Sign in to follow this  
The Laughing God

Deathwatch & Rogue Trader

So when is the 40k rpg company gonna get off its ass and make something for the core 40k fanbase?

Or maybe give the licence to someone who will do something 40k with it?

Dezmond said:

So when is the 40k rpg company gonna get off its ass and make something for the core 40k fanbase?

I assume you are referring to more high powered action. Rogue trader, which is slightly more powerful, is slated for August 2009, and Deathwatch, which is supposedly high powered (particularly since it includes Space Marines aS playable characters) is rumored at some time in 2010.

Though I have to say, your interpretation of "something 40K" and "the 40K core fan base" is pretty selfish and narrow-minded.

Cheers!

Dezmond said:

Well Dezmund, me and my group of players and friends consider ourselves core 40k fanbase members, and aside from a single CSM player in our TT group and a half assed SM I built mainly cause two of us bought the new box set and he really wanted my orks, none of us consider SM core 40k.

We like other aspects, like the IG, kroot, eldar, nids and so forth.

I have 2 IG armies, a Dark Eldar Army, A Witch Hunters Army (with no sisters), A hrud themed Lost and Damned army, a Farscape Scarran themed LatD army and so forth. I read the novels and the comics.

I played necromunda, gorka morka and BFG.

So dont say im not core 40k fan

Dak Rogers said:

Though I have to say, your interpretation of "something 40K" and "the 40K core fan base" is pretty selfish and narrow-minded.

Excuse me for thinking a 40k game should appeal to 40k fans. Which you say you arn't.

Can't we just get someone who likes 40k in to get things moving?

+++++none of us consider SM core 40k.+++++

!!!!!!!

Dezmond said:

Dak Rogers said:

Excuse me for thinking a 40k game should appeal to 40k fans. Which you say you arn't.

Can't we just get someone who likes 40k in to get things moving?

I never said that I wasn't a 40K fan. I said I wasn't a miniatures game fan. Dark Heresy made me a fan of the 40K universe. Now, if your definition of "40K" is the miniatures game, then fine, but then you should stop badgering FFG to make a "more 40K game" for the "40K fans" and just go play the miniatures game, since that is the "more 40K game" for the "40K fans."

Shoot 'em up is fine in an RPG. But if ALL you want to do is shoot 'em up, then you don't really want to play an RPG; you want to play a tactical combat game.

Cheers!

Dezmond said:

If you're representative of the "Core 40k fanbase" (which, given your loudly-stated opinions and my personal experiences - having been a 40k player for 16 years now, and a regular in one of the oldest GW stores in the country (Reading) for just as long - is doubtful, IMO), then that fanbase already has a game. It's called Warhammer 40,000.

Meanwhile, the 40k-universe-inclined gamers with any degree of sense swiftly move on to Epic (where Marines are much less emphasised, and often overshadowed by Imperial Guard tanks and artillery and the presence of Titans) or Battlefleet Gothic (where Imperial Navy > Space Marines any day of the week).

Face it, Dezmond: 40kRP, as it presently exists, isn't for you. Indeed, you've bellowed opinions on many occasions that make me inclined to believe that roleplaying isn't exactly the hobby to which your brand of vocal enthusiasm for ninjas, explosions and whatever else you find interesting on youtube this week is most suited. You are, it seems, the most extreme definition of the vocal minority - being both exceedingly vocal and a minority of one, within the context of this forum.

wolfie said:

Or forget about Dark Heresy and play an rpg that has what he wants...like Waste World.

Or just use Patriot's Space Marine rules for Dark Heresy. They are not bad at all, will be pretty much what I base any SM activity until DW comes out.

They work, work alongside DH as is and gives him all he wants.

So go at Dezmund and please, I hope you enjoy it.

Dezmond said:

Letrii said:

SM are an aspect of 40K, not the totallity of it.

Sure, sure, just far and away the most popular part of it.

To a certain sub-set of the fan base perhaps.

Letrii said:

To a certain sub-set of the fan base perhaps.

Well yes, far and away the largest subset.

--

But it is not simply the lack of space Marines, damning though it is, that makes DH not a 40k game - those of you who are pro DH would likly resist move to make it more approachable to 40k fans - stuff to make combat easier and more entertaining.

Amirite?

I have seen no proof that SM fanboys are the largest sub-set.  They may be a more vocal sub-set, but that proves nothing.  And before you quote statistics about SM boxes sold, remember statistics are lies.

Thought this conversation ran it's course on the old boards...

2nd thing.  Don't start this garbage on these boards Dez.  FFG has nothing to do with the choice to do DH before a Space Marine game.  They've done a good job releasing new material and are clearly not sitting on "their asses."  Who knows what they would have picked were they to decide which game came first.

Personally I want a Space Marine game more than anything else, but until them I'm happy to enjoy DH as quality product worthy of the 40k label.

Then again, if it's all about combat and Space Marines what's stopping you from using the incredible wealth of material already available for the miniatures game?  Nothing.

Dezmond said:

Mark It Zero said:

Who knows what they would have picked were they to decide which game came first.

They do get to pick which game comes out second...

Unless more work was already put into game #2 prior to them buying the property.  Which seems likely.  In which case the smart investment would be to capitalize on what's further along in developement and save the brunt of the work for when the game line has already padded the budget.

Frankly I imagine only good things can come from saving the best for last.  More money means even better art and content.  If, when the game does come out, it's crap, I'll join you in your disdain.  Until then, there's no point in crying over milk that hasn't even been spilled yet.

If the game holds to the standard set by DH though, I doubt I'll be painting any signs with you in the future.

Wilfred Owen said:

Vrashk said:

I mean come on, what is the first thing that pops into mind when you say WH40k?  

The Imperial Navy and Imperial Guard. I've loved these two things since I first liad eyes on them being mentioned in a codex. They are real people; and I find the Navy doens't get enough book-time beyond cannon-fodder for Space marines ratings and menals ships and crusades, nor are they as cut and paste as someone brainwashed into 'killers on steroids' marines.