Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
The Spaniard

FFG on the Curse of the Dark Pharaoh Revised Edition

51 posts in this topic

North_Wolf said:

I really enjoyed the theme of the DP expansion and had some good times playing it (despite knowing that it was clunky and unwealdy compared to the rest - the forum maniacs here and on BBG helped alot in getting the most out of it rules wise). 

Arkham Horror got me back into board games and I have every single expansion that has been made for it (want the mini´s later). 

I was a bit concerned about a new edition of DP but I am quite happy with the explanation given.

Seems that the new expansions will continue to build on the game and let us get the most out of existing content.  That is a fantastic direction to take and I will continue to support the series for a long time to come.

The only thing I dread is a reboot or a third edition, since that often seems like a cheap way of cashing anew after a long series of expansion (making what you have out of date) I´m glad that FFG is not adopting that plan and is nurturing the AH series instead.  :)

Pretty much agree with everything here. I much prefer just updating or revising stuff when needed and expanding the existing game as opposed to just starting up a third edition, which would surely kill this game and have a lot of people just leave all together. A similar situation, I guess, is what White Wolf did with their World of Darkness franchise... scrapping Vampire: The Masquerade and the other brands in that line and started up a new World of Darkness with Requiem and a bunch of new games... and the minute they did that was when I and I'm sure a lot of people just left the company's side. Starting all over from scratch is very jarring for long time customers.

HyeJinx1984 said:

North_Wolf said:

I really enjoyed the theme of the DP expansion and had some good times playing it (despite knowing that it was clunky and unwealdy compared to the rest - the forum maniacs here and on BBG helped alot in getting the most out of it rules wise). 

Arkham Horror got me back into board games and I have every single expansion that has been made for it (want the mini´s later). 

I was a bit concerned about a new edition of DP but I am quite happy with the explanation given.

Seems that the new expansions will continue to build on the game and let us get the most out of existing content.  That is a fantastic direction to take and I will continue to support the series for a long time to come.

The only thing I dread is a reboot or a third edition, since that often seems like a cheap way of cashing anew after a long series of expansion (making what you have out of date) I´m glad that FFG is not adopting that plan and is nurturing the AH series instead.  :)

Pretty much agree with everything here. I much prefer just updating or revising stuff when needed and expanding the existing game as opposed to just starting up a third edition, which would surely kill this game and have a lot of people just leave all together. A similar situation, I guess, is what White Wolf did with their World of Darkness franchise... scrapping Vampire: The Masquerade and the other brands in that line and started up a new World of Darkness with Requiem and a bunch of new games... and the minute they did that was when I and I'm sure a lot of people just left the company's side. Starting all over from scratch is very jarring for long time customers.

Funny you mentioned White Wolf.  :D  I had collected every vampire book then, and I was working on completing Wraith and Werewolf when reboot happened and I never looked back or bought another one.

I'm happy with the expansion, from what I see.  I am willing to forgive FFG for the initial release, seeing as it was the first expansion, and that they hit their stride with the later ones.

North_Wolf said:

Funny you mentioned White Wolf.  :D  I had collected every vampire book then, and I was working on completing Wraith and Werewolf when reboot happened and I never looked back or bought another one.

There is a flip side to this coin too, new editions bring in new customers. Using the White Wolf example I began collecting Exalted right before they released their 2nd edition, I wasn't very invested in it so I shifted gears. Of course now I'm invested in 2nd edition and probably wouldn't shift to a 3rd if they did but they have my money and it's now their job to get someone elses it's just how business works. Also its a common part of the human thought process to want our investments to pay off so we tend to stick with them and avoid shifting focus even if it doesn't make sense. I'm not suggesting that not wanting to shift to a new edition of a game doesn't make sense by the way since even an out dated game still functions the same. However I do not think we are currently in any danger of Arkham going into a 2nd edition at this point in time.

North_Wolf said:

Yea, I viewed the publishing of Requiem and all the other NWoD stuff as White Wolf's way of saying "Alright, we want to move on to a new customer-base, so goodbye you guys!" and I said goodbye back... of course, they may be regretting this since it seems there's a move BACK towards the Old World of Darkness, what with an MMO coming out that takes place in that and NOT their new one...

