Sign in to follow this  
Captain Harlock

Barracks and landing craft....

personally I use drop ships to transport the troops gives them more incentive to capture the land otherwise it will be really hard to get a flight home :D

Don't forget there are rules for modifying a Transports Main Cargo Hold into a full blown hangar, i think it's in BFK. Do that, stick a barracks on there, and add a squadren or 2 of the appropriate craft, and you should have everything you need to invade a planet.

Regarding how many troops each Barracks component can store, I find it's best to pull a leaf from the Ground War rules and use the value of Unit Strength rather than the actual number of people. Unit Strength is an abstract value that can be used with infantry, mechanized infantry, armor, artillery, or anything. Three points of Unit Strength might represent a platoon of Imperial Guardsmen or a single Leman Russ Battle Tank. Since I agree that the rule for number of small craft per ship being based off the ship's space is inspired, why not do the same for troops? My proposal: Each Barracks Component can hold a number of points of Unit Strength equal to the ship's Space x 20. If the ship is also equipped with a Cargo Bay Component, units with mechanized elements (mechanized infantry, armor, artillery, air support, etc) count as half their actual size for the purpose of space in a Barracks Component, as the vehicles are stored as cargo while the troops stay in the barracks.

With regards to landing craft, that's quite a pickle. I've been inspired by the landing craft in pictures like this and this, and in both examples the craft share two aspects that stand out to me; being far too large to fit in conventional ship landing bays, and being able to land hundreds if not thousands of troops at a time. Still, practically speaking, I see four solutions. I'll list them in order from grandest to simplest:

1.  Ships of 3km in length or smaller (Frigates, Raiders, most Transports) are capable of safely landing and lifting-off from the surface of a planet. This is supported by the rules of Battlefleet Gothic, and would allow you to put as many troops as you want wherever you want any time you want. If this seems too general, perhaps a special Component or Ship Upgrade has to be added to allow for such landings. This could lead to what Ground War describes as "specially configured voidships" as you may want to put multiple Barracks Components on your landing ship.

2. Ships are capable of docking or towing ships smaller than themselves but too large to fit in conventional landing bays through the warp. Again, this ability could be provided by a special Component or Ship Upgrade. The smaller "parasite" ships are without warp drives, and could be used to haul additional troops and resources, or could be used exclusively for massed troop landings as depicted in the pictures linked above. The size of the parasite ships depends on what you think is too large to fit in a conventional landing bay. They could, in effect, be very small craft in the voidship scale, with attributes something like a small transport. Or they could be on the truly massive end of the personal vehicle scale. Or somewhere in between.

3. Landing craft are specialty support squadrons that interact with conventional landing bays in the same way as all other attack craft. You may want to design your own rules for both the attack craft squadron and the individual craft on the personal vehicle scale. Or you could use a Shark Assault Boat, and simply stipulate that it can also make planetary assault-landings, with the option to carry a vehicle such as a tank instead of 50 soldiers.

4. Each Barracks Component comes pre-equiped with enough landing craft to service all military units stowed in the Barracks. Since if you are purchasing a Barracks, you're probably getting all the trappings you'd need to use it properly too. You may want to design your own landing craft, but these should not be used as assault boats in voidship combat, or if they are they should be used at a penalty.