Sign in to follow this  
Iku Rex

Combined macrobattery salvos - one or multilple rolls?

In starship combat you have the option of combining multiple macrobatteries into a single salvo. If you do this, do you roll once for each Weapon Component used,  or does a single salvo use a single roll?

That would be my best guess too after careful reading. But it's not so clear. 

Take this quote from page 220: "Unless multiple macrobatteries are being combined in a salvo, each Weapon Component should be resolved against the target separately, not simultaneously. (This is important due to the manner in which void shields work.)"

Now reword that a little so it applies to combined salvos: "When multiple macrobatteries are being combined in a salvo, all Weapon Components should be resolved against the target simultaneously, not separately. (This is important due to the manner in which void shields work.)"

This suggests a single roll to me.

Once the final number of hits has been determined, roll the weapon’s indicated Damage once for each hit, adding the totals together. The final total is the amount of damage dealt to the target. If a ship fires multiple macrobatteries at a single target, before rolling to hit and the determining the damage total for each macrobattery, the character directing the firing has the option of adding the totals together and applying the new, larger total to the target ship once, rather than applying each damage result separately. This represents a ship combining its weapon fire into a single, devastating salvo. - Rogue Trader, pg. 220

Combining macrobatteries into a salvo is the act of chosing, before you fire, to add their damage totals together after you roll to hit for each battery seperately. The advantage of this is it allows macrobatteries a better chance at overcoming enemy armour. The drawback is you can only score one critical hit with the combined salvo. Regardless, you still roll to hit for each battery in question.

What part of your quote explicitly says that Cannonball? Imagine that some clear rule elsewhere in that section said to make a single Test for a single salvo. Would that rule be contradicted by the quote you posted? 

guest469, I think a single roll would make salvos more powerful, because it makes it easier for PCs to stack every possible bonus (and possibly a fate point) on a single roll. It also makes devastating max damage more likely. On the other hand you lose a few crits and your damage output will be more erratic. 

guest469 said:

Using only a single roll would make salvoes a lot less overpowered compared to lances. It also makes armour more important.

I agree.  Our ship has a pair of Sunsear Laser Batteries on either side.  It's not too hard for out gunner (BS 53, Ship +10 from Ship Master's Bridge and +10 from Good-craftsmanship MIU, and re-roll fails from Voidmaster ability) to score 3 DoS on both shots. It's much harder for him to hit once with 7 DoS even if the RT gives him the extra +10 and another +5 floats in from Put Your Backs into It.

Ah. That clears something up for me. My initial impression was that each "success" with the single salvo Test would give a hit for every battery used.  So you'd only need 3 DoS for max damage with two Str 4 weapons. But now that I think about it that's definitely not in the rules. So I'm conceding the point - the rules on this aren't all that unclear. happy.gif