Sign in to follow this  
Cim2

Revised Dark Pharaoh expansion

Number of ancient one cards, spells, and allies all matches the original, so probably not much change to the content there either (though there might be a few clarifications, I suppose, and finally fixing the wording on the "Triune Mask" encounter...)

Exhibit encounters deck seems a great way to deal with the "you never get an exhibit item with all the expansions" dilution problem. It sounds like this is the way that Miskatonic Horror will add more opportunities to get an exhibit into the game, too.

Sounds like the free herald is coming nicely printed in this box

Patrolled neighbourhoods might be a replacement for Barred, bringing the great taste of Innsmouth to Arkham. But at least the Arkham jail doesn't have Shoggoths.

One the one hand, it all sounds like a great improvement on the original. On the other hand, I already own CotDP and most of this isn't new.

I am really concerned about us, the poeple that bought the original expansion, now i feel we will need to buy it again, and the provious one that we had will be completely obsolete. i hope there is a way to upgrade it , not just replace it.

dosan said:

I am really concerned about us, the poeple that bought the original expansion, now i feel we will need to buy it again, and the provious one that we had will be completely obsolete. i hope there is a way to upgrade it , not just replace it.

I'm considering boycotting it (I never thought I'd say that about an Arkham Expansion)...  It feels really exploitative that they're not releasing the new components in Miskatonic Horror but instead it seems like they're trying to prod those of us who've already bought their product into buying it again (with minor new additions).  It's basically paying $20+ for a new herald.

If previous owners are not offered the option to"Upgrade", then I will not being buying this.

I've already purchased this expansion.  I do not understand why I should pay for it again.

tazbro said:

If previous owners are not offered the option to"Upgrade", then I will not being buying this.

I've already purchased this expansion.  I do not understand why I should pay for it again.

I doubt they'll do this, but it'd be neat if you give them your old CotDP box (maybe components included?) and they'd give you a free Revised version. Once again, highly doubt this. So I'm not holding my breath for it. But it sure would be neat. FFG has always been great with customer service/relations. Why stop now?

I'm with you, Avi. I, especially, feel gypped, since I just got CotDP a few months ago, instead of a few years ago like many others...

I hope that the new cards of dark pharao will be inside "Miskatonik Horror" that way the People with old Dark Pharaon will enjoy the new, and those who bought the new doesnt find any difference (just dupilcated cards if the buy Miskatonik Horror, as we have with Dunwich Horror)

Also i hope that the Dark Pharao is not the Bugged one that FFG printed out in an PDF, because the "Blood Will boil" Aptitude doesnt let any cursed player with 1 stamina leave the St Mary Hospital. (Lose stamina -> Lose turn -> Stay Hospital -> Win Stamina [infinite loop])

And how do you pretend not to be at 1 stamina with those draining curses?

Any cursed Investigator will be in 1 stamina easily; and it's difficult to have 5 trophy points and 1 ~ 2 turns to reach the bless without falling in the way.

They just miss their encounter not the entire turn. They still can roll to get rid of the curse. True it's not much but the problem could be solved by moving the damage to the Mythos phase instead of upkeep, then at least they could take advantage of the hospital healing.

I don't think including this expansion in Miskatonic Horror would be a good idea. MH seems to be intended to benefit you, regardless of the expansions you've bought. If you don't want the CotDP expansion, anyone who has the others and would like MH wouldn't be happy shelling over another 20-25 bucks for MH.

I own CotDP, but I bought it years ago. I like CotDP in theme, but feel like it was implemented poorly. They were spot on when they said that out of all the expansions it seems to be the one that sticks out the most. I'll wait for the rules to get a better clarification as to how the expansion's new mechanics will be implemented. If I like it, I will rush out and buy it. If I don't like how its implemented, I will probably wait a while before I buy it.

I"m not opposed to getting a new version of CotDP. The original is so wonky and there are encounters that really slow the game down. I hate the encounters that drive the game to a halt as you dig through the monster bag trying to find a Hound of Tindolos to encounter. I'll wait and see what comes with this, but I've wasted $20 on more trivial things than this. 

