Sign in to follow this  
The Laughing God

Deathwatch & Rogue Trader

Peacekeeper_b said:

In fact Space Marines are my least favorite aspect of 40K. (other then the Tau, too **** Anime). If I had my way and if the Space Marines where no so integrated into the background and fluff, they would go the way of the Squats.

I guess its just that what I am referring to, they -are- that integrated in the background and fluff, to leave them out would be heresy. Although I agree that there's not super-much RP possibilities, as far as I am aware. Space marine chapters bicker with eachother and shoot everything else. But they need to be there.

Vrashk said:

I guess its just that what I am referring to, they -are- that integrated in the background and fluff, to leave them out would be heresy. Although I agree that there's not super-much RP possibilities, as far as I am aware. Space marine chapters bicker with eachother and shoot everything else. But they need to be there.

They havent been left out. There was one in Purge the Unclean. Therefore the basis for them does exist. I just dont think I would really want my players to be them. I dont think they are that awesome and cool and frankly would rather run a dirty scum Necromunda game then a ultramarines game.

Not saying I would never run such a game, and I will buy the book, but Im just not as interested in them. I think they have many role play potential, but I also see the book as just being a Palladium Rifts book. Nothing but bigger and bigger andbigger guns.

Id just rather have these rare super soldiers left in the background with occassional NPC appearances.

Guess we will have to wait and see. I think this year we should be more concerned with Rogue Trader, that is only just over 6 months away.

Peacekeeper_b said:

In fact Space Marines are my least favorite aspect of 40K.

Thats nice.

Meanwhile Marines continue to sell three times as much as the next best selling army (chaos space marines) and it remains foolish in the extreme to waste time on anything else.

Might have something to do that they put space marines in every starter box set there is, so new players just build on what is given them.

Or that a large protion of the TT fans are 13 year old boys.

And that most role players are a bit more sophisticated about characterization and story then just "big gun, big shoot"

He may be right...I for one have never had an interest in 40k until DH. Period.

Referring to what I said upthread, if you want a space marines sort of game so bad, find a copy of Waste World. It's not 40k, but it surely would give you a feel for what a space marines oriented game might be like. Pretty much you kill things, or get a bigger gun/chainsword/whatever to kill things. Not a bad game, pretty good system in fact, and had a couple of really good supplements. A game which consists only of killing things with bigger and better weapons gets boring quickly, though, believe me.

Being new to 40k, somebody said the Tau are anime like? Eh, that is a big negative for me. Can you elaborate?

He may be right...I for one have never had an interest in 40k until DH. Period.

Referring to what I said upthread, if you want a space marines sort of game so bad, find a copy of Waste World. It's not 40k, but it surely would give you a feel for what a space marines oriented game might be like. Pretty much you kill things, or get a bigger gun/chainsword/whatever to kill things. Not a bad game, pretty good system in fact, and had a couple of really good supplements. A game which consists only of killing things with bigger and better weapons gets boring quickly, though, believe me.

Being new to 40k, somebody said the Tau are anime like? Eh, that is a big negative for me. Can you elaborate?

Eh, like it all you want, I have issue with that. But dont assume everyone agrees with you.

Obviously the designers of this game, which sold out completely, didnt agree with you.

And that clip, not space marines.

The first thing that pops into my head when I think of WH40k?

Long Las rifles and Heavy Bolters. But then, my character is an assassin and I love him very much, even though he's an evil bastard.

The Inquisition and Rogue Traders are what springs to mind when I think WH40K, so many layers to explore.

That and one of the best backgrounds for an RPG...

That's why I'm buzzed about DH and RT...

Until we hear more about Death Watch I'll keep an objective mind...

Dak Rogers said:

The first thing that pops into my head when I think of WH40k?

Long Las rifles and Heavy Bolters. But then, my character is an assassin and I love him very much, even though he's an evil bastard.

This is, of course, not to say that I'm only into having a big gun and killing a lot. I'd be down to attempt the RP of an SM, but I'd be bored out of my mind if that's all I could play or that was the only mechanically viable class / career.

Also, I'm totally juiced about RT and seeing how they expand the DH classes beyond Rank 8.

Huros said:

Vrashk said:

I mean come on, what is the first thing that pops into mind when you say WH40k?  

Man Sauce and Grim Dark... Lashings of it.

Quite possibly the funniest thing I've read in minutes. At least.

+++++I for one have never had an interest in 40k until DH.+++++

Yeah - its a game for people disatisfied with 40k rather than a game for 40k fans.

Bit of a waste of the IP really.

grinnock said:

Lord knows we wouldn't want to grow the fanbase.

Not so much growing it as throwing away all that hard work on growing a fanbase in the first place.

Why make a 40k game not targeted at people who like 40k?

Dezmond, there is a HUGE difference between 'dissatisfied' and plain old 'don't like'.

Perhaps they are/were trying to EXPAND the 40K fanbase?

I mean, I'm sorry you are dissatisfied with DH, but I really like it, and I don't get into miniatures. Never have. Ergo, expansion of fanbase and interest in the setting in general. Besides, you will probably get what you want with Deathwatch. Why begrudge us who like slightly dfferent aspects of the hobby our pleasures?

Dezmond said:

grinnock said:

Lord knows we wouldn't want to grow the fanbase.

Not so much growing it as throwing away all that hard work on growing a fanbase in the first place.

Why make a 40k game not targeted at people who like 40k?

Simple economics, my friend. They already had you and other 40k fans. They wanted to expand their fan base for higher profit, instead of catering solely to those who were already giving them money, e.g. current 40k fans and customers.

I also had no interest in WH or WH40k until DH and WHFRP, since I don't like miniatures battle games. This system / setting will be my fifth, and I think it's great.

I'm not really sure what you are complaining about any how. Once Deathwatch comes out, there will be space marines and high powered combat in 40k Roleplaying. Besides, as long as your GM doesn't throw stuff at you that you have to run from all the time, you can feel pretty bad ass in DH, you just always have to be tactical.

Dezmond said:

Yeah - its a game for people disatisfied with 40k rather than a game for 40k fans.

Bit of a waste of the IP really.

I know many fans of 40k who love Dark Heresy.  I just do not get how you confuse 40k with Space Marines.  The setting is so much more complex and detailed than 'men in powerarmour'.  It's boring to think that every game that comes out should be about SMs simply because they sell more. 

Besides, Dark Heresy has sold extremely well so I think there are plenty of people who want something more than SMs.  Do you honestly think that Black Industries, who were part of Games Workshop, would be that foolish to throw away something you think is essential to the setting?   

+++++I also had no interest in WH or WH40k until DH

I really like it, and I don't get into miniatures. Never have.

I for one have never had an interest in 40k until DH+++++

Just sayin - not a game for 40k fans. Good job.

Dezmond said:

+++++I also had no interest in WH or WH40k until DH

I really like it, and I don't get into miniatures. Never have.

I for one have never had an interest in 40k until DH+++++

Just sayin - not a game for 40k fans.

I think it is a game for 40k fans, just not a game for people who are singularly fans of 40k battle miniatures game. I think with RP heavy games like this, you can dig more into the lore of the setting.