. A space marine who utters things like "I hate the Imperium and mankind, but I'm here for the killing" would not be allowed to continue his service, let alone be seconded to the Deathwatch.

I'm sure your GM friend is a fine lad, but honestly, he should have intervened the first time such bull came up ingame by at least pointing out that phrases like that would either lead a space marine to chaos (if he would be subtle enough to keep his ideas to himself) or to lobotomization by his own chapter (because a marine who loathes mankind and just takes joy in slaughter would be regarded as highly in danger of falling to chaos).

Definintely it is past time for the GM to hand out Corruption points.  And since this is going on for so long he should hand out 5 or 10 right off the bat for each one.  After they get to a certain point, he takes the characters and makes them NPCs since they have gone too far in the evil zone.  Then, if these players want to continue playing, the GM needs to address the issues.  If they can roleplay more like marines should, let them roll up new characters.  Then to add salt to the wound, the new DW characters have to hunt down the old corrupt ones.

That is what I would do anyway. You are a good friend for putting up with this nonsense, but your friend (GM) needs to get some balls and punish bad behavior or it wont change.

Arkhan said:

What upsets me the most is the fact that the players are allowerd to play their characters in that way. A space marine who utters things like "I hate the Imperium and mankind, but I'm here for the killing" would not be allowed to continue his service, let alone be seconded to the Deathwatch.

I'm sure your GM friend is a fine lad, but honestly, he should have intervened the first time such bull came up ingame by at least pointing out that phrases like that would either lead a space marine to chaos (if he would be subtle enough to keep his ideas to himself) or to lobotomization by his own chapter (because a marine who loathes mankind and just takes joy in slaughter would be regarded as highly in danger of falling to chaos).

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! KHORNE KARES NOT FROM WHENCE THE BLOOD FLOWS!

I would even give that player "gifts" as Khorne bestows his favor on him, by the end of the session he has USx3, Frenzy, a Chain Axe with the Warp Quality, and I collect his character sheet as he is either put down when he gets back to the watch station, or runs off to join the Khornate Circus!

I'm co-running a game at the moment and my group of 6 are awsome with our 1 sister. In fact when an NPC said she was a sister the apocothry said 'she's death watch' in fact theonly major things that have come up was the same medic asking if would accidently kill the sister if he gave her SM drugs!

I have made it very clear from the start that infighting will net a loss of renown and extreme acts of infighting will net cohesion damage for the squad. A;lso their current watch captain  has siad that she should be treated as a marine in all counts both in her responsibilities and how she should be treated.

Our sister has been built as a Dark Angel Devastator (for meta game fairness) and has she her self said that she will not be in charge as SMs wouldn't take orders from a sister, one player has however said that if she is good enough for death watch then in his characters opinion she is good enough to lead!

I think a lot of how people percive marines says alot about how they play them. I see them as heros from legend, some people i guess see them as bullies.

My suggestion is get a new gaming group.