Ordoniez said:

And how do you pretend not to be at 1 stamina with those draining curses?

Any cursed Investigator will be in 1 stamina easily; and it's difficult to have 5 trophy points and 1 ~ 2 turns to reach the bless without falling in the way.

Have someone else hit South Church to cash in trophies to remove another investigator's curse perhaps? Or don't get cursed. Or be Michael McGlen and laugh at the Dark Pharaoh.

cim said:

so probably not much change to the content there either

I say that, but actually, looking at the cards there, the Masks are not the same, so maybe there's been some revision to the Exhibit items.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/Arkham_Horror/Dark%20Pharaoh%20revised/ah-codprevised-cardfan.png
Mask o[f the?] Black P[haroah?]: Any Ph[ase] [...] to eith[er] [...] instead [...] a Will [...] instead [...?]

That's very different from the old one. I wonder what it does.

The Tainted detriment hiding behind those two seems to have some extra wording at the top of it, too.

Okay... maybe there will be more new content there. (Combine old and new Curse for double the Egyptian goodness? And some really bizarre FAQs "When it says to get the Triune mask, can I choose which Mask of the Three Fates I want, or do I get whichever is closer the top of the Exhibit deck?")

Dark Pharao was the first expansion I bought. I like it. And I'm looking forward to buy the Revised version. Chances are the changes are too widespread to make it available by any other means. But the Print-On-Demand option might work for future revised versions.

Noresfatu said:

which marking will be on the Miskatonic expansion cards? : 

Of course they will be marked with the MH waterprint. That way you can take them back to their box when finished without mixing expansions.

What I meant is that it seems MH will use each "expanded expansion's" original markings, with a different color, so will they recolor the original CotDF marking or the new one? :)

jhaelen said:

Dark Pharao was the first expansion I bought. I like it. And I'm looking forward to buy the Revised version. Chances are the changes are too widespread to make it available by any other means. But the Print-On-Demand option might work for future revised versions.

In reading the PoD previews though FFG state that PoD is best suited to games where cards are not shuffled into existing non PoD decks, due to differences in print colours etc on PoD products.

I would think this would limit the ability to use PoD on AH...

Ironically, though it might work for CotDP if the exihibt deck and exhibit encounter deck are both completely new decks? but if there are also cardboard tokens and the like, then perhaps not....

I'll buy it, no question.  Dark Pharaoh was a mess: grammar, mechanics, everything.  Whatever Dunwich did right, Dark Pharaoh did wrong first.  FFG even admits so in their announcement.

There seems to be evidence that the blandness of the Exhibits will be fixed.  There seems to be evidence that Barred from Neighborhood (arguably the WORST mechanic FFG ever conceived) will be replaced with a niftier mechanic involving Arkham PD.  For those who can't find an Exhibit Encounter without Darrell, a spotlight, and some tweezers, you should be fascinated with the new "roaming Black Market" mechanic.  Printed Herald, proofread cards...and maybe some Gate Bursts so it's not helping with the dilution?

The one thing Dark Pharaoh had was THEME.  It's what Tibs has been crowing about for years.  If Dark Pharaoh can combine that theme with the mechanical might of the Lurker decks, I'll drop Lurker as my small deck in a heartbeat.

On the products page it says the now old version has 21 spells but in the new version it says it has only 12 spells. ls this a usual FFG misprint or are there only 12 spells.

Noresfatu said:

What I meant is that it seems MH will use each "expanded expansion's" original markings, with a different color, so will they recolor the original CotDF marking or the new one? :)

The revised version is just the original symbol in a solid black circle. It doesn't really matter which one they use. You'll know they are from Dark Pharaoh regardless.

Wow, I am so glad I got Lurker instead of Pharoah last month! (only missing Curse & Black Goat)

Speaking as someone who wasn't that interested in getting the original version of CotDP vs the other existing expansions, I'm actually sort of excited about this new version! For one thing the new patrol car effect sounds loads more fun then the "barred from the neighborhood cards." And an official printed Herald like all the other small expansions! Now it's actually starting to look worth my $25.