Sign in to follow this  
Yerazald

Rumor From Sea of Blood

In the rumor THE HARD WAY, are the white golem considered as obstacles in the purpose of playing trap like crushing Block? The Overlord can block the way and there is no way for the heroes to leave.

Yerazald said:

In the rumor THE HARD WAY, are the white golem considered as obstacles in the purpose of playing trap like crushing Block? The Overlord can block the way and there is no way for the heroes to leave.

The Overlord is not allowed to make any move that makes it completely impossible for the heroes to proceed (alternatively, the heroes can move through a figure they normally couldn't in order to proceed in such cases - the golem is definitely a figure, even if quest rules prevent it from moving or attacking.)  I'm not sure how official either of these statements are, but they've both been attributed to FFG staff in answering questions similar to this one.

Now, in an AC game, there is some debate about what constitutes "impossible to proceed."  For example, if the heroes are blocked from progressing through a dungeon, they can still flee and go find somewhere else to quest, so whether or not this rule should be invoked for blocking a single dungeon is something each group needs to decide for itself.

If, however, you are being trapped on a given dungeon level without the ability to glyph out, then you are certainly being preventing from proceeding as you can neither complete the dungeon nor flee.  (Claiming the heroes can proceed by comitting mass suicide to get rezzed in town is not fair play in my books.)  If I read your statement correctly (as implying that you are stuck on the rumor level and unable to leave) then you would certainly be in a position to call shenanigans.  Either the OL is not allowed to play a CB like so, or your heroes will gain the ability to move through the golem to go around it, either way you CAN get out.

This has nothing to do with the rules for CB, however, and more to do with suggested "patch rules" the designers have supposedly given us to ensure a modicum of fair play.  You should talk to your group and decide which way you'd prefer to handle this situation and others like it.  While you're having that discussion, it would probably be wise to decide whether or not your group considers "preventing the heroes from advancing in a single dungeon" as equivalent to "impossible to proceed" since it sounds like your OL probably wouldn't have an issue creating such a situation if you leave him the wiggle room.

Steve-O said:

If, however, you are being trapped on a given dungeon level without the ability to glyph out, then you are certainly being preventing from proceeding as you can neither complete the dungeon nor flee.  (Claiming the heroes can proceed by comitting mass suicide to get rezzed in town is not fair play in my books.) 

Even if they can't suicide and run they're not trapped. All they have to do is hang around until the OL cycles his deck twice and they're booted out automatically.

Yerazald said:

No. They are still monsters rather than obstacles, even if unactivated. However...

FAQ pg13
If an invulnerable monster blocks a path, the heroes may move through that monster.

If the OL blocks the path with blocks beside the invulnerable golems, then the invulnerable white golems are then 'blocking the path' and the heroes may move through them.

James McMurray said:

Even if they can't suicide and run they're not trapped. All they have to do is hang around until the OL cycles his deck twice and they're booted out automatically.

Oh, good.  A rule that was only invented to stop the heroes from cheese-whoring the game balance out the window can now be used by a canny OL to piss off the heroes and grab a few CT while shutting down whatever was left of the dungeon.

I'll give you three guesses how I feel about that, and the first two don't count.  Long story short: if that rule really needs to be invoked for any reason, you're playing the game wrong (or at least with a bunch of rule-lawyer assholes.)  It's a sad state of affairs that this rule even needed to exist in the first place, if you ask me.  Our group has never used it, nor played ourselves into a corner where we needed to call upon it.

Steve-O said:

James McMurray said:

Oh, good.  A rule that was only invented to stop the heroes from cheese-whoring the game balance out the window can now be used by a canny OL to piss off the heroes and grab a few CT while shutting down whatever was left of the dungeon.

I'll give you three guesses how I feel about that, and the first two don't count.  Long story short: if that rule really needs to be invoked for any reason, you're playing the game wrong (or at least with a bunch of rule-lawyer assholes.)  It's a sad state of affairs that this rule even needed to exist in the first place, if you ask me.  Our group has never used it, nor played ourselves into a corner where we needed to call upon it.

It's not relevant anyway.

The rule in question says if the way is blocked, not if the heroes are trapped.