Sign in to follow this  
winger2

Another Painting Minis Thread...Sort Of

This is mainly for the people who don't think they're artistic enough to paint their own figures. You are wrong! You can do it and I am living proof.  I'm probably the least artistic person I know but I got tired of all my figures looking the same dull gray, and tired of my son and I constantly moving the wrong guy.

There was no way I was going to pay a small fortune for someone else to paint them so I took the plunge and decided to do them on my own. Knowing next to nothing about how to do it. I searched the internet, got some ideas, and got at it.  I won't lie and say it went completely smooth. I made some mistakes here and there. Things predictably did not go quite as smoothly as laid out in the many guides out there. But, after a few false starts, and lessons learned while practicing on the toads, I got in a groove and eventually got them all painted.

Now, my figures aren't nearly as good as some of the other pics I've seen on this site but I couldn't be happier with the way they came out. Some look obviously better than others (Dwarf is probably the best, Prophetess the worst). Fine detail was difficult, and faces were completely beyond me without making the character look horribly disfigured, but other that that I'm really pleased and most importantly, my 7 and 4 yr old sons are very impressed.

Hopefully this link to image shack works...

http://img687.imageshack.us/i/img2450ax.jpg/

I'm not sure I spent a lot of $ or not. I think I bought about $70 worth of paints (roughly 18 different colors), and I have plenty left over for future expansions (I only have reaper so far).

That's all. Thanks for reading and if anyone wants tips from a newb painter, ask away.

Not too shabby! I especially like the colour-schemes used for the toads!

I'm yet to get around to painting my models, but fully intend to do so myself (perhaps under the guidance of a friend who plays a lot of warhammer and can offer his experience in regards to painting). You've just bumped it on my priorities though, as I loathe moving the wrong character (and spending ages looking through the box to find the right pieces at the beginning of the game!)

Good job :D

I used to paint lead mini's way back in the day with model paint.

People said they looked too shiny so I started mixing flat with the paints.

I then switched to ceramcoat paints and sealing them with a satin or flat spray, that knocks any glossyness off of them and makes them look more realistic.

Very nice job on your first go, I also made my toads all a bit different, my new set will be even more so!

Yeah, the toads are the only place I allowed myself some creativity. Otherwise I followed the cards as closely as I could.

The green and gold toad was my attempt to entice my Green Bay Packer Fan wife to play. No luck so far...

Awesome!  

Reading your post, it was like I wrote the beginning.  I'm so scared of screwing them up, I haven't tried to paint them yet.  I've never painted minis before and then my friend gave me some paints for a christmas gift specifically for painting my Talisman minis.  I stare at the paints in fear and then procrastinate.  But seeing your success has emboldened me!  I will do it!

and now I just got Descent: Journeys in the Dark, and I want to paint those minis too!  Thanks for sharing!

danjr said:

I then switched to ceramcoat paints and sealing them with a satin or flat spray, that knocks any glossyness off of them and makes them look more realistic.

Could I ask what kind of spray you used to seal them with? I have not done that yet.

I'm still on the fence about the shinyness. I've got shiny ones and flat ones and I kind of like them both.

I am not a painter by any means so I stick with doing a wash. I do this with all of my games that come with minis and it is fast, simple, and easy (and forgot to say very cheap as well). While painting is awesome when done right, a wash really brings out the details in the minis and for those of us who can not paint, this is well worth your time.

Game on;

-John-

I used to paint lead figures with Testors shiny paint when I was a kid....Talisman let me relive some fun times from my childhood, and after practicing on all the character minis from the game, I'm starting to branch out into other minis and even cobbling together characters to match artwork from Talisman.  I'm working on making a Lord of Darkness, and eventually I'll do an Ice Queen and an Eagle King too.....I've already finished a Toad King, which you can see here:   2011%252520017.jpg 

He actually looks a lot smoother in person...the camera adds ten pounds, as they say.  Ignore the base for now; I'll work on making it look decent later.  We've just moved house, and my workshop isn't set up yet, but when I get done with the Lord of Darkness (and a Talisman dice tower), I'll post pics.

Really... really nice work!  Aside, I wouldn't worry about the base unless something doesn't look right live.  A base should vanish from sight, fade away, leaving the figure to dominate the viewer's eye.

Thanks!  I'm starting to learn about Green Stuff and Bitz, which should make for an interesting Lord of Darkness (or Dude of Darkness, as my gaming group calls him).  I'm working on a Talisman dice tower, which should help the dice from disappearing into the colour of the board.   I'll populate it with miniatures of pit fiends, the Vampire, Werewolf, Eagle King, etc.  Should be fun, and keep me occupied for some time!  happy.gif