I'm stoked for the CotDP re-release ... though I'd honestly prefer a tear-down-total-rebuild BGotW revision. It's the one small box that rarely sees love in my circles, which is a shame 'cause I love me some Shub. So much potential there! Hook me up with a cult mechanic that works, then we'll talk! gui%C3%B1o.gif

We haven't yet seen what Miskatonic Horror is going to do to Black Goat. They do seem to be trying to attack dilution in all the expansions through both the rewrite and MH so BG may get some love there.

Veet said:

We haven't yet seen what Miskatonic Horror is going to do to Black Goat. They do seem to be trying to attack dilution in all the expansions through both the rewrite and MH so BG may get some love there.

One hopes.  It can't get much worse ;') (though I love Black Goat because it has so many great components for customization, I don't enjoy playing it as it was designed at all).

Innsmouth13 said:

Avi_dreader said:

Innsmouth13 said:

Thanks for the post.  So if I understand correctly, those of us with the old version can either just forget about the new version play with itgrinbear the fact that if we want the updates we need to purchase the newer version.serio.gif    I am excited for it but still don't know if I will buy it.  Maybe after I get Miskatonic Horror.

Basically our old version's will be scrapped, but that's not necessarily a bad thing,the patrols sound very fun (as does an exhibit item distribution method that will actually work).

OK Avi, I'll get it cause I like CotDPby rereading the Miskatonic Horror teasers I think I'll get the New one when my future wife isn't with medemonio.gif (She doesn't understand my love with the game cause she hasn't played it yet.  Fun fact: All the boards combined are longer then her partido_risa.gif

She probably doesn't like the game because she has height envy ;'D

Wait a second...  I think the boards might be taller than me too (when stacked flat I mean).

Now I hate this game!

Alright, I just had to check it after seeing these comments... and, HA! I'm still taller than all the boards next to each other! (but only by about 4 inches...)

im looking forward to this revised edition

as a relative new arkham player, (2yrs) using a friends box, i went out on my own and have been snapping up the expansions in reverse order

so when reading about the plans for cotdpr made me happy

HyeJinx1984 said:

North_Wolf said:

I totally agree - Requiem annoyed the hell out of me as well, although I wonder if they plan on going back to Masquerade: there are putting out an (expensive) limited edition (pre-order only) 20th anniversary edition of Masqurade with all Clans/Bloodlines/Disciplines in it, as well as PDF of integrating Requiem with Masquerade.

On the topic of Arkham, I always thought DP, recieved a little more heat then was neccesary from the fans and was an underrated expansion; that being said, I'm very excited to see it rounded out more with the Revised edition.  It's a good thing that my wife's favorite game is AH, so I can justify getting both the Miskatonic University Expansion and Revised COTDP. :)

Unknown said:

I would actually LOVE a reboot/3rd edition, as 2nd edition is pretty dated compared to newer FFG games.

How so?

Ignore that post, limiter. That poster was a troll.

The reason his name is "Unknown" was that he was deleted from the system.

The rules for "The" state that the two expansions ("The" and " ") should not be played together. Does that mean that I should remove my Barred from Neighborhood cards from my game? Are there no more barrings from neighborhoods?

Correct. The barred from neighborhood cards have been replaced by the patrol markers. And every card has been replaced by an updated version. So if you keep both old and new cards you will have "duplicates" of everything.

You know, I was never upset about the revised expansion coming out.  I saw others complaining about it in the forums, but I figured if I already had one version there was no push to buy another.  Now that I'm hearing about all the additional rules and mechanics, I'm really considering getting it anyway.  I love the support that FFG puts into their games.  They make up the majority of my collection and I'm always interested in trying out more.  I wish there was a FFG center around my hometown, so that I could participate in events and demos.

I own the first edition of this expansion and was  was considering getting the revised one  for the new Exhibit Encounter mechanic. Is it worth it?

Do the new patrol markers replace the barred cards, or can I still play with both?  Are the Arkham encounters/Mythos cards  exclusive to the revised edition, or are they duplicates of the former one?

Does anyone know if any of the other expansions are going to be Revised in the near future?   I just bought DP (revised) as my first expansion, but want to make sure my next expansion purchase isn't one that's going to be retired soon.   Thanks in advance!