Sign in to follow this  
Sekreth

Precedent

Considering that the Call of Cthulhu LCG recently added another faction, is it possible for this game to add another one as well? I would really like House Tyrell included considering that they do want power for themselves and that they're also represented in the board game.

True. Apparently, there are other precedents.

I just want this to have a lot of options just like Call of Cthulhu. I would be fine with seven factions. Eight would probably be pushing it, especially considering that there's no fluff to support it.

If they ever came into being, I want them to play just like family. With Loras and Margaery triggering off each other, and Grandma Tyrell being the deadliest character you could ever bring out. They'd be like the Whateleys in Doomtown.

I think (as told in another post) that, since a new huge book is coming, it is normal to wait how the story will go on... If Arryn or Tyrrel will be stronger in the story of westeros, i would love to have them as Great House in the game ;-)

From what I've heard. Targaryen and Greyjoy were planned additions. Martell was originally going to be neutral, but GRRM told them to make them a house.

SPOILER WARNING:

And Dance is about the North and the East. While we might gain a few insights into the Vale... it most likely will be in book 6 that Arryn makes a move if any.

Tyrell as its own house does make a lot of sense. On the other hand what is the Tyrell house in the books: the Renly faction. For those that either read the books or can see the cards... yes at some point they do become allies of Lannister, but IIRC House Tyrell was the bulk of the Renly faction and the only non-tyrell characters in the books that you hear about from the Renly faction are: Renly, Brienne, Royce, and the Maester at Storm's End. Everyone else you don't really hear much of. Loras, Mace and Margery sort of take the stage with Renly and Randyl Tarly (who shouldn't be neutral... I never understood that one!). So Similar to House Tully in Stark, House Tyrell is in many ways already represented in Baratheon. In fact if one did make Tyrell its own house Renly should be in that faction.

Now, I also think at this point if Wildings were to be touched on again, it makes more sense for them to be a Baratheon faction... considering Stannis IS the only person that actually offered them anything. (Aside from Osha).

Asshai should really be dual Targ/Bara.

Arryn makes sense as its own house considering Lyssa and Littlefinger have been manipulating everyone else for the entire series to their own ends. They are definitely not neutral... they WANT to WIN the game of thrones.

bloodycelt said:

From what I've heard. Targaryen and Greyjoy were planned additions. Martell was originally going to be neutral, but GRRM told them to make them a house.

Yeah, that's pretty much what happened.  

When the game first started (CCG/Collectible era), only Stark, Baratheon and Lannister were represented in the initial base set release (probably most similar to the Core set in LCG, but 250 different cards.  Each "block" had the base release (usually August) and two smaller (145 new cards) sets released around Dec and May.  Each of the smaller sets was kind of like a block of 6 chapter packs now.  Greyjoy was immediately released in Dec (with lots of new stuff for the 3 existing houses), and then Targ in May (with very little for the 4 existing houses).  Martell was not released until the May of the next year (a whole new base set, Ice & Fire, and first I&F sub-set, Throne of Blades, came in between).  FFG did a much better job incorporating Martell into the game than Targ (in my opinion).  Martell had few cards than the other houses, and less, options, but eventually caught up to the others.  When they released Targ, it was too much, too fast.  

I don't believe it was ever confirmed; but it's widely accepted that FFG did not want a 6th house, but GRRM insisted.  Therefore, I doubt they will introduce another house.  However, I've long been a proponent of 9 Houses (adding Arryn, Tyrell and even Tully), and would be happy with any addition.  

A Deluxe Expansion is the most obvious and easy way to accomplish this.  That would allow any new house to be playable, even if generally weaker than the others gameplay-wise initially, and eventually catch up.  Some people may complain about dilution or not enough new cards per house.  However, bringing back just a few dual-house cards (last seen in the first chapter packs and Greyjoy expansion) would solve this.  You'd only need 1-2 dual-house cards every chapter pack or every other chapter pack.  You could create even more card slots by reducing the number of house only events (do we really need that many, or event cycles like the "To Be A" events?).   

I actually dislike neutral cards in general.

Since I'm against rotation having blocks of a 7th mini-house in each cycle than almost  1/3 neutral cards... helps keep the pool from becoming too gray and too exploitable. It also means rather than a gimmic (no power on house card?, 6 or less power?) to force you to go tribal. If they are an actual house you either pay ooh for 1-2 characters or use a house card. Then one could make a decent overall theme but just generally good cards unto themselves. (Why the wildings are so potent is because they are generally good... but since they are neutral, no restriction on usage). And if the treaty agenda simply waives gold penalty then the real cost of using the faction is you can't easily mix them with another, or use an agenda (since the treaty agenda is one). 

(Night's watch, Brotherhood, and Maesters are OK for neutrals, as are a few utility cards... etc).

I think if you did a deluxe expansion and a chapter pack cycle for House Arryn that would explore most of the themes of the house we currently know so little about. 

I agree that having more houses is much easier in the LCG world - and probably might help FFG at some point in that they might lose ideas for Deluxe Expansions.  But, they have done a pretty good job with dual houses in the past...unluckily everyone (okay, most everyone) seemed to be dual Lanni/Bara which was/is a balance issue. 

Coming from the CCG days I still find the current cardpool lacking for each house to have at least a few interesting and efficient decktypes.
So in my opinion adding even more houses would make matters even worse by narrowing the future cardpool for each house, probably leading to each hose becoming a one trick pony, two at best.
I agree though on the neutral hate, it´s nice having a few netrals but I prefer inhouse cards too. Maybe they should print more dual house stuff instead, still adding more to the card pool but having the house flavor, like they did wicth Arryn and Tyrell some time ago?

what i want for tyrell is for them to be there own house, but without a house card. then they could all have some icon (lets call it the tyrell rose) which means that they cost 1 less gold to play OOH. this makes them a bit more expensive then neutrals, but they are 'for sale.' The characters would als obe free in a neurtal house card deck.

Also baratheon and lannister could have characters locations or events that where dual house but house lanni/bara only that reduced or interacted with the house tyrell trait.

This way they are more then neutral, not a new house (so to speak), and still work best with their traditional allies from the books.