Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ffgfan

Wish list

87 posts in this topic

Wallenstein said:

 

 

Fighting with superopponents like Balrog, Smaug etc. is tempting but can lead to situations that they will have bigger characterisctics than usual enemies and that’s all.
Compering to Hill Troll how tough should be Balrog?? 

 

 

I see the very big guns as scenarios in and of themselves, with each Quest card possibly representing a stage of the encounter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sisyphus said:

I see the very big guns as scenarios in and of themselves, with each Quest card possibly representing a stage of the encounter.

 

Great idea; a fight with a Balrog could definitely be a quest in itself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

rings said:

servant of the secret fire said:

 

In seven years of play i dont remember i 've ever faced a Balrog in a tournament.Troll was the first choise for Moria decks.

 

 

I saw the second one rarely - Moria usually had plenty of shadow to pay for some big hitter.  You are right though, usually it was the Troll. 

Yes also at site 5 you can play Balrog from your hand or your discard pile with -6 cost.

On the other hand Glamdring,Sting,Frying Pan and Power According was an auto win against Moria.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think this license is the same one that Cubicle-7 has for their One Ring RPG.

If so, this game can use any place, item, character, or creature from..

Hobbit & Appendixes

LOTR & Appendixes

The upcoming One Ring RPG is even set during the same time-frame.

I'm 100% sure you will see the Balrog etc.

But anything else you want from The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin, or the 12 volumes of History of Middle Earth are off-limits!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

BeardFan said:

 Re: Balrog

A solution for the Balrog could be, not to make him a creature, but a treachery. Something like: when revealed sacrifice a hero. Would make sense, story-wise, wouldn't it. So better put "Fate or Fortune" into your deck gran_risa.gif

 

Sub in the word "character" for hero and you've got yourself a difficult yet still winnable scenario.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

qwertyuiop said:

Sub in the word "character" for hero and you've got yourself a difficult yet still winnable scenario.

If you think losing a character is bad, wait until you try the necromancer scenario in the starter. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Frog said:

I think this license is the same one that Cubicle-7 has for their One Ring RPG.

If so, this game can use any place, item, character, or creature from..

Hobbit & Appendixes

LOTR & Appendixes

The upcoming One Ring RPG is even set during the same time-frame.

I'm 100% sure you will see the Balrog etc.

But anything else you want from The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin, or the 12 volumes of History of Middle Earth are off-limits!

 

If that's so, then I can see why they'd want to exhaust those before moving onto anything else.

But surely the rights for the Silmarillion are going to be cheaper than those for LOTR? and well worth it if the game proves to be popular in a year or two.

Besides, who doesn't want to have Feanor as your Hero? 4 or 5 for Attack, Defence and Willpower, but with a card text of "every time you use Feanor, deal one point of damage to one of your other heroes"... or something like that, not got it figured out yet, just convinced that a deck full of Noldur would be cool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mighty Jim said:

 

Frog said:

 

I think this license is the same one that Cubicle-7 has for their One Ring RPG.

If so, this game can use any place, item, character, or creature from..

Hobbit & Appendixes

LOTR & Appendixes

The upcoming One Ring RPG is even set during the same time-frame.

I'm 100% sure you will see the Balrog etc.

But anything else you want from The Silmarillion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin, or the 12 volumes of History of Middle Earth are off-limits!

 

 

 

If that's so, then I can see why they'd want to exhaust those before moving onto anything else.

But surely the rights for the Silmarillion are going to be cheaper than those for LOTR? and well worth it if the game proves to be popular in a year or two.

Besides, who doesn't want to have Feanor as your Hero? 4 or 5 for Attack, Defence and Willpower, but with a card text of "every time you use Feanor, deal one point of damage to one of your other heroes"... or something like that, not got it figured out yet, just convinced that a deck full of Noldur would be cool.

 

 

No mate forget Silmarilion.C.Tolkien owns the rights and nobody can use Silmarilion except him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

servant of the secret fire said:

No mate forget Silmarilion.C.Tolkien owns the rights and nobody can use Silmarilion except him.

Yes, the Tolkiens themselves are notoriously unhappy about all these games and there's no way they will ever sanction a game based on stuff they hold the copyrights for.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, now did not suspected that this topic would become so big.

You know what would be great - a Deluxe expansion for Christmas 2011.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 I bet we'll be seeing a deluxe expansion before then, probably October - November to get the pre-holiday season bump. 

I like taking the discussion in this direction - what would you like to see for Deluxe Expansions?

I've seen someone here suggest a Hobbit quest line as a deluxe expansion which would be, to be quite honest, amazing. You could have a de-powered Gandalf the Grey, Bilbo, and Thorin as your main three Heroes, and the possibilities for ally would be huge. 

I'd also love to see some battle-specific questlines. I know it's probably outside of the time line, but as an example, a deluxe expansion walking the players through the different phases of the Battle of Helm's Deep would be amazing and fun to basically try to hold out until morning when reinforcements come through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Yeah, the Hobbit would be neat.  Part of me thinks they'd want to tie such a release into the movie's release, but I'm not sure how far ahead they have the game planned.  Sooner would be better in my book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm thinking we'll really want a big batch of player cards, whatever the theme is. It seems like we really don't get a lot in the adventure packs. I'm thinking maybe they'll do an expansion based around a specific culture like Rohan, Gondor, Elf, or Dwarf since the Adventure Packs are geographically oriented.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Narsil0420 said:

I'm thinking maybe they'll do an expansion based around a specific culture like Rohan, Gondor, Elf, or Dwarf since the Adventure Packs are geographically oriented.

I had the same thought: The first cycle of Adventure Packs centers on Mirkwood, and if this hints a the concept of the game, we can expect more regions be dealt with future adventure pack cycles.

I expect the first deluxe expansion at the end of Mirkwood cycle, which would be around October?

I think the "Hobbit" theme will be too resourceful: They won't be using it up on a single (deluxe) expansion I'm afraid. Rather I expect either a culture themed expansion or maybe a bigger questline, featuring one big "monster" quest (e.g. mines of moria).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ClydeCloggie said:

servant of the secret fire said:

 

No mate forget Silmarilion.C.Tolkien owns the rights and nobody can use Silmarilion except him.

 

 

Yes, the Tolkiens themselves are notoriously unhappy about all these games and there's no way they will ever sanction a game based on stuff they hold the copyrights for.

 

 

Oh I see, so who owns the rights for LOTR / THe Hobbit, if not the Tolkiens?

 

As far as a big expansion goes, I hope they'll keep a decent balance in the cards - The AGOT deluxe expansions have only focused on one house, which makes things a bit skewed until the equivalent comes out for another house. I hope we don't see for example just a "Lore" expansion, or a "tactics" one. Something for each sphere is they way to go.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mighty Jim said:

 

 

Oh I see, so who owns the rights for LOTR / THe Hobbit, if not the Tolkiens?

 

As far as a big expansion goes, I hope they'll keep a decent balance in the cards - The AGOT deluxe expansions have only focused on one house, which makes things a bit skewed until the equivalent comes out for another house. I hope we don't see for example just a "Lore" expansion, or a "tactics" one. Something for each sphere is they way to go.

Warner Bros has the rights and if a company wants to make a game or a movie they must take the licensce from WB.

As for the expansions i hope that too.In most games as time goes ideas are poorer and the only think they add is bigger numbers and more broken cards and the game loses interest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be suprised if that was true, unless they were using movie stills.

Usually the rights are per product - toys, movies, books, etc.  WB for sure owns the rights to publish the movie (and they can sell those right, they have been sold before), but I sincerely doubt they own any other rights.  I.e. they don't have the book publishing rights, nor the right to produce Hobbit toys.  Unless - again - they are using movie scenes/stills then WB would have to sign off on it, on top of the Tolkien estate. 

(Just a little background, I was a banker for a few gaming companies until last year)

Doesn't FFG own some gaming Hobbitt rights already?  For board games? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Me and my horrible English....sad.gif.

WB has the rights for the movies and for games based on the movies.WB owns the rights for The Hobbit the movie and can make a game for The Hobbit.Games Workshop expanded the licence from WB and they can use Hobbit for their miniature game.

FFG on the other hand can use the licence from the books and thats the reason why they cant have Aragorn,Gandalf,Gimli,Legolas etc look like the characters in the movies.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And WB only owns them because they bought out New Line Cinema who owned the movie rights since they are the ones that made the movies.

 

Anyway, getting this topic back on topic.

I agree we will likely see a large box expansion after the first cycle, that is exactly what happened with Warhammer Invasion. After the corruption cycle Assault on Ulthuan came out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lcg's tend to have different versions of the heroes or heroes are allways the same?I mean at later expansions we may have a different Aragorn with different abilities and stats or the first Aragorn is the only Aaragorn we will get?

Desipher's card game had many versions of every character and minion.Does this huppens at Lcg's?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd really like to see a "guarding the shire" scenario. Helping the Dunedain keep the ring safe. The final stage could be trying to keep the black riders out of the shire.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to explore some of the areas of conflict that The Lord of the Rings hints at, but doesn't get to directly. Things like issues up at Dale and the Iron Mountain, the events in the south that send the people (along with Bill Ferny) migrating through Bree, border skirmishes down towards Umbar...that sort of thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Scoob said:

I'd love to explore some of the areas of conflict that The Lord of the Rings hints at, but doesn't get to directly. Things like issues up at Dale and the Iron Mountain, the events in the south that send the people (along with Bill Ferny) migrating through Bree, border skirmishes down towards Umbar...that sort of thing.

I really like that idea. I'd love to see Harad, Angmar and the far North. ICE did a great job of stuff like that with their games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0